Community
Wiki Posts
Search

October 2020: A330s permanently retired

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2020, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
October 2020: A330s permanently retired

https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...0/default.aspx

Removed more than 150 aircraft from its fleet through early retirements or by placing aircraft into temporary storage. In addition to the previously announced retirements of the Boeing 757, Boeing 767, Embraer E190, Airbus A330-300, Bombardier CRJ-200 and certain other regional aircraft, the company recently decided to permanently retire all 15 of its Airbus A330-200 aircraft.
One less chance for a domestic widebody/flatbed.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Those are some very young aircraft. Wow
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Interesting decision, I am not sure what Doug Parker is trying to do.
Probably AA isn't seeing hope on the recovery of transatlantic flights until 2023 when they would receive their first A321XLR's.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
That's too bad. I found J class on these birds to be a pretty nice ride.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
One piece of AA equipment i never got to try.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 10:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Wow this is really a shame.

As a former US Airways flyer, I flew on the A330s many times between PHL/CLT and Europe. US Airways was among the first airlines in the world to have lie-flat/all-aisle access in business class with their A330 Envoy Suites. I remember the first time I was lucky enough to sit in one (it was kind of like roulette when Envoy service first rolled out). Compared with the B767s that they replaced, these aircraft were a huge improvement! Even in coach, it wasn't a bad ride, and it was one of the first times I recall that nearly every seat had access to IFE and power.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 11:04 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I’m going to miss these going back a decade to my US Air roots. I’ve flown them several times a year out of PHL in both J and Y and they were a decent ride in both cabins. The US Airways J cabin reverse herringbone seats were probably the first of their kind and truly revolutionary at the time and I still prefer them to most other configurations that have come since with a few exceptions. It’s a sad day and I hope this move doesn’t portend a gloomy outlook for a very prolonged return to the capacity we were seeing a year ago,
Old Oct 22, 2020, 11:08 am

I will miss those J seats, if only because they were so revolutionary for the time, and the Y seats because they had plenty of width, legroom, and plenty of seat pairs when flying with your Significant Other/Spouse on what would likely be a full flight.

Will not miss the slow-as-molasses IFE screens and the resulting finger stabs into the back of my seat from people thinking you just had to press it hard.
AAir_head, apeortdz and Antarius like this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by lowfareair
I will miss those J seats, if only because they were so revolutionary for the time, and the Y seats because they had plenty of width, legroom, and plenty of seat pairs when flying with your Significant Other/Spouse on what would likely be a full flight.
After the 777s were densified with ten-across Y, the 332 was far and away the most comfortable long-haul aircraft in the fleet. Nice flat bed in J with no "rocking" or backward facing seats, and reasonably roomy Y seat if your upgrade didn't clear.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 11:32 am

Like others, I have fond memories of these planes from the time they arrived on property for US Airways. I enjoyed them in both cabins (and later in Premium Economy) for countless transatlantic crossings.

I have no empirical evidence, but I believe they provide a quieter ride than the 777s and, for the reasons already mentioned, were far superior in coach. Really sad to see them leaving the fleet at such a young age.
wetrat0 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Probably AA isn't seeing hope on the recovery of transatlantic flights until 2023 when they would receive their first A321XLR's.
Likely AA just had to consolidate and reduce the size of aircraft they have. For AA it was 787 or A330. Not just AA but many airlines around the world are saying that international travel demand will not recover to pre-Covid-19 level on 2021. I saw many airlines saying may take 5 years or more for international air travel demand to recover to pre-COVID-19 level. I think this is not just AA thing nor Doug Parker thing, many airlines are looking at this same way.

AA FA once told me that many FAs at AA like 787 and 777 over A330, because 787 and 777 have secluded crew rest area with flat beds where A330 FAs are provided with blocked seats in Y cabin.
ISTFlyer and jerseytom like this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
AA has 65 777s and 50 787s with 40 787s on order.

15 a332s are a needless subfleet. Same reason DL is axing their 777 fleet.
enviroian, cedric, Daze and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 12:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
AA FA once told me that many FAs at AA like 787 and 777 over A330, because 787 and 777 have secluded crew rest area with flat beds where A330 FAs are provided with blocked seats in Y cabin.
I remember flying FRA-PHL once and was seated in a mid-cabin bulkhead. There were exit row seats on the sides, but after takeoff, the FAs pulled curtains around those seats to make their, "crew rest," area. Thankfully it wasn't a very full flight and I had several seats to myself, as did most others on the aircraft. I can imagine that would look a bit customer un-friendly on a full flight.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 1:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Fraser
https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...0/default.aspx

One less chance for a domestic widebody/flatbed.
Not really. There are Boring 787 -8s and -9s still pending delivery, in greater numbers than the retired A330 -300s and -200s, as Antarius pointed out. This reduces costs for AA by consolidating the wide bodies to 787 and 777s, brings in further fuel efficiencies and puts heavy C checks out into a more distant future, etc.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Catbert10
That's too bad. I found J class on these birds to be a pretty nice ride.
I agree, flew them out of PHL and CLT to Europe and liked them quite a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.