MVP Upgrade Policies

Old Oct 23, 2020, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
MVP Upgrade Policies

I'm a new MVP and have read all the things on the AS website regarding upgrades but am still a bit confused. For example, they say you won't be "upgraded" from a window seat to an aisle or out of an exit row to premium class but today I was moved from 17A (exit row window) to 9C (Premium class aisle).

From Website FAQ.....
Will I be upgraded if I'm sitting in an exit row?

If you have a seat in an exit row when your upgrade window arrives, you will not be moved to Premium Class.

Can I ensure I'll keep my same seat type (aisle or window) if I'm upgraded to Premium Class?

We will only automatically upgrade you to Premium Class if the same seat type you've already booked is available. So, if you've booked a Main Cabin window seat, you'll only be automatically upgraded into a Premium Class window seat; if you've booked a Main Cabin aisle seat, you'll only be automatically upgraded into a Premium Class aisle seat.
End of FAQ quote
I did see a checkbox somewhere along the way about which upgrades to waitlist for and should have de-selected for premium class since I had an exit row. Honestly, the change doesn't really bother me. I'm more just trying to learn my way through things. Are the FAQs outdated or did they make a mistake moving me like they did? Can I just go back to the site post-upgrade and re-select my original seat if it's still available?

Somewhat related question - does anyone know on an AS 737 if there is more legroom in an exit row or premium class?
Old Oct 23, 2020, 11:58 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
I opt out of premium class upgrades and just move myself up if I want within the window. If I don’t plan on more than a drink, I prefer exit row.
mtofell and dayone like this.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 1:05 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by mtofell
Somewhat related question - does anyone know on an AS 737 if there is more legroom in an exit row or premium class?
Exit row...
PDXPremier and mtofell like this.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
That feature used to work as advertised, so it was either a glitch, or maybe it's not working properly with the current seat blocking?

If I'm not in F, the preference for Y is:

2nd row of Exit Row (the most legroom), then Bulkhead PC, then PC, then 1st row of Exit Row.

And to answer your other question, yes, you can go in and move yourself back at anytime.
pcoll likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
And to answer your other question, yes, you can go in and move yourself back at anytime.
But do it quickly. Exit row seats are popular.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Take row 6 if you can get it within the upgrade period. It has more than enough legroom, and who wants to walk all the way back to an exit row
williwaw likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 8:59 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Take row 6 if you can get it within the upgrade period. It has more than enough legroom, and who wants to walk all the way back to an exit row
. Of course you are taking a chance the first class cabin curtain will drag in your food. Wait a minute, what food? 😂
Old Oct 25, 2020, 5:21 pm

I dont like row 6. The divider makes the seat too tight. Aisle 7-9 work best for me.
UAPremierExec and mtofell like this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
That feature used to work as advertised, so it was either a glitch, or maybe it's not working properly with the current seat blocking?

If I'm not in F, the preference for Y is:

2nd row of Exit Row (the most legroom), then Bulkhead PC, then PC, then 1st row of Exit Row.

Lately whenever I'm booked for an exit row it doesn't show me as PC upgrade requested, just F upgrade.

I concur on your ranking of other seats in the Y cabin. Normally I'd go aisle, but with the pandemic I go for windows so there's one whole side I'm not getting much air input from.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 12:19 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I dont think I have ever been moved from Main Cabin to Premium automatically. I think Ive always just moved myself *when not in row 16/17.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 8:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
I dont think I have ever been moved from Main Cabin to Premium automatically. I think Ive always just moved myself *when not in row 16/17.
Funny, I am the reverse. I am always moved from main to premium to first automatically for my last 8 flights. It is only after I receive notification that I go and pick a seat in whatever class they say I am in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.