BONVOY Gold vs Hilton Honors GOLD

Old Dec 1, 2020, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
BONVOY Gold vs Hilton Honors GOLD

I am sorry if this has been hotly debated previously - but obviously times are a changing - and so is my work situation and I could use some advice based upon current thinking
Currently I am UA 1K and that gives me BONVOY Gold
I also have an Amex card that gives me Honors Gold
In the past, I have typically not stayed in major hotel and so I have an accumulated much in any one program
However, with my current job - I anticipate potentially at least 14 nights, if not more per month moving forward (domestic, USA) and typically it will be in one city/hotel for a prolonged stay
... in fact, I am planning 16 nights in a single hotel in Dec before the end of the year.... (and most likely 20 nights in Jan already - but in a different city)
here is the obvious question - which program do people recommend overall (I know this is a BONVOY forum)
- I will not be paying for the rooms, they will be billed to a master corporate account in advance (I thought some programs only give the points to the person with the credit card to pays?)
-- and some programs have rules for nights stayed vs stays (regardless of number of nights)
- I can control where I want to stay - and I will typically be allowed to book a nicer "suite" type room since I will be staying for awhile

If I am staying for more than a week - stuff like gyms, swimming pools, breakfasts, lounges, etc - not to mention room sizes and upgrades start to have a greater importance

I am not sure if the cities that I will be visiting have both Marriott and Hilton properties - but most likely - and I thought about splitting between the 2 programs

thoughts and advice?

thank you in advance

-michael

... did I mention that I might be bringing my dog?
Old Dec 1, 2020, 6:22 pm

If you are going to be averaging 14 nights per month, you will have enough nights to garner the highest level (based on nights) in both Bonvoy and HHonors. Bonvoy has Ambassador level, but that requires $20k in spend during a calendar year plus 100 nights. If you are allowed to book upgraded rooms, you might be able to get there. Average $200/night is the simple math.

My suggestion would be to get Bonvoy Titanium (75 nights), and decide if you like the treatment you get from that. From there, either stick with Bonvoy to get Ambassador (marginal benefits, especially given the length of your stays), or move on to HHonors and get Diamond there.

HHonors is unique in that you can get Diamond from a $450 annual fee credit card. If you are willing to get the Amex Hilton Aspire card, you can shortcut everything and get Diamond before you even start your stays.

Hilton and Marriott will have pretty similar footprints, everywhere you stay should have something in each family nearby. It is worth researching to make sure though.
SPN Lifer and s777bg like this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

I can’t sort out how this is all impacted by the fact that I’m not paying but rather it is going on a corporate account?

I know airlines give the points to whoever sits in the seat regardless of how the ticket is paid for, but I’m not sure how this works with hotels?
Old Dec 1, 2020, 7:08 pm

It does depend, but most likely when you check in, as long as you give them your Bonvoy or HHonors number, you will get the night credit and points. There is no way to know for sure without asking your management.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 10:55 pm

Hilton

Hilton has a promo until the end of the year. Double nights. If you make it to 15 nights this year x2= 30 nights which will make you Diamond come Jan 1st, 2021.
Hilton also only requires 30 nights in 2021 to make Diamond for 2022, which you would qualify for as those 30 nights accumulated in Dec 2020 will rollover to 2021.
Not sure what Marriott offers. But this will give you a great start for Hilton and you can then focus on Marriott. Just my two cents.
Ps You have to register for the Hilton promotion IIRC

Last edited by HNL1K; Dec 2, 2020 at 2:36 pm
Old Dec 2, 2020, 6:44 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by mfirst
I can’t sort out how this is all impacted by the fact that I’m not paying but rather it is going on a corporate account?

I know airlines give the points to whoever sits in the seat regardless of how the ticket is paid for, but I’m not sure how this works with hotels?
When you say going to a corporate account, do you mean you don't pay the bill and it gets sent directly to your company? If so, in the Marriott program you won't qualify for points nor stay credit. Big bummer.... On the other hand, if you mean you will be charging the stays to a corporate issued credit card rather than your own personal credit card, you will earn points and stay credit as usual.

One other caveat, you have to book your stays directly through Marriott or a corporate travel agent. If your company uses Concur or similar booking portal, it has gotten tricky to determine which rates you are actually booking. In addition to normal Marriott (or Hilton) rates which are points eligible, booking.com and other third party OTA rates may be included. Those third party OTA rates are ineligible for stay credit and points (i.e. no hotel program benefits).

Finally, you mentioned you're bringing your dog with you. You may want to look at Residence Inn, Element, or Towneplace Suites which are Marriott's extended stay brands. Rooms at these properties will have full kitchens and they tend to be pet friendly (for a one time fee per stay). SpringHill Suites will have larger rooms but only a microwave and a refrigerator.

Good luck and Happy Travels....

--Jon

P.S. I am less familiar with the nuances of the Hilton program but they will most likely be similar. Hilton extended stay brands include Homewood Suites and Home2 Suites.

P.P.S. Even if you are in a direct bill situation where you don't earn points and elite status, if you will be staying at the same property multiple times per year you can try negotiating with the manager. They maybe willing to do something for you based on the number of nights you will be staying. This would be totally at the discretion of the property and not something your entitled to. If you're going to different cities each stay and typically only stay at a property once, a two week stay probably won't be enough to get you any special treatment. You can still ask politely, just don't expect much.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
When you say going to a corporate account, do you mean you don't pay the bill and it gets sent directly to your company? If so, in the Marriott program you won't qualify for points nor stay credit. Big bummer.... On the other hand, if you mean you will be charging the stays to a corporate issued credit card rather than your own personal credit card, you will earn points and stay credit as usual.

One other caveat, you have to book your stays directly through Marriott or a corporate travel agent. If your company uses Concur or similar booking portal, it has gotten tricky to determine which rates you are actually booking. In addition to normal Marriott (or Hilton) rates which are points eligible, booking.com and other third party OTA rates may be included. Those third party OTA rates are ineligible for stay credit and points (i.e. no hotel program benefits).

Finally, you mentioned you're bringing your dog with you. You may want to look at Residence Inn, Element, or Towneplace Suites which are Marriott's extended stay brands. Rooms at these properties will have full kitchens and they tend to be pet friendly (for a one time fee per stay). SpringHill Suites will have larger rooms but only a microwave and a refrigerator.

Good luck and Happy Travels....

--Jon

P.S. I am less familiar with the nuances of the Hilton program but they will most likely be similar. Hilton extended stay brands include Homewood Suites and Home2 Suites.

P.P.S. Even if you are in a direct bill situation where you don't earn points and elite status, if you will be staying at the same property multiple times per year you can try negotiating with the manager. They maybe willing to do something for you based on the number of nights you will be staying. This would be totally at the discretion of the property and not something your entitled to. If you're going to different cities each stay and typically only stay at a property once, a two week stay probably won't be enough to get you any special treatment. You can still ask politely, just don't expect much.
As someone who occasionally travels with a pet, I see no rhyme of reason which hotels allow pets and which don't (except Aloft). Some of the pet fees can be ridiculously expensive, especially if only staying one night.

Last edited by Cledaybuck; Dec 2, 2020 at 10:43 am
Old Dec 2, 2020, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
As someone who occasionally travels with a pet, I see not rhyme of reason which hotels allow pets and which don't (except Aloft). Some of the pet fees can be ridiculously expensive, especially if only staying one night.
I'd argue this happens because most hotels are franchises. Some owners will be more comfortable with pets in their hotels than other ones. There won't be consistency because "anti pet" owners can and will run franchises across multiple brands.

In terms of fees, there are three reasons why they might be expensive. First, they might be very high in order to discourage people from bringing Fido. Second, the hotel might see the fee as a way to make a profit. Finally, the fee might actually be used to ensure the room is fully cleaned for the next guest.

I used to work in a hotel with large pet fee. We fell into the third category above. Virtually all of the fee went to the outside company we hired to deep clean the room. The only way we made a profit was if we had two or more rooms that needed to be deep cleaned on the same day.
MSPeconomist and 8420PR like this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 11:58 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I can say that most every Residence Inn I have stayed at allows pets. In fact, I'd guess it is a brand standard given the general RI webpage states they are pet friendly: Residence Inn Amenities. Of course that doesn't mean there aren't some out there that don't allow pets, but those would be the exception, not the rule.

Also the TownPlace Suites and the Element webpages also shows pets are normally allowed as well: TownPlace Suites Amenities and Element Experience

So I'd probably agree with the statement that Marriott's Extended stay brands are more likely than not to be pet friendly.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 1:14 pm

Reminder also that the extended stay brands have lower earning rates than the rest of portfolio.
cfabar1 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 3:32 pm
jxd

Personally I feel Hilton Gold is the best mid tier program out there as it provides breakfast. That being said, Marriott Plat is better than Hilton Diamond.
ExArkie likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I anticipate potentially at least 14 nights, if not more per month moving forward (domestic, USA) and typically it will be in one city/hotel for a prolonged stay
... in fact, I am planning 16 nights in a single hotel in Dec before the end of the year.... (and most likely 20 nights in Jan already - but in a different city)
I would go for Hyatt Globalist.

Second choice would be Hilton Diamond (Rollover nights into 2021 and 30 Nights requirement next year).
Old Dec 3, 2020, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I would go for Hyatt Globalist.

Second choice would be Hilton Diamond (Rollover nights into 2021 and 30 Nights requirement next year).
Why not do as I suggested and get both? With his amount of nights per year, he can easily meet nearly the night requirements for all three programs. Then, decide from there which treatment he likes best.

Hyatt was not one of his options, and I would not be surprised if he runs into portfolio issues with them not being as common.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 9:51 am
Original Poster

appreciate everyone's inputs - here is some more data:
1) Given the pending new rules about traveling with pets, unlikely that I will have the option to bring my dog (long story)
2) I spoke to the travel person with the company that I am working with and she said that people typically get to keep their points/miles as it is a "benefit"
3) I am serving as an independent contractor with them

- I am leaning towards staying this first round of 16+ days with the Hilton as I am already gold and they are running a 2x promo
- Since I am Hilton Gold, I applied for a "status match" with Bonvoy - that will get me platinum - but I have not heard back on that - and if I get that, then I can either use it this time or on the next >10 day trip......

both places in the city that I am going to (small place in the middle of KY) have suites type places for longer stays and both include breakfast (for whatever that is worth these days - and I am not a big breakfast guy) - and nice workout places....neither have lounges which in the past has already been the best perk...especially when overseas.

-m
Old Dec 3, 2020, 11:04 am
Original Poster

ok.... so BONVOY rejected my request for a status match to Platinum - which suggests that they would prefer that I spend 16 nights in a Hilton property, getting 2x points and closer to Diamond - than with them?

... I guess I could call and try to appeal....but unclear if it matters or is worth it

-m

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.