Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Impossible to get through to ticket (can't be done online)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2021, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium

On hold for over 1.5 hours. Click they hang up. This is after trying to choose call back which "invalid option"
Call back - some weird message about ss? is over loaded then ?maybe I'm in a que to talk to an agent. Offered call back in 1-2 hours but no way to select this

This is for a partner award ticket that won't let me purchase online (it was on hold)

Is there weather somewhere or have they just downsized so much that it is unusable? Oh I'm platinum if that matters. Yesterday it took an hour but I was able to get through eventually.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

call 1 - 1.5 hours on hold - they hung up
call 2 2 hours on hold - CONNECTED to a live person "sorry that's a different department" - on hold another hour - they hung up
call 3 - was able to select call back - they called back in an hour - press # when on the line - pressed # "invalid entry", pressed again at the prompt - they hung up
call 4 and 5 (phone and computer) still on hold
They really expect people to do anything they can't do online???? Surely I'm spending no money on AA after using my miles up! (2 million miler here)
Old Mar 6, 2021, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Pretty sure it's "press 1" not #
WindowSeatFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The airlines tend to do their schedule updates on Saturdays. Although it doesn't look like AA did a big one this weekend. UA did a big update of their schedule for Apr 1 - May 5 this weekend.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Pretty sure it's "press 1" not #
Ha, ha, ha - I was using # for a place holder - it said press 1 once I was on the line, then 2 to speak to an agent - and some other choices.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
The airlines tend to do their schedule updates on Saturdays. Although it doesn't look like AA did a big one this weekend. UA did a big update of their schedule for Apr 1 - May 5 this weekend.
Perhaps - but that doesn't explain
1 Putting me on hold for 2 hours then disconnecting (3 times)
2 Failing to allow for call back option (2 times)
etc, etc
BTW - if you are calling about an existing award reservation do not choose "existing reservation" as a choice - the one time I was connected after 2 hours they told me they couldn't do anything b/c it was an award reservation - transferred me "agent will be available in 3 minutes" per auto voice - after hour hold I was disconnected (again)!
Old Mar 6, 2021, 10:23 pm
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Are you calling the general reservation number, or the AAdvantage number?
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer
Are you calling the general reservation number, or the AAdvantage number?
Platinum or exec platinum - doesn't seem to matter. Finally resorted to being on hold both on my phone (number that is registered to my account) and computer -google voice (not registered). After over 2 hours of being on hold and nearly being driven crazy by the hold muzac with intermittent "sorry ...." making it even more difficult to work while on hold I finally got through to a live person who could ticket the itin! Took less than 1 minute for him to do it.
A total of probably 12 hours on hold - after the first 2 hangups after 2 hours of holding switched to using 2 lines at once - it really shouldn't be this hard.
And if it wasn't an award ticket I REALLY wanted (jal first class) I wouldn't have persisted
Old Mar 7, 2021, 3:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Since it is completed now, not going to help for this, but in future could just look at calling AA in a diferent country
Old Mar 7, 2021, 8:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage---LTGold, DL Skymiles
I had 2 awards on hold; one using my miles, one using my husband's account. Went online to pay. I did the one from my account first first since it was more complicated, involving Etihad. No problems. Couldn't do the other. Message said I must call. Called. AA called me back. Agent said she couldn't help but would connect me with someone who could. Waited, waited, agent came on and I went through everything one more time. Agent said she needed to speak with my husband. We've been married 56 years and I have always handled air. This is a first. Put him on. He answered questions and gave her CC number and everything is fine and dandy, ticket issued. I have no idea why, after all these years, he must give his okay. All's well that ends well. Julia
Old Mar 7, 2021, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It has nothing to do with the length of your marriage and everything to do with AA's privacy policy (which it now takes very seriously).

Your husband's account is his alone and no other person's.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Since it is completed now, not going to help for this, but in future could just look at calling AA in a diferent country
Thanks I hadn't thought of that! What is the cheapest way to call to a country where the agents can speak English?
Old Mar 7, 2021, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by estnet
Thanks I hadn't thought of that! What is the cheapest way to call to a country where the agents can speak English?
All AA employees speak English.
The biggest issue with a foreign office is going to be currency; they will charge you in their local currency.
Panama and Ecuador are good as the USD is the local currency.

You should also be able to pay for a JAL award online, even if it was initially held via phone.

Last edited by dls25; Mar 7, 2021 at 11:11 am
Old Mar 7, 2021, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
OP shall I suggest you PM them on Twitter? I use that functionality more than I call and get response usually within a few minutes. They are pretty handy the twitter team. Just make sure to reference a PNR.
FlyDeltaMD88 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 11:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by enviroian
OP shall I suggest you PM them on Twitter? I use that functionality more than I call and get response usually within a few minutes. They are pretty handy the twitter team. Just make sure to reference a PNR.
I second this, even if you don't want to use or have no desire to use Twitter it's useful to have an account just to have another tool to contact customer service.
enviroian likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.