Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA codeshare on Jetblue, 5 questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA codeshare on Jetblue, 5 questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2021, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Question Booking AA codeshare on Jetblue, 5 questions

Hello. My wife and I plan to fly from JAX to JFK on AA codeshare flight on Jetblue flight. I am AA Platinum, my wife has no AA status. We have no status on Jetblue.
Questions - can we use the following to pay:
1) Citi/AA $125 Discount Vouchers? (we have 1 each). These are from spending $20K+ with a Citi-AA CC. It says also good for any oneworld flight OR AA codeshare flight. It has "upper 1" after flight, but no explanation anywhere.
2) AA "Virtual Gift card" received after a flight was cancelled a year ago. Again, one in my name, one in my wife's name.
And non-pay questions:
3) Jetblue is only 1-class economy. But they have seats called "Even more space". Can I get such seats with AA 500-miles upgrades? How?
4) Can I do advance seat selection, as AA Platinum? On Jetblue site it says that advance seat selection costs extra.
5) Jetblue have 3 ticket types: Basic Blue, Blue, Blue extra. Looks that AA tickets are Blue (AA same price as Blue on Jetblue site).
For both Blue and Blue extra, Jetblue charges for checked bag. Will I get at least 1 free checked bag for myself as AA Platinum?
Old Apr 13, 2021, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by IntFF
Hello. My wife and I plan to fly from JAX to JFK on AA codeshare flight on Jetblue flight. I am AA Platinum, my wife has no AA status. We have no status on Jetblue.
1) Citi/AA $125 Discount Vouchers? (we have 1 each). These are from spending $20K+ with a Citi-AA CC. It says also good for any oneworld flight OR AA codeshare flight. It has "upper 1" after flight, but no explanation anywhere.
2) AA "Virtual Gift card" received after a flight was cancelled a year ago. Again, one in my name, one in my wife's name.
And non-pay questions:
3) Jetblue is only 1-class economy. But they have seats called "Even more space". Can I get such seats with AA 500-miles upgrades? How?
4) Can I do advance seat selection, as AA Platinum? On Jetblue site it says that advance seat selection costs extra.
5) Jetblue have 3 ticket types: Basic Blue, Blue, Blue extra. Looks that AA tickets are Blue (AA same price as Blue on Jetblue site).
For both Blue and Blue extra, Jetblue charges for checked bag. Will I get at least 1 free checked bag for myself as AA Platinum?
For 1 & 2, as long as you purchase the flight at aa.com (booked as an AA flight number) then you should be able to use your Citi discount voucher and/or your AA gift card.

For everything else, there are no reciprocal benefits at this time as far as I know with regards to seating, luggage, etc. You cannot use your 500-mi upgrades to get an "Even More Space" seat.

This is still a really new partnership and it sounds like reciprocal benefits will be gradually rolled out over time; From the AA press release:

Over time, customers will also be able to redeem points or miles on either carrier and the airlines are exploring opportunities to recognize American’s AAdvantage elite members and JetBlue Mosaic customers across both airlines. More details will be announced to loyalty program members later this year.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 9:02 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by IntFF
And non-pay questions:
1. You should be able to based on what I've seen, but the partnership is quite new.
2. Ditto.
3. No.
4. AA* codeshares on B6 are not basic economy, so you should be able to select your seat regardless of status.
5. You will almost certainly have to pay for bags.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Report for everyone:
I booked the flights. When it came time to pay I got only an option to pay with Gift Cards (of cancelled flights), not with Citi/AA Discount vouchers. So, I put on hold (24hr).
I called AA. The agent processed our Citi/AA Discount vouchers, 1 for each of us (code +pin).
Then I asked if I can pay the rest with gift card/s. Agent said: you cannot combine Citi/AA Discount voucher with a gift card. So, I paid with a CC
This was OK because the Citi/AA Discount vouchers have 1 year validity, while the gift cards do not expire.
For seats. Looks no way to use AA 500-miles upgrades.
The agent had access to seat map, but could book for me only regular seats not the "Even More Space Seats". We did.
VFR likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Another update:
I found my reservation on Jetblue site. Actually AA provided the Jetblue reservation code.
But on Jetblue it said: Looks your reservation booked thru another airline, contact them. Could not do anything.
Reservation on Jetblue showed no seats. When I went back to AA acct, the seats that I got (and showed) were gone.
I ended calling Jetblue (1 hour wait for answer, but agent was very nice), booked Even More Space Seats and paid for them. Got email conform from Jetblue.
Old May 2, 2021, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
More questions:

(6) I have a bunch of AA $250 e-gift cards. Can I use them to purchase B6 flights (on AA.com website, using AA flight #) (According to virtual GC website
Gift cards may only be used for travel on flights marketed by American Airlines, including those operated by American EagleŽ, oneworldŽ airlines, and by other codeshare partners with an American Airlines flight number.

(7) Once I purchase the ticket, can I then purchase Even More Space seats from JetBlue or am I locked out because it is a codeshare? (there is no option to select seats on the AA website - it says to contact B6)

(8) I have a B6 credit card and also an AA card - can I get a free checked bag if I use them to pay for a ticket?

Last edited by Boraxo; May 2, 2021 at 1:25 am
Old May 2, 2021, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Boraxo
More questions:

(6) I have a bunch of AA $250 e-gift cards. Can I use them to purchase B6 flights (on AA.com website, using AA flight #) (According to virtual GC website
Gift cards may only be used for travel on flights marketed by American Airlines, including those operated by American EagleŽ, oneworldŽ airlines, and by other codeshare partners with an American Airlines flight number.

(7) Once I purchase the ticket, can I then purchase Even More Space seats from JetBlue or am I locked out because it is a codeshare? (there is no option to select seats on the AA website - it says to contact B6)

(8) I have a B6 credit card and also an AA card - can I get a free checked bag if I use them to pay for a ticket?
6 & 7 were answered above, yes and yes.

8: with AA credit cards you do not have to actually pay for the ticket with the card in order to receive the checked bag benefit. I would check the terms of the B6 card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.