Wiki Posts
Search

New Seaplane Airline for Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2021, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
New Seaplane Airline for Hong Kong

I was surprised to read about this, but a local entrepreneur plans to start a seaplane airline called ‘Seaplane Hong Kong’ in HK this year initially doing local private charters, and sightseeing using 2X DHC Twin Otters (‘Twotters’). Then subsequently expand into the Pearl River Delta.

Though I think it is somewhat ambitious to grow to 28 aircraft by 2025.

Flying in seaplanes is great fun, so I hope this is a success and not end up as a failed vanity project.

So now I am keenly awaiting the launch of their frequent flyer programme, or perhaps they will use Asia Miles????

Flight Global’s article can be found at www.flightglobal.com/air-transport/hong-kong-seaplane-start-up-buoyant-about-success-despite-headwinds/141954.article
Old Jan 18, 2021, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Time to start the bet - when will this idea be foreclosed?
Old Jan 18, 2021, 2:51 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Will seaplanes have to enter PRC airspace at 5,000 ft http://www2.bschool.cuhk.edu.hk/rese...ace.pdf#page=3 ? I know helicopters (Skyshuttle) doesn't.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 3:55 am

Even if you give the idea the benefit of the doubt, doesn't the local weather mean that this airline may spend a significant time on the ground...?
Old Jan 18, 2021, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Even if you give the idea the benefit of the doubt, doesn't the local weather mean that this airline may spend a significant time on the ground...?
Don't you mean on the water?
Old Jan 18, 2021, 5:08 pm

The former Macau Air owned by Cathay ran a seaplane service between Macau and HK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macau_...nsport_Company
Good luck to the new venture, say I.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 5:44 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Short history of HK seaplanes here: https://www.china-briefing.com/news/...-in-hong-kong/
HarbourGent likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 6:07 pm

Wonderful airplane, would be a great way to see Hong Kong.

And I'd finally get a chance to fly into/out of Kai Tak (sort of).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.