Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA857 - SFO-ICN-PVG - 1 or 2 segment / PQF

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2020, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
I have an upcoming flight (UA857), for which I got an email from United saying it will operate as follows:
"We will need to make an extra stop in Seoul to assign new crew members before continuing to Shanghai"

So far this year, I only have 2 united flown segments - so to qualify for Premier status I need minimum 4 United segments. When I asked the United agent (online) whether this flight will give me 2 segments or 1, he/she was unable to give a definite answer. The agent said, every takeoff and landing constitutes one segment. Online for him it showed SFO - PVG direct. When I told him my reservation shows 2 PQF, he was not sure why and asked me to call Reservations to confirm.

Any idea whether I will get 2 segment or should I do another United flight to be safe?

Thanks.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by x123kr
Hi,
I have an upcoming flight (UA857), for which I got an email from United saying it will operate as follows:
"We will need to make an extra stop in Seoul to assign new crew members before continuing to Shanghai"

So far this year, I only have 2 united flown segments - so to qualify for Premier status I need minimum 4 United segments. When I asked the United agent (online) whether this flight will give me 2 segments or 1, he/she was unable to give a definite answer. The agent said, every takeoff and landing constitutes one segment. Online for him it showed SFO - PVG direct. When I told him my reservation shows 2 PQF, he was not sure why and asked me to call Reservations to confirm.

Any idea whether I will get 2 segment or should I do another United flight to be safe?

Thanks.
It is an one segment for Mileage Plus credit purposes. The stop is for operational reason not for commercial reason. 857’s individual segments of SFO-ICN and ICN-PVG flight are not available for purchase separately and passengers cannot get on abs off at ICN.

I did this flight(s) at its inauguration on July 8 and only received credits for direct SFO-PVG and one PQF.
SPN Lifer, uanj and lsquare like this.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Nov 26, 2020 at 12:46 am
Old Nov 25, 2020, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Even for regularly scheduled commercial flights with the same flight number, and even those with pickup rights at the connecting point, it is still generally credited as if the flight had performed a nonstop.
SPN Lifer, Dublin_rfk and lsquare like this.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
It is an one segment for Mileage Plus credit purposes. The stop is for operational reason not for commercial reason. 857’s individual segments of SFO-ICN and ICN-PVG flight are not available for purchase separately and passengers cannot get on abs off at ICN.

I did this flight(s) at its inauguration in July 8 and only received credits for direct SFO-PVG and one PQF.
Thank you for your response. Any idea why it says this SFO-PVG is 2 PQF?
Old Nov 25, 2020, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Any idea why it says this SFO-PVG is 2 PQF?
Because the website isn't perfect. In the past, some flights display no mile accrual despite being qualified flights.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the prompt responses. I guess I should do a short flight for one more segment.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I did this flight(s) at its inauguration in July 8 and only received credits for direct SFO-PVG and one PQF.
Are you certain? While it would certainly only have counted as a single PQS under the old system, every indication I've seen is that the new system really did intend to count direct flights as multiple PQF where appropriate. For example, the Island Hopper consistently appeared as 5 or 6 PQF.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Even for regularly scheduled commercial flights with the same flight number, and even those with pickup rights at the connecting point, it is still generally credited as if the flight had performed a nonstop.
True for the old system, and probably true for the purpose of four UA-operated segments, but that's not supposed to be true for PQF.

Thank you for your response. Any idea why it says this SFO-PVG is 2 PQF?
The problem is, you don't need PQF. You need four UA-operated segments -- and I suspect that SFO-(ICN)-PEK with a single flight number will count as a single segment, because I think it operates under their previous set of rules.
SPN Lifer and EWR764 like this.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by jsloan
Are you certain? While it would certainly only have counted as a single PQS under the old system, every indication I've seen is that the new system really did intend to count direct flights as multiple PQF where appropriate. For example, the Island Hopper consistently appeared as 5 or 6 PQF.
Thank you jsloan!

I went to back and check the activity details, and did note the BIS mile credit as a direct SFO-PVG flight; however, the flight segment information did show 2.

Great catch! I guess OP can plan his/her trip as a 2-segment UA flight.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, PTahCha and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Based on previous response I picked a short 1hour flight (SFO to SMF) to add that segment, so that I could qualify for the Plat.

UA_Flyer jsloan Thank you for digging into this. I suppose I can cancel this SFO - SMF extra flight now.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Based on previous response I picked a short 1hour flight (SFO to SMF) to add that segment, so that I could qualify for the Plat.

UA_Flyer jsloan Thank you for digging into this. I suppose I can cancel this SFO - SMF extra flight now.
Honestly, I still don't know that we have a data point on this. The rule is four segments, not four PQFs. We're agreed that you'll get two PQFs; whether you'll get two segments or not -- I just don't know.

I'd say it comes down to your risk tolerance, as well as how inconvenient it would be if it only counted as one segment. If you're flying PVG-(ICN)-SFO next week, and then you've got a month in the US -- you could always hop on a flight to LAX or whatever to get your fourth segment anytime prior to the end of the year. If you're flying SFO-(ICN)-PVG, and not returning to the US until after January 1, you might want to keep the segment, just in case.

Hope this helps.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Oh, I misunderstood the previous post that it would count as 2 segment. Thanks for clarifying that it will be 2 PQF.
I am flying SFO-(ICN)-PVG early Dec and wont be back before Jan1. So, I suppose I will do the SFO-SMF over the weekend.

Thank you so much for making it clear Happy Thanksgiving.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: Delta
Any idea how the stopover affects entry requirements in China? I know they currently have a requirement where if you have a layover before entering China, you technically need both COVID-19 tests in the connection city. I would imagine United wouldn't have scheduled this flight through Seoul if passengers would be unable to enter the country.. for those of you who have flown it, can you confirm you only needed both tests in the US and nothing additional in Seoul? I'm heading over to Shanghai in early January and when I called United to ask about this they had no idea...
Old Dec 9, 2020, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mattino24
Any idea how the stopover affects entry requirements in China? I know they currently have a requirement where if you have a layover before entering China, you technically need both COVID-19 tests in the connection city. I would imagine United wouldn't have scheduled this flight through Seoul if passengers would be unable to enter the country.. for those of you who have flown it, can you confirm you only needed both tests in the US and nothing additional in Seoul? I'm heading over to Shanghai in early January and when I called United to ask about this they had no idea...
I believe no passengers leave the plane at ICN, they only change the crew. It is then still considered a direct flight for the testing purposes and not a stopover in Korea.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:11 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mattino24
when I called United to ask about this they had no idea...
FTers know more/better than UA agents. 😄
No additional tests at ICN is required.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

No effect on entry requirements since you don’t leave the flight.

Based on my travel experience, get the following two things ready before you get to the airport:
1. Health declaration (It should be green after you upload your two test results)
2. Customs declaration

Take snapshot of both as it will be needed before you board the plane and after you deplane in Shanghai.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.