Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrade waitlist drop from one to four T1? (Upgrade priority)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2021, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat

Flying SLC ORD, I was #1 on WL 12 hours out. Flight twelve hours out and one hour out was J1 Y0 (seatmap showed three empty F seats T1). Essentially sold out flight.

At T1 I was still #1 on WL. Flight was still J1 Y0. In a matter of minutes I went to #4 on the UG list. Mil, W,...SMI,K...SMI V, all jumped ahead of me at T1. No cancelled or delayed flights out of SLC. Made no sense to me, as they could not purchase a last minute seat as none were available.

I have taken advantage of EXP full fare Y availability when a flight was at Y0, but sense that did not happen T1.

Any thoughts on how I could drop from #1 to #4 on a sold out Y flight at T1? Not that it is relevant but I am a high spend EXP that requalified in 2020. Made no sense.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
They may have checked in at T1 and then ended up on the list.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 6:11 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
That would be my guess as well -- the other passengers hadn't checked in yet.
donotblink likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I guess I am not use to a checking in T1, but others must do that. Makes sense. Thanks.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A significant percentage of passengers still check in at the counter / kiosk and T-1 would be about the time that happens.
KBMIFlyer and donotblink like this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
As noted, the airport upgrade list gets updated when people check in.
For the 2 "SMI" people, that could have been only one of them being senior to you, and the other upgraded because of that one.
So, basically only 2 people at a higher level than you, and a tag along.

Last edited by mvoight; Mar 8, 2021 at 8:24 am
Old Mar 8, 2021, 9:57 am

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
Flying SLC ORD, I was #1 on WL 12 hours out. Flight twelve hours out and one hour out was J1 Y0 (seatmap showed three empty F seats T1). Essentially sold out flight.

At T1 I was still #1 on WL. Flight was still J1 Y0. In a matter of minutes I went to #4 on the UG list. Mil, W,...SMI,K...SMI V, all jumped ahead of me at T1. No cancelled or delayed flights out of SLC. Made no sense to me, as they could not purchase a last minute seat as none were available.

I have taken advantage of EXP full fare Y availability when a flight was at Y0, but sense that did not happen T1.

Any thoughts on how I could drop from #1 to #4 on a sold out Y flight at T1? Not that it is relevant but I am a high spend EXP that requalified in 2020. Made no sense.
if the ones that jumped ahead of you are same status EXP then it goes by highest spend.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:15 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum

Hope it's not all those CKs heading home from Park City again.

I agree with the above responses -- most likely last-minute check-ins from people who were already ahead of you on the list -- they could have been CKs, EPs using miles/copay or SWUs, or simply higher spend EPs. It also looks you may have had a companion upgrader jump ahead of you, based on the names you posted. Additionally, full fare Y no longer trumps other fare classes on the upgrade list, so that wouldn't explain it.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

"""Hope it's not all those CKs heading home from Park City again."""

Nah, I was flying to ORD. Not get into that subject, but Chairman Parker has dumped ORD, and likely is not working hard by giving away CKs in Chicago to buy influence. I doubt many CKs in Chicago heading to SLC in a CR7, with one latrine in the rear of the aircraft, when they can fly UA or DL on a main line jet. As I was sitting in coach, saw a lot of United tags on the roller bags pass me by.....

BTW, although AA did add a single mainline jet between ORD and SLC for the end of ski season.

AA added two daily 321s between SLC and CLT, which is a new daily route for AA (use to be just weekend only service for ski season)...
madmanshoney likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 1:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
AA added two daily 321s between SLC and CLT, which is a new daily route for AA (use to be just weekend only service for ski season)...
US flew CLT-SLC for years before the AA merger. If memory serves, 3x day, possibly more. At least from when the HP-US merger happened (and I'm sure it existed prior, but that is when I started paying attention to US).

This thread might be handy for you to review, regarding changes to the upgrade list:
Lost upgrade / upgraded seat shenanigans? [master thread]
GunsOfNavarone likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
So did any of #1, #2, or #3 eventually clear? If not, the whole thing made no difference. You just end up fourth loser instead of first loser.
aztimm likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by metallo
I agree with the above responses -- most likely last-minute check-ins
I agree too, except T-1 (assuming that means one hour before departure) isn't exactly a last-minute check-in anyway. As noted, if you're checking in at the airport, that would be pretty typical, certainly not unusually late and plenty of slop time before the 45 minute cutoff.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ashill
I agree too, except T-1 (assuming that means one hour before departure) isn't exactly a last-minute check-in anyway. As noted, if you're checking in at the airport, that would be pretty typical, certainly not unusually late and plenty of slop time before the 45 minute cutoff.
Should I have said last 15 minutes instead of last-minute?
Old Mar 9, 2021, 2:14 am

Many people connecting to international have to check in physically for a doc/health cert check.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 5:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by ashill
I have one related question. There's been times I'm number one on the list and the GA tells me that someone hasn't checked in but they can't release the seat until T-30. So if the cut off is 45 minutes why must the GA wait until T-30 before releasing the seat(s)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.