Search

Confusion over rebooking obligations

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2020, 8:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Confusion over rebooking obligations

Hi,

Reading the info on the CAA website I am still confused. If an airline cancels your flights with over 2 weeks notice, do they have to offer a rerouting option or is a refund all they need to offer?

Reason I ask is I have booked a BA LGW-PUJ in February. I suspect it'll be cancelled but I still really want to go as DR has open borders, no test or quarantine and I want to take advantage of visiting open places.

Iberia seem to run a daily MAD-SDQ, would it be possible to ask BA to move me onto that from LHR instead of a refund?

​​​​

I've booked through a third party, but in my covid cancellations so far only one airline KLM has pro actively offered me rerouting options. Everyone else has just informed me my flight is cancelled and advised on a refund or voucher. Were they actually obligated to offer me a rerouting?

Thanks,

FC
Old Oct 30, 2020, 8:56 am

Yes, they should offer you a reroute but they almost certainly won’t unless you push for it.

If you request specific flights on IB then you may well be accommodated without too much resistance given the IAG/One World connection.

Your travel agent will have to request this though which adds a layer of complexity (depending on the agent used).
Old Oct 30, 2020, 9:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Iberia seem to run a daily MAD-SDQ, would it be possible to ask BA to move me onto that from LHR instead of a refund?
BA have been doing exactly this, it's under the Customer Guidelines, and you need your third party to check with those internally published guidelines to rebook accordingly. I think speculating about travel in February is unrealistic, BA are unlikely to look at this in any detail this year, and you will need the cancellation before the Guidelines kick in. More details in the main Rebook thread.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
A good place for further info and experiences is the main rebook thread :

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a relatively easy change from the BA perspective. The third-party vendor is a tossup without knowing. Do check pricing before asking for a change. If the pricing is now lower for your preferred reroute, then cancel for a refund and book the new ticket (preferably directly through IB).

The key issues:
1. Do not rely on anyone else to offer you anything or anything you might want.
2. Do the proactive work and determine the specific flights which suit and have those in front of you when you call the third party.
3. Do not presume that the third party knows anything. E.g., if your flight is cancelled, start by saying so.

Ultimately a reroute BA to IB is a fairly easy one.
flyingcrazy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.