Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Checked bag & switching to earlier connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2021, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat

I have an upcoming itinerary EGE-ATL-BDL, and it's looking like EGE-ATL has been arriving 15-20 mins early most days. With the scheduled arrival time, it's only a 28 min connection to the next flight to BDL, which is obviously illegal, so I'm booked on the flight after that (2.5 hour connection, ugh). However, with 15-20 additional minutes, it'd be totally realistic to make the earlier BDL flight.

If the flight status shows that the EGE-ATL flight will be arriving early, prior to checking the bag, can I ask the ticket agent at EGE to check the bag on the earlier flight to BDL (and ideally, change my ticket along with it for same day confirmed)? Worst case, I'll switch to the earlier flight once I get to ATL and voluntarily separate from my bag and just head back to BDL later to get it (I only live 20 mins from BDL, so it's pretty easy)

I know it's a long shot, but wanted to see if anyone has worked through this type of situation before.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 10:12 am

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM
I'm guessing option 1 will not work. They likely won't (be able to) ticket a bag on an illegal connection.

I've done option 2 several times before at the connection point. When they put me on the earlier flight, I always ask the agent to make sure the bag change request is put through. At least in my experience, the baggage folks are very good about catching these changes and making sure the bags make the earlier flight.
hortkie likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
I agree with Aviationfreak. #1 will not work. However, my experience with #2 is to the contrary. When I SDS or SDC mid journey, despite the change request (or amount of time before the flight), my bags are always on the original flight as tagged. I would expect to head back to BDL later to pick up your bag.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Option 1 will not work because the check-in staff are inhibited from booking you to a scheduled connection at under MCT. That is not "waiveable." It is the scheduled rather than operational connection time which determines this.

As to the latter, it really is up to the agent performing the change, whatever the basis.
tardyturtle likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input, all. I'll report back with my experience as a data point, in case anyone else is looking for the same info.
DLASflyer likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
Option 1 will not work because the check-in staff are inhibited from booking you to a scheduled connection at under MCT. That is not "waiveable." It is the scheduled rather than operational connection time which determines this.
I have had it waived before, granted, not recently.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Reporting back (itinerary was today), EGE-ATL landed 17 mins early, and I was able to switch to the earlier BDL flight by texting with DL reservations shortly before landing in ATL. I stopped by one of the Need Help? desks to ask about rerouting the bag (figured couldn't hurt to see), and the agent basically said, "If it was a longer connection, we could try, but it'd be like looking for a needle in a haystack with so little time before the new flight. I'd assume you'll have to go to BDL in the morning to pick it up. Fortunately, it's a small airport."

Lo and behold, after boarding the new flight to BDL, I got a notification on the Delta app that my bag had been loaded on the new flight. Interestingly, there wasn't any new bag tag with the updated flight info when I got the bag at bag claim, so I guess maybe the ramp agent's scanner gun alerted him/her to my new flight info, and they immediately sent it to the new gate without printing a tag?

Either way, major kudos to DL for operational excellence today!
Old Jan 25, 2021, 9:39 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I have found that if you make the flight change prior to your bag coming off the plane, there is a good chance the scanner will get your bag onto the proper next flight. Sometimes it works...glad it did for you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.