Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

If I book the hotel use my spouse's CC, who earns the eligible stay and points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If I book the hotel use my spouse's CC, who earns the eligible stay and points?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2021, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Smile If I book the hotel use my spouse's CC, who earns the eligible stay and points?

OK, so I want to book the hotel under my Hyatt account, and I would love to use my spouse's CC to pay a good fare for pre-pay all and non-refund, is it ok? So the payer's name (my spouse) will be different than the one (myself) book the hotel, will i get trouble when I check-in, sometimes the front desk check the CC, right?
the next question is, who earns the points and eligible stays?
Thanks
Old Jan 22, 2021, 10:52 pm

Whoever pays matters exactly 0. The primary guest on the reservation earns points and nights.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
As AndyKehn stated, the primary guest will get the point. Re using the spouse’s CC, I assume your spouse will be traveling/staying with you. If not, that may pose an issue as most places ask to check ID/CC when you check in and most likely they will not allow you to use it unless your spouse is also present.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
If it's a prepaid rate then the case is closed. Nobody will ask for the credit card ever again and the name of the card holder isn't even known.

When you check in you can present any other card for deposit.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by samplat
If not, that may pose an issue as most places ask to check ID/CC when you check in and most likely they will not allow you to use it unless your spouse is also present.
That can be taken care of by an authorized card (Authorized card spending counts to the primary card).
Old Jan 23, 2021, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by samplat
As AndyKehn stated, the primary guest will get the point. Re using the spouse’s CC, I assume your spouse will be traveling/staying with you. If not, that may pose an issue as most places ask to check ID/CC when you check in and most likely they will not allow you to use it unless your spouse is also present.
The CC owner can sign an authorization form in advance online (maybe through email) acknowledging that he/she is responsible for payment.

Happens all the time when the person staying is not responsible for the bill. Think sports teams where the manager pays for everyone.

Ask the hotel.
SF1K and samplat like this.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 8:51 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

The Hyatt account owner who booked the stay receives the night credit. The credit card holder receives the points. Obvious.

Those two are not linked together. You can certainly use your wife's CC to pay, even use your parent's or adult children's CCs to pay.

You could move things around...
Old Jan 24, 2021, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RedSun
The Hyatt account owner who booked the stay receives the night credit. The credit card holder receives the points.
Huh? Which points?
Old Jan 24, 2021, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Huh? Which points?
The cc points from using cc to pay for the reservation? Could be 4x Hyatt or 3x UR or simply 2% cash back.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The Hyatt account owner who booked the stay receives the night credit. The credit card holder receives the points. Obvious.

Those two are not linked together. You can certainly use your wife's CC to pay, even use your parent's or adult children's CCs to pay.

You could move things around...
YMMV regarding earning points when you don't personally pay for the stay.

3. Charges Billed to Member. In order for a Member to earn points, the bill for qualifying charges must be in that Member’s name and the Member must personally pay for all charges (i.e., the charges are paid by the Member in cash, using a payment device for which the Member is the named account holder or an authorized signatory, or are billed back to Member’s company or organization for payment and are not settled to a master account/posting master). A Member will only earn points for qualifying charges after the Member completes his/her stay and is checked out of the applicable hotel, resort, or other participating property.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by craigthemif
YMMV regarding earning points when you don't personally pay for the stay.
The member whose name is on the reservation receives the stay credit and the hotel points.

The CC cardholder who paid the stay receives the CC reward points. So if I paid for my adult child's Hyatt stay with my WoH card, I expect to earn the Hyatt points from Chase.

This is not YMMV situation.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The member whose name is on the reservation receives the stay credit and the hotel points.

The CC cardholder who paid the stay receives the CC reward points. So if I paid for my adult child's Hyatt stay with my WoH card, I expect to earn the Hyatt points from Chase.

This is not YMMV situation.
If somebody else pays for the stay, the member may or may not receive points. Full stop.

The credit card holder receives a few points for paying. Irrelevant compared to the points direct from Hyatt for the stay itself.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by craigthemif
If somebody else pays for the stay, you may or may not receive points. Full stop. What you expect is irrelevant, since the T&Cs are extremely clear. Whether they are enforced or not depends on the hotel and/or customer service agent reviewing any retro-claim.
I have paid for my adult children's stays all the time. Received the points as exactly what I stated above. Nothing less and nothing more. Period.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 1:45 pm

Yeah this craig person is trying to use the t&c to spread fud. I bet their next step is to call corporate and demand an answer to prove us wrong.

Regardless of what the t&c say, the practice has always been whoever has their name on the reservation would receive the points. Stop spreading fake news. This is no difference than the whole mattress run discussion. Some sanctimonious member on ft will always cite the t&c as the holy bible and admonish people with common sense.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Well, if we strictly follow Hyatt T&C, the above still follows the logic.

We use the CC to pay for the room. After the guest checks in, the room is considered paid. The actual guest can present the same or different CC to pay for hotel incidental charges.

At check-out, the guest receives the BILL and all the charges. Room has been paid for. Accidental charges are paid by the guest. It is the actual guest who receives stay credit and hotel points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.