Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Offer on View Reservations

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2020, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP.
Upgrade Offer on View Reservations

I decided to just switch from my ticket from coach to business but I saw theres an upgrade offer which will end up being the same price if I were to just get a new ticket. The question is if I click the upgrade offer will I get the new EQM, EQD or just what I had when I original purchased? If so ill just cancel the ticket and rebook as business.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Amil
I decided to just switch from my ticket from coach to business but I saw theres an upgrade offer which will end up being the same price if I were to just get a new ticket. The question is if I click the upgrade offer will I get the new EQM, EQD or just what I had when I original purchased? If so ill just cancel the ticket and rebook as business.
If you accept an on-line "upgrade" offer, you will earn according to your original purchase class.

P.S. You'll usually have more people seeing your questions if you post them to the "Newbie Lounge".
Old Nov 23, 2020, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
If you accept an on-line "upgrade" offer, you will earn according to your original purchase class.

P.S. You'll usually have more people seeing your questions if you post them to the "Newbie Lounge".
Are you sure? The upgrade offers say you get the benefits of the new ticket.
dw likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Are you sure? The upgrade offers say you get the benefits of the new ticket.
The upgrade is basically an upsell to the lowest First Class fare, usually "I" class, not really an upgrade but an upsell
dw and Amil like this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly747first
The upgrade is basically an upsell to the lowest First Class fare, usually "I" class, not really an upgrade but an upsell

if its gonna be the same full price they really should give it the same benefits lol.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fly747first
So doesn't that come with all the benefits of I like double EQMs? That is an important benefit in my opinion, and it's my understanding that that does indeed apply.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
So doesn't that come with all the benefits of I like double EQMs? That is an important benefit in my opinion, and it's my understanding that that does indeed apply.
You'll get double EQM. I was booked into R when I recently upgraded one leg to EYW. I've done it a couple of times and always got the appropriate EQMs domestically.

https://cwsi.net/aa.htm
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

So I decided to reach out to Twitter and they said I will get the Double EQM but the EQD will be based on the original fare.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I decided to reach out to Twitter and they said I will get the Double EQM but the EQD will be based on the original fare.
Interesting, why would the EQD not be any different than upgrading to Main Cabin Extra? But, glad we can confirm that EQM bonuses do come with the upgrade offer.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know if you can apply an old trip credit or AA gift card to an upgrade offer? or is it only pure additional cash (Credit card)?
Old Nov 23, 2020, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone know if you can apply an old trip credit or AA gift card to an upgrade offer? or is it only pure additional cash (Credit card)?
even over the phone to reticket I dont think gift cards would work. but went to checkout to check on the offer only option was CC.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 2:46 pm

If you're being offered an "upsell" -- I think it used to be called "upfare" -- which means paying the full difference in fares, then, yes, you're effectively buying the higher class and get the earn for it. If you're offered an "upgrade" usually for a much smaller amount, then you don't.

I've never heard of the former being offered when you view your reservation, or at check in, but there's always a first time, especially in the current circumstances.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 2:47 pm

That makes no sense whatsoever. Please let us know what actually happens.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
That makes no sense whatsoever. Please let us know what actually happens.
I cancelled my ticket and rebooked. lol
Old Nov 25, 2020, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
I cancelled my ticket and rebooked. lol
Not sure why you did that... the Twitter team advised you correctly, double EQM and EQD based on your original fare, i.e., the amount you paid excluding taxes. Unless you are flying an AA partner (in which case a percentage of the flight distance by booking class is used to calculate EQD), with an AA flight number, the amount you pay for your base fare is what counts as EQD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.