Wiki Posts
Search

When will LH A380's return to service?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2021, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Lufthansa, Alaska, JetBlue
When will LH A380's return to service?

Does anyone know when we can expect to see LH A380's back on the LAX-MUC or LAX-FRA routes?
Old Mar 5, 2021, 2:00 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Oneworld Silver
Originally Posted by FT_wks
Does anyone know when we can expect to see LH A380's back....?
Well there has been some talk on here about fleet decisions and a lot of that over on VFT...

The annual report for 2020 came out yesterday and gave contradictory signs... On the one hand it talks about the entire A380 fleet exiting the company, then talks about 8 of them being mothballed for several years. The type is then not on a list in the same section of the report of aircraft set to depart the fleet.

It also seems that CS said he doesn’t expect them to fly again, but that might have more to do with green pressures in German politics.

Basically it seems they’re saying: 6 of the 14 will definitely go, and the remaining 6 won’t be around for a good few years, but may return if demand picks up well.

... So don’t hold your breath for now but don’t give up hope....
Old Mar 5, 2021, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info; not exactly the answer I was hoping for but I guess the airline industry has taken a huge hit that will take time to recover from. I also wonder when US non-essential travel to Italy, for instance, will again become possible and safe enough for those of us reluctant to risk covid exposure on a vacation. We've been hoping for spring 2022, but the viability of even that does not seem certain.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
My short and straight forward answer to your question: Any time in 2022
Old Mar 5, 2021, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If ever, not before demand supports high-PRASM operations. Nobody in the industry thinks that happens before 2024.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by FT_wks
I also wonder when US non-essential travel to Italy, for instance, will again become possible....

.....We've been hoping for spring 2022....
Well I would hope a bit before that... There is a growing hope that flights between some countries at least will start up again in time for Summer this year. Four years of stupidity in the States came to an end in January- they are now tackling the problem and the figures already look encouraging. In Italy, there has been an unfortunate jump despite a lot of recent progress but they should be able to stem that if their government finally wakes up and gets the vaccination situation sorted rather than bickering with Australia.

I would be more optimistic- I'm not a Covidiot by any means but I really don't think the world can live without (or with very limited) air travel for another whole year !!...
Old Mar 5, 2021, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
....high-PRASM operations...
What does that mean, please?
Old Mar 5, 2021, 3:05 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/l...&utm_campaign=

It's over.

I guess if and when traffic returns to pre-pandemic levels, they will be replaced with smaller aircraft:

Large and medium sized aircraft will drop from six different aircraft types to four. The airline will phase out the Boeing 777-200, along with several Airbus airframes, including their variety of A330s and A340-600.

Replacing them will be a combination of the Boeing 777 and 787 Dreamliner, along with the Airbus A330-300 and A350-900. In their annual report, Lufthansa Group says that the fleet modernization plan will help reduce costs by cutting down on fuel consumption, carbon dioxide emissions and noise pollution.
Anyone know what the J and F configurations of these aircraft will be? Are they or will they be all-aisle access? Or are the 787s like UA, 2-2-2?

I got to fly the 380 and 747 between SFO and FRA I believe, a couple of times.

I believe it was on the upper-deck (definitely have been on AF upper deck).

Passing of the jumbo jet seems like a milestone has passed in aviation history. You see some TV shows and movies where people flying on Pan Am in the '60s and '70s, you saw incredible room. And then the stewardesses were frying eggs and bacon in the galley!

That was certainly before my time.

Jumbo jets were going to die out but the pandemic probably accelerated their demise.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Wish we could turn back the clock, hard to believe that we are living in this crazy new covid-world
Old Mar 5, 2021, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by exp
....Anyone know what the J and F configurations of these aircraft will be?....
Well in C the A350 already delivered have 2-2-2 in an outdated configuration where you have to like other people’s feet. The window seats are not direct aisle access. The type has no F cabin, and there doesn’t seem much chance of one being fitted on current or future models, although there is some suggestion that there could be 4 suites or similar.

If the 779 come at all (instead of the orders being converted to 787), LH has said that it will also be without F. It seems likely that the 787 will also have no F, and I think that could mean the end of F on LH (not necessarily LX) altogether.

A recent statement has said that the new business class, initially slated for 779, will now be launched on either 350 or 787. It features an alternating 1-1-1. / 1-2-1 config with throne seat and direct aisle access for all pax.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by FlyerLX
What does that mean, please?
Passenger Revenue Per Available Seat Mile.

A key measure of profitability. For this purpose, think of it as most passengers in high fare buckets and few on deeply discounted tickets.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 4:38 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by FlyerLX
Well in C the A350 already delivered have 2-2-2 in an outdated configuration where you have to like other people’s feet. The window seats are not direct aisle access. The type has no F cabin, and there doesn’t seem much chance of one being fitted on current or future models, although there is some suggestion that there could be 4 suites or similar.

If the 779 come at all (instead of the orders being converted to 787), LH has said that it will also be without F. It seems likely that the 787 will also have no F, and I think that could mean the end of F on LH (not necessarily LX) altogether.

A recent statement has said that the new business class, initially slated for 779, will now be launched on either 350 or 787. It features an alternating 1-1-1. / 1-2-1 config with throne seat and direct aisle access for all pax.
Thanks have to study LH seat layouts once we get back to a lot of TATL flights again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.