Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 125 DFW to HKG - First Experience (Covid)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2020, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum

Anyone flown F recently? A web special for 130K seems a steal ( granted this is for end of May - and who knows what will happen by then). I read a review where the blogger said he would rather fly business than First for this flight since the seats are so exposed and a lot of noise coming from the galley. I am traveling with my SO, and we will be in the middle seats but trying to figure out if I should just go for J.

Thanks,

D
Old Nov 23, 2020, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Can you even enter Hong Kong?
Old Nov 23, 2020, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
AA has not served HKG since March, and is currently scheduled to resume DFW on Feb 11.
Desirees likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 6:51 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I recently flew the 777W MIA-LAX in F, and have flown (pre-Covid) DFW-HKG in both F and J.

I would recommend F over J for such a long flight.

Hopefully things will be somewhat back to normal by May. Enjoy!
Desirees likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

double post
Old Nov 23, 2020, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Can you even enter Hong Kong?
We are flying end of May.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 7:23 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Desirees
We are flying end of May.
Hate to say it, but assuming you aren’t a HK resident, I think it’s unlikely you’ll be allowed in this coming May. I think they’ll first be focusing on travel corridors with other Asian counties (like the Singapore one that just got postponed last minute).
Old Nov 23, 2020, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I , we ( my wife) have done that flight about 4 times
3 in F (SWU expiring) we both agreed
seat was ok.. storage for personal stuff bad , privacy not good .
If you have SWU to use up then go for it .
You will get better booze .. the food ? Hit or miss
but the FA will make your bed and you get PJ”s and a better kit
Old Nov 23, 2020, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I've flown F twice and J many times on this route. F is a better overall experience - more room, more personalized service, better lav to pax ratio, and better wine/champagne. Having said that, there is no privacy in F. I would probably only fly F if SWUs were expiring and/or business wasn't available (or was but at a higher price). Of course Cathay in F is a great ride but finding more than one award seat is difficult at best.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 8:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Is 130k round trip or oneway?

If it is oneway, FWIW this is priced higher than Partner SAAver F award, which IIRC is 110k. It might be advisable to wait until, say CX or JAL, releases saver first inventory and book on partners.

if it is round trip then it is a good deal, and only minimally more than the lowest J web saver I have seen on this route (120k rt). So I would book it.

Experience-wise, F and J are similar on this route. F includes FFD, but it might not open by then..
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 3:04 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Aside the other positives others have mentioned for F, there is one that is quite unique to the 77W F on AA. The seats swivel so that those seated in the middle section can face each other during meals, or anytime for that matter, which makes for a nice, rare experience when flying.

Hopefully Flagship First will be brought back to provide a difference in the F&B offerings compared to J, and a somewhat upgraded bedding. Of course it would be an extra bonus if FFD was also reopened for Int'l F AA flyers.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 6:32 am

Programs: American Airlines EXP
I also feel that F is slightly superior to J, but not worth it if there is a great price/mileage burden differential. 3D/G would be almost as good.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
Having flown both F and J on this route a number of times, I'd gladly use a SWU but not sure a premium over J is worth it. The J mini-cabin is always nice for a single traveler. Now if this was JAL on this route (I know it doesn't apply), I would pay the premium in miles in a heartbeat!

Last edited by RDUflyer2; Nov 24, 2020 at 1:42 pm
Old Nov 24, 2020, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not really worth sorting the details until 30-45 days prior to intended travel. If the flight is operating at all, what equipment, soft product and so forth, are all to be decided. And that is without even considering whether OP is admissible to HKG and on what terms.
dw likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: AA Exp., AC 75k, A3 Silver, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum
Aren't the award tickets fully refundable right now? Can't see any problem with just booking a flight & hoping you're allowed to take it, and just cancelling if you can't. If it's a good deal, jump on it - it's not like you're going to use the miles for anything else in the meantime.
rayfes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.