Amtrak and United Benefits Ending

Old Oct 28, 2020, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Amtrak and United Benefits Ending

Hello all.

I saw the following email from Amtrak Guest Rewards. It looks as if Amtrak Select+ elite members will no longer get United Club access, and they won’t be able to earn GR points on United flights.

Assuming the inverse (United benefits on Amtrak) is also changing (anyone have confirmation?) my days of going to the ClubAcela at NYP for the sole purpose of using the clean restrooms with my United Club card will soon come to an end.

Old Oct 28, 2020, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
So, is this replacing the Acela lounge? Nothing mentioned about status of Club Card access to new, or existing, Amtrak lounges. I guess this is part of the construction project that's been ongoing at the post office complex past couple of years. I'm in NYC in about 2 weeks (flying in from 1 of 6 states allowed to enter w/o quarantining - too early to check out the new lounge.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
So, is this replacing the Acela lounge? Nothing mentioned about status of Club Card access to new, or existing, lounge.
Right, I believe that United would send out that communication, this is from Amtrak.

I would be hard pressed to believe that a two-way street would become a one-way street, but we shall see.

And yes, the Metropolitan Lounge in the new train hall will replace the old ClubAcela.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 6:38 pm

Yikes! Although not entirely surprising, post-Oscar...
Old Oct 28, 2020, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
United's posted ending of earnings, but nothing on lounge. I wonder if it's a Club Card deal and maybe that benefit (or loss thereof) will be another communication?

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/amtrak.html
Old Oct 28, 2020, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Ugh, does this mean ZFV is dead as well?
drgreg and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cfischer
Ugh, does this mean ZFV is dead as well?
That was my first thought. Let's hope not!
Old Oct 28, 2020, 9:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
That was my first thought. Let's hope not!
what’s ZFV
Old Oct 28, 2020, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
what’s ZFV
Philadelphia 30th st station. A great source of cheap fares, historically at least.
drgreg and narvik like this.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 9:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
what’s ZFV
"Airport codes" staring with Z are actual train stations and bookings to those train stations are rail segments linked to air travel segments.
United-Amtrak Codeshare FAQ - Including ZFV (Philadelphia)
Old Oct 29, 2020, 7:26 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
On United.com

Originally Posted by https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/mileageplus/earn-miles/amtrak.html
As of December 24, 2020, customers will no longer be able to earn MileagePlus award miles through Amtrak.

But no reference to other benefits.

Checking some random city pairs on some random dates I'm not seeing any ZFV availability through UA between beginning of December and mid-January but its been 10 years since I looked a ZFV so maybe I'm missing something else.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
On United.com

But no reference to other benefits.

Checking some random city pairs on some random dates I'm not seeing any ZFV availability through UA between beginning of December and mid-January but its been 10 years since I looked a ZFV so maybe I'm missing something else.
I didn't see that email from Amtrak but gotta wonder if this is part of a broader strategy by Kirby to go after AA. UA did the codeshare with Amtrak as a way to drop some of the shorthaul flights out IAD (and maybe EWR). I see the IAD-PHL flights are back so I wouldn't be surprised if this a broader move to get away from Amtrak. It would be consistent with UA trying to compete with AA.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by mh3265a
I didn't see that email from Amtrak but gotta wonder if this is part of a broader strategy by Kirby to go after AA. UA did the codeshare with Amtrak as a way to drop some of the shorthaul flights out IAD (and maybe EWR). I see the IAD-PHL flights are back so I wouldn't be surprised if this a broader move to get away from Amtrak. It would be consistent with UA trying to compete with AA.
You could be right but the Amtrak codeshares date back to long before any de-emphasis of short routes from EWR. These are purely a EWR-centric offering so I can't see how they have much, if anything, to do with IAD.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mh3265a
... not even close.

The Amtrak partnership goes back almost 20 years with Continental. Had nothing to do with IAD at all, actually.

https://www.ble-t.org/pr/news/headline.asp?id=2635
Old Oct 29, 2020, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Also remember, the City Ticket Office in New York Penn has closed, removing the last bits of United on Amtrak territory.

I now wonder what the fate is for Amtrak’s presence at the Newark Airport NJT station.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.