Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Check in to enjoy your elite benefits... just kidding!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2021, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold

Have a personal trip to Chicago this weekend, plus a pile of Chase points. Booked a stay at the Gwen with Chase points a few weeks ago, assuming it works the same as booking airline tickets with Chase points (basically, same as cash.)

Got an email today from the Gwen (technically from The Luxury Collection <[email protected]>, but email header is The Gwen, a Luxury Collection Hotel)

Click the link, takes me to the app, reservation doesn't show. Click Find a Reservation. Enter in confirmation number. Reservation pops up, with no other options than "Add to Profile". (It does list a payment method of a MasterCard that isn't mine, which I assume is a placeholder for Chase paying them.)

Click Add To Profile. Get error message, "Need some help? Please call Customer Care at +1 800 627 7468"

Call customer care. Inform them that I have a Chase points booking that I am trying to add to my account to check-in, they inform me that since it's a 3rd party booking that this is not possible.

I'm familiar with exclusive rates when going through the vendor's website, but this is the first time I have encountered earning NO points and NO status and getting NO credit for status when booking through a 3rd party website.

Was the customer service agent I was talking to mistaken, or is Marriott sending out these emails asking me to do something impossible just to rub it in my face?

I booked a Marriott with these points due to the loyalty program and benefits. If Marriott is indeed going to refuse elite benefits on 3rd party bookings this sounds like a great opportunity to use these points on other brands, and I most certainly would have done so on this booking.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 8:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
This is not unique to Marriott. This is the case with every major hotel brand and is not new. I am not sure why you expected any different.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 8:32 pm

Programs: Yes
Benefits are only available on eligible rates. I’ll let someone else chime in for what the Chase portal allows, but if you booked via a 3rd party on a rate that’s ineligible for benefits this is hardly Marriott’s fault.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by porphyra
This is not unique to Marriott. This is the case with every major hotel brand and is not new. I am not sure why you expected any different.
I expected different when Marriott sent me an email telling me to check in to access my elite benefits.

I almost never book 3rd party for hotel rooms, but do sometimes for airlines and rental cars... neither of which preclude participating in the loyalty program for airline tickets or car rentals, so I'm surprised it is different for hotels.

Even *IF* this rate is not eligible for points/benefits, that doesn't preclude allowing me to add the reservation to my app to check in.

Originally Posted by anteater
Benefits are only available on eligible rates. I’ll let someone else chime in for what the Chase portal allows, but if you booked via a 3rd party on a rate that’s ineligible for benefits this is hardly Marriott’s fault.
The Chase travel portal runs through Expedia, which at least for airlines / rental cars books into retail rates, which is one of the upsides of using Chase points to book; you still get the program points you get with retail rates.

But I did just find in the Marriott T&C where 3rd party websites are excluded from qualifying rates. Guess I'll save my Chase points for airfare.

Regardless, Marriott sent me an email saying I would get elite benefits, and even though it's apparently not a qualifying rate, doesn't mean they can't associate the reservation with my account so I can check in online, especially when they send me an email asking me to do exactly that!

And Marriott shouldn't be sending me emails offering elite benefits if they aren't going to provide them!

Last edited by raehl311; Apr 14, 2021 at 4:11 am
Old Apr 14, 2021, 4:13 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
From the t&c

2.1.f. Non-Qualifying Rates. A “Non-Qualifying Rate” is a rate a Member pays for a Stay in a guest room at a Participating Property which does not qualify to earn Points or Miles, as well as membership tier benefits. Non-Qualifying Rates are those booked using the following methods:

i. The guest room was booked through a tour operator, online travel channel or other third-party channel including, without limitation, expedia.com, hotwire.com, priceline.com, orbitz.com, booking.com, travelocity.com; or
Old Apr 14, 2021, 7:09 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
When I booked Marriott vacation club properties through a third party (Interval World), I only got the elite night credits, not points.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 7:36 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
As others have already covered, The Marriott Bonvoy Program T's & C's state you are not entitled to benefits (nor stay credit) for this type of booking. I agree Marriott shouldn't send you a check in email referring to your benefits when this type of reservation is booked. It just creates unnecessary confusion. You can always politely ask for elite benefits at check in time and I think most properties will grant your request as a courtesy. It is totally at their discretion and you have no recourse if they don't.

Different but related question. I believe with Chase Rewards, though I am far from an expert on the program, you can pay for a property with your Chase Card and then retroactively request credit on your Chase bill. If that is correct, on the surface you would be better off using that method rather than having Chase book the room for you via their portal. From Marriott's perspective, it would like any other normal reservation you paid with your credit card and you would get points and elite night credit. Is there an advantage to booking via the Chase Rewards portal where it costs less points than retroactively reimbursing yourself?

--Jon
Old Apr 14, 2021, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
I believe with Chase Rewards, though I am far from an expert on the program, you can pay for a property with your Chase Card and then retroactively request credit on your Chase bill. If that is correct, on the surface you would be better off using that method rather than having Chase book the room for you via their portal. From Marriott's perspective, it would like any other normal reservation you paid with your credit card and you would get points and elite night credit. Is there an advantage to booking via the Chase Rewards portal where it costs less points than retroactively reimbursing yourself?

--Jon
not really
you redeem 1.5cent/point by booking via chase rewards portal. Chase likes this because they earn commission from the portal (maybe even markup if you don't price compare with outside travel agencies)

if you redeem after the fact, it'll just be redeeming points against purchases (statement credit ) or redeeming points for cash. Chase brands this as 'pay yourself back'
generally only 1 cent/pt, though they temporarily raised it to 1.5cent/point for supermarket/dining (but not travel)
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/chase-pay-yourself-back/

(You may be looking at the annual $300 travel credit. That one mean you get credit back for the first $300 in travel purchases made in a year, can be directly with airline or hotel, or usually any online travel agency too or tolls)
Old Apr 14, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Kmxu
When I booked Marriott vacation club properties through a third party (Interval World), I only got the elite night credits, not points.
Lucky you even got that.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 10:02 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Lucky you even got that.
I did not qualify for the double elite promotion this year with my Interval booking (check that thread; I was not the only person with this kind of booking; https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33091192-post582.html). But I have had a perfect record on getting elite night credits in the past two years.
escapefromphl likes this.

Last edited by Kmxu; Apr 14, 2021 at 10:10 am
Old Apr 14, 2021, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
call the hotel. They can add your MR# and it should show up. They may not want to do that ... but they can.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:18 pm

Well this is expected. You booked through 3rd party, so they handle everything. Hotel makes less so they also give you less benefits.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 6:32 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by cfischer
call the hotel. They can add your MR# and it should show up. They may not want to do that ... but they can.
I have a booking for next month at the Las Vegas Marriott made with Chase points. I called the hotel to add my rewards number. They tried but could not. I also called Marriott, the rep was very nice and also tried but could not add my rewards number.

I will ask for the breakfast benefit when I check in, there is no other benefit that I need for this stay. We will see if they do it.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MW147
I have a booking for next month at the Las Vegas Marriott made with Chase points. I called the hotel to add my rewards number. They tried but could not. I also called Marriott, the rep was very nice and also tried but could not add my rewards number.

I will ask for the breakfast benefit when I check in, there is no other benefit that I need for this stay. We will see if they do it.
ugh, that must be a new enhancement then. Yuck. Have been successful in the past.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 3:59 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (LT Silver), United Silver
I'm not familiar with how it works in the US, but here in China, if one books via a third-party agency (such as ctrip.com), one does enjoy elite benefits (welcome amenities, lounge access and upgrades) but receive no night or point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.