Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Changing Payment Method after Mobile Check in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2021, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

I had a stay at an Aloft hotel this past weekend. I checked in via the app before I got to the hotel. I showed up at the hotel and wanted to change the credit card that the stay would be charged to. The front desk rep said that once you're checked in via mobile they can't change the payment method. I've done this many times at different hotels/chains. Is this something that Marriott Hotels or particular brands within Marriott do?
Old Mar 7, 2021, 9:22 pm

Was it the same answer when you asked to swap cards at checkout?
Old Mar 7, 2021, 9:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
I've frequently changed payment cards at check out. In China, I use a foreign MasterCard on my account when making the reservation and checking in so the hold is on that but most times pay in RMB using WeChat Pay when actually checking out.

I believe it really depends whether the hotel has actually charged you or just put a hold on your credit card account. In the olden times, my pre-paid rates in, say Thailand where I would go frequently were charged a few days after I made the reservation and while they checked the card when I checked in the charge and payment had already been made some weeks or months in advance so the concept of settling up with a different payment method is moot in this scenario.

However, if they've just placed a hold on your card then settling up with another card when you check out is no problem. The hold on your card will either be cancelled or expire gracefully but it won't in any case hit your credit card bill.

At this Aloft, you should establish if they have actually charged your card or just put a hold on it. If it's the former then you'd need a refund and a second charge which may be problematic for their processes with internal approvals for refunds and the like. If it's the latter then it's BAU to cancel the hold and pay with another payment type.
kauppias, SPN Lifer and samosa like this.

Last edited by ftrichard; Mar 8, 2021 at 4:25 am
Old Mar 7, 2021, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by myperks
Was it the same answer when you asked to swap cards at checkout?
I didn't ask to swap cards at checkout. I assumed it was stuck based upon what the front desk rep said on check in. I usually let them auto check me out and bypass the front desk.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 2:45 am

Never had an issue swapping payment information, will often mobile check in and switch out mid stay.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Sounds like complete nonsense. If that were true, you’d never be able to pay with a gift card after mobile check in. (I only do mobile check in. I don’t even know if you can check in on website.)
Old Mar 8, 2021, 6:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FreeLunch
I didn't ask to swap cards at checkout.
I've always been able to use a different card at check-out.

Even at check-in, it should be possible. My assumption is the agent was either inexperienced or lazy.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Was this a prepaid or rate with a deposit? Once that is done, the property would need to process a credit to the first card and reinitiate the transaction.

On a routine stay where one pays at check out, there is no reason why one cannot change the method of payment.

Strikes me as an issue to raise with a manager.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: DL DM
I have even changed payment method after having already checked out. For these cases, I have needed to call and told them that I need to change payment method. In my case, I have two cards on file (e.g., personal versus business) and explained that it went to the wrong card and needed to change it to the other form of payment. In these instances, I've gotten the new charge to come through for the new card right away with the credit on the prior card lagging by a few days.
margarita girl and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

It wasn't a prepaid rate. It was a standard rate booked from Marriott.com. I was thinking it could've been an inexperienced front desk rep, however, I called the titanium line and they said if the hotel says they can't change it then they can't. I've never heard this before, so I didn't think twice when checking in via mobile.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:40 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I've had the opposite problem, at a JW -- despite having checked in on the app, they insisted on a physical card swipe when I arrived on property. Which was inconvenient only because I'd forgotten to bring the card I actually wanted to use, which had an AMEX offer on it but since I have another stay coming up I just went along with it.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak
I've had the opposite problem, at a JW -- despite having checked in on the app, they insisted on a physical card swipe when I arrived on property. Which was inconvenient only because I'd forgotten to bring the card I actually wanted to use, which had an AMEX offer on it but since I have another stay coming up I just went along with it.
If anything that's more my experience. They want a card swipe in person to make sure you're using the correct card and/or get a local swipe vs card not present.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.