Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

4/14 Delta Fueling Computer down. All flights delayed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2021, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador

Am flying ATW-ATL-SEA today 4/14 and they just announced their computer system is down system wide. This affects the fueling/weight system. They said all delta flights are delayed and don’t worry about connections because those flights will also be delayed.

Anyone else hear this or is our gate agent just pulling this out of no where?
Old Apr 14, 2021, 5:08 am

At MSP right now and they just announced this here as well.
Droundtheworld likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 5:44 am

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Nothing here in Orlando. Still on time departure of 9:33. Inbound aircraft is on its way and not delayed either.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 5:47 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I don't think this is a super wide spread issue or it was quickly resolved. I've checked a ton of flights and they seem to be operating on time.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 5:52 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
Hopefully minor. Lately delta already has two black eyes
itsabravenewworld likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 5:55 am

At MSP it ended up being about a 20 minute delay and then boarding started. They didn’t sound optimistic at first but fortunately ended up not being a big deal.
kthomas likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by mspdoc
At MSP it ended up being about a 20 minute delay and then boarding started. They didn’t sound optimistic at first but fortunately ended up not being a big deal.
They just released us to take off as well. Original flight was 5:45, delayed until 6:57.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 6:12 am

Still sitting

7 am flight still sitting at gate in Tampa at 8:10 with no update.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 6:41 am

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
still on time here MCO to CVG. Crew just boarded. we board in 10 min. must be sporadic or only impacting the hubs maybe?
Old Apr 14, 2021, 7:05 am

I doubt this will impact only certain stations as the computer that does all these calculations is at HQ.
Once boarded pilots upload all details like no. of pax, cargo/fuel load etc into an ipad app and that tells them fuel burn rate, route, cruise altitude, additional fuel to take (normally at the destination) etc.

This will only impact flights that are ready to go and maybe as a precaution they will also hold boarding for flights which are ready to board. If the issue is intermittent then likely it is a connectivity glitch on computer side
Droundtheworld likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 7:29 am

Just pushed back in mco headed to runway. Right on time.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 7:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
FlightAware shows 2 cancellations and 75 delays for today so far. 3 percent of flights.
itsabravenewworld and kthomas like this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:02 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Several years ago flying on AA out of JFK to ZRH, the fuel distribution system for the entire airport was DOWN. The pilot was at the GATE answering questions and noting various scenarios, like "have fuel delivered by truck, enough to get us to Boston, take on the required amount of fuel there". The GPS system came back and we took off. The AA pilot's positive actions were uncharacteristic for AA at the time. The current DL would have cancelled my flt under the same situation.
kthomas and ryw like this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:39 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Hmmm. So this isn't why the Medallion line tells me that they can call me back in 11 hours?!
Old Apr 14, 2021, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
Several years ago flying on AA out of JFK to ZRH, the fuel distribution system for the entire airport was DOWN. The pilot was at the GATE answering questions and noting various scenarios, like "have fuel delivered by truck, enough to get us to Boston, take on the required amount of fuel there". The GPS system came back and we took off. The AA pilot's positive actions were uncharacteristic for AA at the time. The current DL would have cancelled my flt under the same situation.
Reminds me of a similar situation flying STT-MIA a number of years ago. I'm not exactly sure what the problem was at STT, either there was a fuel shortage or the airport was gouging airlines for Jet A (given it's the Caribbean I suppose anything is possible). At any rate, the captain announced we would make a quick stop in SJU to refuel and then be on the way to Miami. It only ended up being around a 20 minute diversion and needless to say I'm sure the pilot flying enjoyed the STT departure in the very light 757 for the 18 minute flight to SJU.

TL/DR: it's always nice when the pilots use a combination of critical thinking and creative problem solving to make the flight happen anyway despite the normal procedures being FUBAR.

Originally Posted by kthomas
Hmmm. So this isn't why the Medallion line tells me that they can call me back in 11 hours?!
No, that's just the 'new normal' at Delta.
ryandc99, MSPeconomist and kthomas like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.