Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with coffee grounds

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2021, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
What to do with coffee grounds

I always just throw out my coffee grounds, in the filter. They go straight into the garbage can. recently, I found out that someone I know places them in a ziploc bag, zips it, and then places that in the garbage. Someone else dumps the grounds down the sink, rinses the filter, and then places the filter in the garbage can.

I've been tempted to save them when I'm planting things, but I usually just pick up a bag or two at Starbucks and use those.

What do you do with coffee grounds?
Old Mar 1, 2021, 7:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
With Nespresso , we return the capsules to them .

The rest ( meaning not Nespresso ) is fertiliser , supposed to be , for our plants .
Old Mar 1, 2021, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Compost. The gardens at the back of my house all link up and there are compost heaps I can add the used coffee to (my husband uses a V60 filter and I use the little Aeropress discs - which turns coffe grounds into a super convenient puck). Otherwise there is a weekly collection of household organic garbage by our local council, which is where the stock bones go.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Good thing I have lots of garden - a lot of it in natural, semi-forested state, o dump the grounds the Miele coffee machine produces, as well as copious amounts of tea leaves from our daily afternoon tea (4 tsp = 1/4 - 1/3 cup of leaves).

Someone else dumps the grounds down the sink
That is said to be an excellent way to clog up your drain pipes.
chrisl137 and nancypants like this.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Mar 1, 2021 at 1:07 pm
Old Mar 1, 2021, 9:24 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
We have a superautomatic, and the grounds go down the drain daily as we rinse the removable parts from the coffee maker. Lots of water (from cleaning the machine) and I usually run the disposer for several seconds.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I was also told not to dump coffee grounds into the sink. When the weather is nice, we dump it in random places in our garden. Otherwise, it just goes into the trash. (We use a re-useable gold filter for our coffeemaker.)
Old Mar 1, 2021, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Good thing I have lots of garden - a lot of it in natural, semi-forested state, o dump the grounds the Miele coffee machine produces, as well as copious amounts of tea leaves from our daily afternoon tea (4 tsp = 1/4 - 1/3 cup of leaves).

That is said to be an excellent way to clog up your rain pipes.
I didn't think it was a good idea, but it's not my house, so I'm not about to interject my thoughts there.
JBord likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 10:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kipper
I always just throw out my coffee grounds, in the filter. They go straight into the garbage can. recently, I found out that someone I know places them in a ziploc bag, zips it, and then places that in the garbage. Someone else dumps the grounds down the sink, rinses the filter, and then places the filter in the garbage can.

I've been tempted to save them when I'm planting things, but I usually just pick up a bag or two at Starbucks and use those.

What do you do with coffee grounds?
Exactly the same as you do. If there are any pesky grounds stuck to the filter after dumping in the garbage, I'll rinse those few in the sink with a lot of water.
I'm curious, were you able to find out the reason for the ziploc bag method?
Old Mar 1, 2021, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
Exactly the same as you do. If there are any pesky grounds stuck to the filter after dumping in the garbage, I'll rinse those few in the sink with a lot of water.
I'm curious, were you able to find out the reason for the ziploc bag method?
The reasoning for the ziploc bag method is so that moisture from the grounds doesn't get into the garbage and potentially leak.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Compost but in a compost bag for the Recology collectors to fetch when they get the green - blue - black bins. Grounds and coffee filter (no K cup)

maybe one day I’ll figure out how to just do our own garden compost :-)
Old Mar 1, 2021, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I put them down the waste disposer, not having a garden. The Ziploc bag thing sounds like an environmental disaster if everyone did it.
Redhead, downinit, JBord and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I put them down the waste disposer, not having a garden. The Ziploc bag thing sounds like an environmental disaster if everyone did it.
I would agree that it's an environmental disaster, but apparently, she doesn't care.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 11:30 am

I compost them, but now we’re both working from home we’re going through a kilo every 10 days, my wife is worried it’s unbalancing the compost. So we’re putting some directly into the flower beds in the garden.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Basically putting a small plastic bag of garbage inside a big plastic bag of garbage! The neighbor may have a hundred little ziplocs in every trash bag if she does that with everything that's a little wet. Now, maybe she accumulates it all in the same ziploc every week and throws it out once per week. Obviously, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this .
downinit likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just dump them and the paper filter in the trash. They will degrade in the landfill most likely. My mom used to compost hers but stopped composting when she opened the container in her kitchen to add something and discovered maggots.

Originally Posted by kipper
The reasoning for the ziploc bag method is so that moisture from the grounds doesn't get into the garbage and potentially leak.
Sounds like a great way to create more waste. If one's garbage bags are leaking, then either buy better bags that don't tear or be more careful about throwing away sharp, pointy things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.