Search

TLV-EWR this week, EWR-TLV next week

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2021, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, LY Silver
TLV-EWR this week, EWR-TLV next week

Hello fellow FTers,

I'm booked on TLV-EWR (UA91) later this week and back (UA90) middle of next week. The airport just reopened yesterday, but even so, I am surprised to see that UA91 was canceled yesterday, today, and tomorrow (next scheduled for Wednesday). A couple questions:
  • Anyone know why? Was it because of the inbound passenger count limits Ben Gurion imposed?
  • Anyone know how far in advance these flights were canceled?
I'm particularly concerned about my return flight being canceled. Flights to Israel before the election on the 23rd will likely be hard to come by and I'd be in a tough position if I get stuck in NY indefinitely.

TIA!
Old Mar 8, 2021, 1:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA Flight Status states for the 8th
UA 90: Your upcoming United flight to Tel Aviv has been canceled because of travel restrictions issued by the Israeli government.
Flights (UA90) are still on the schedule for the 9th and 10th

UA91 on the 9th -- "Your flight is canceled because of an unexpected operational issue. We're sorry for the inconvenience."
The 10th is still scheduled

UA91 is dependent on the arriving flight UA90 to have the needed aircraft
yonajon and Auto Enthusiast like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 8, 2021 at 2:05 pm
Old Mar 8, 2021, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA Flight Status states

UA91 on the 9th -- "Your flight is canceled because of an unexpected operational issue. We're sorry for the inconvenience."
Thanks. This helps.

I was going off the status that Google gives when searching for UA90. They’re wrong. Lesson learned.

Is there a way to know how far in advance today’s UA90 was canceled?

Thanks again!
Old Mar 8, 2021, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yonajon
Thanks. This helps.

I was going off the status that Google gives when searching for UA90. They’re wrong. Lesson learned.

Is there a way to know how far in advance today’s UA90 was canceled?

Thanks again!
Looks like UA84 and UA90 cancelled yesterday (7Mar) at about 1140h EST.

Not totally clear what is happening. My colleague was on UA84 today and had gone to the airport before finding out it was cancelled. Oops! 😣
Old Mar 8, 2021, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA Flight Status states for the 8th

UA91 is dependent on the arriving flight UA90 to have the needed aircraft
That is also the message displayed for UA84 now. Earlier today, UA84 had the same message currently showing for UA90, "Your upcoming United flight to Tel Aviv has been canceled because of travel restrictions issued by the Israeli government":

That also matches what was passed on to me — something about a government restriction.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 2:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The UA90 on the 7th and 8th were cancelled at 11:24 AM & 11:42AM EWR time both on the 7th March
Found from flight details (logged on free account) on www.flightstats.com (but details are also on ExpertFLyer / KVS and Flightaware?)
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

My return flight is before the election - I booked it this way intentionally as I figured that would ensure that it goes out as planned.That said, I'm still concerned. If my return flight gets canceled, it will be impossible to find an open seat to get back.

Also, I'm a bit perplexed. UA/EF is showing 0 availability for my EWR-TLV flight this week, but from monitoring the seat map, more and more seats have been becoming free in the past few days. This suggests to me that UA is not selling tickets for the flight, perhaps out of concern it'll get canceled.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 8, 2021 at 11:59 pm Reason: removed quote and comment of deleted post
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:52 pm

Programs: United 1K, 1.9MM
My flight on UA91 for Monday March 8th was cancelled at 18:35 on Sunday March 7th.
I will not try to reschedule, as I am afraid of not being able to return prior to the election and Passover. I think united will be forced to cancel more flights.
I had 3 flights cancelled while in NYC in February and I was delayed getting to TLV by over 2 weeks.That despite that I had approval of the Exceptions Committee to fly.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:25 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Just got word from UA that they're also adding back some UA84/85 flights.
Things should be OK, at least until the election on March 23rd. Safe travels!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 9, 2021 at 10:24 am Reason: removed quote of deleted post
Old Mar 9, 2021, 1:09 pm

When Israel closed the airport/country, it was irrelevant if you had already been approved by the exceptions committee.,Those approvals were reversed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.