Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Direct flight in 772 J or indirect on A350 Club Suite?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Direct flight in 772 J or indirect on A350 Club Suite?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2020, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: StarWood Hotels-Gold, Loews Hotels-Gold, RCI-Diamond, HH Diamond
Question Direct flight in 772 J or indirect on A350 Club Suite?

Hello All,

I'm having a debate with myself and need outside influence to resolve. We are flying TPA - LON next summer. I've flown TPA - LGW in old 772 and it was tolerable since direct and non stop.

Anything beats coach.

The question is whether the A350 Club Suite is worth a detour, and 90 minute add to total travel time, to route TPA - PHL - LHR over a non stop TPA - LGW in the old 772?

Departure and arrival times are irrelevant, simply curious if Club Suite is worth the detour.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by CoHiba Gent; Oct 23, 2020 at 10:10 pm
Old Oct 24, 2020, 12:21 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Go for direct. Even though the A350 is showing for the PHL next year, it could just as easy be a 787 or 777 too.

the only reason to opt for LHR would be if that was much easier fi4 your final destination.

the suite will be around for decades.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 12:34 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Honestly, for me, I'd take the more 'scenic' route as LHR is way more convenient and there would be more TPs in it, and I do want to try out CS sooner rather than later. Provided that costs were roughly equal and the timings were not too bothersome.

But as A P Yu has rightly pointed out, there isn't any away you can guarantee it will be CS to/from PHL this far out or even that you'd be immune from a last minute change of aircraft.

I strongly suspect that most people wouldn't bother with the inconvenience purely based on the seat.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel

I strongly suspect that most people wouldn't bother with the inconvenience purely based on the seat.
I am one of those people, although I fully appreciate your reasoning for doing so. I just find connecting flights stressful.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
As someone who lives in Philly there is a good risk of late afternoon and early evening severe thunderstorms during the summer. This could lead to missing your connection and potentially an overnight delay. Tampa could be the same especially with your connecting flight to PHL -with that in mind I would go direct.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: BAEC
It’s more crystal ball territory. We don’t know the future of BA at Gatwick. BA’s refurb programme is still going ahead and plenty of the 777 fleet has been refurbed. Not with the Club suite but still great IFE. More newer aircraft to come too.

I would book direct and hope that it all works to a newer or refurbished aircraft. At least with direct you won’t have any extra stress of changes to itineraries with connections or the connection itself.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
IMO, it's too early to speak about next summer.
The aircraft type may change multiple times, BA hasn't got a solid decision on how it's Gatwick fleet would evolve, etc...

If you book through BA, an aircraft change isn't a reason for a complimentary change on the routing so book the most convenient option for you.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: StarWood Hotels-Gold, Loews Hotels-Gold, RCI-Diamond, HH Diamond
Thank you All for the sound advice and confirming what I initially assumed to be the best choice

Andrew
Old Oct 25, 2020, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
IMO, it's too early to speak about next summer.
The aircraft type may change multiple times, BA hasn't got a solid decision on how it's Gatwick fleet would evolve, etc...

If you book through BA, an aircraft change isn't a reason for a complimentary change on the routing so book the most convenient option for you.
Fully agreed.
An additional point. Neither TPA or PHL are currently flown by BA What will be the covid situation and the BA routes flown in summer 2021 (or connecting flights to PHL) is unpredictable.
Better book the direct flight that might give you more reroute options.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
You'll have more time to sleep flying from TPA to London. That's an important consideration.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AF apologist
Originally Posted by brunos
Fully agreed.
An additional point. Neither TPA or PHL are currently flown by BA .
Looks like BA does currently serve PHL, though likely at a reduced capacity. BA 67 left LHR about 30 min late today, but is on its way to Philly as I write (not that this helps with next summer's schedule)
Old Oct 25, 2020, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
I'd definitely go direct. Having experienced both Clubsuites and the improved CW there isn't so much difference as to justify a change at PHL especially if you avoid an aisle seat in old clubworld. Get on in TPA, put your head down and wake up close to London. For privacy as a solo traveller I'd book a window seat as a couple a middle pair can be very cosy.
Exception would be if:
a) you can't bear flying backwards which you will in a window seat
b) you haven't the mobility needed to climb over a seat and you are frequently up at night.

IFE between the two types is not that different and on a night flight may not be a concern anyway,
Old Oct 25, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by CoHiba Gent
Hello All,

I'm having a debate with myself and need outside influence to resolve. We are flying TPA - LON next summer. I've flown TPA - LGW in old 772 and it was tolerable since direct and non stop.

Anything beats coach.

The question is whether the A350 Club Suite is worth a detour, and 90 minute add to total travel time, to route TPA - PHL - LHR over a non stop TPA - LGW in the old 772?

Departure and arrival times are irrelevant, simply curious if Club Suite is worth the detour.

Thank you in advance!
unless you want the extra tier points or LHR is more convenient based on your final destination, take the direct flight every time
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Exec Silver
If youre willing to fly from MCO (not sure how far you're travelling to TPA) there is a nonstop to LHR 772 refurbished with new CW suite. I just put in some dates for March 2021 and up it popped (taken through to seat map showing only 4 across). Its a later flight 2055 / 8.55pm i think from Orlando arriving 1015 LHR
Old Oct 26, 2020, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would not even begin to look at this until 30-45 days prior to your travel date. Timings, aircraft, and even whether flights operate at all, are fairly meaningless anything further out.

But, presuming that it rolls around to then and things are as they are now, I would always take a nonstop over a connection. One more set of things to go wrong and that is more of a hassle with reduced frequencies. Moreover, whatever aircraft is used on the TATL hop, if you connect at PHL, you are looking at 2-/12 hours+ on a single aisle aircraft with standard domestic F 2-2 seating. How much better would the second flight have to be to make up for the first flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.