Wiki Posts
Search

AA FTV on BA flights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2021, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
AA FTV on BA flights

Have just cancelled an internal routing in the USA on AA and have a FTV for 3 to the value of about $1000. As I have to complete travel by end of March next year I thought the easiest way to use this would be on a short haul from London. But I can't see any availability on the routes I' interested on on AA.com.

Am I doing something wrong? Every time I fly, then I'm sure there is an AA code share flight number too
Old Apr 14, 2021, 2:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I understand you are looking to book standalone revenue BA flights within Europe on aa.com and use your AA voucher? I don't think AA will sell standalone BA flights within Europe though - I suppose in the same way BA won't sell you standalone AA internal flights. Although these flight will be codeshared, the codeshare may only be available when connecting to/from a oneworld transatlantic flight.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

To book a short haul flight from london on an aa code I think you will have to book it with TATL flight ie you could not book lhr-cdg as an aa flight on it's own

Regards

Tbs

Ps- got to be quick these days-was beaten again
Old Apr 14, 2021, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks for the answers. makes sense.

This could prove a tricky one to use!
Old Apr 14, 2021, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC
I've also found that if the original flight originated in the US and you received Flight Credit then the credit also has to be used on a US originating flight ( certainly does in my case ! )
Old Apr 14, 2021, 9:12 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
To further expand on the why the standalone codeshare can't be booked; AA don't have the rights (freedoms) to fly within Europe (nor BA within the USA), and so fares aren't even filed for those point to point codeshares.

The old IATA fares (YIF/CIF) would incorrectly quote if the inter-European flights were manually booked, but the price was usually enough to prevent anyone actually buying them...
Old Apr 15, 2021, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by JAXBA
To further expand on the why the standalone codeshare can't be booked; AA don't have the rights (freedoms) to fly within Europe (nor BA within the USA), and so fares aren't even filed for those point to point codeshares.
In an odd twist of fate, American carriers did actually get the right to fly intra-EU flights under the open skies deal - anyone remember the short-lived LHR-BRU runs AA did after 9/11 to keep their London slots alive and get cheaper parking rates during the day? They were allowed to sell tickets for it. I think UA might have done the same too. Hasn’t happened again since, to my knowledge at least.

You’re right about European carriers in the US though. There was a quotation in the newspapers at the time when someone asked why the imbalance had been allowed. The US government spokesman said “I guess they’re just not as good at negotiating as us.”
Old Apr 15, 2021, 4:00 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
your question is best suited for the AA page because there are three different types of "vouchers/flight credits" right now for AA. presumably you are NOT a US resident which means you likely have a "flight credit" and not a "travel voucher" -- but you may have a "trip credit" because it does not sound like you have an "eVoucher" (the most flexible).

regardless, if the original ticket originated within the US, then the new ticket must originate in the US. further, depending on exactly which type of "voucher" you received, it will determine if you must use the remaining credits for the named passenger on the underlying ticket.

but again, the AA forum if your friend here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.