Wiki Posts
Search

Filling Middie Seats Starting 12/1

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2020, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Filling Middie Seats Starting 12/1

Just saw news that WN will start using middle seats on 12/1.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Link?
Did it say the current policy is expiring Nov 30 or did it say WN announced they were using middle starting 12/1?
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:01 am

I saw WN tweeted that they will fill in the middle seats after 11/30
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:07 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Per Forget about that empty middle seat: Southwest Airlines to start filling planes in December it says:

"This practice of effectively keeping middle seats open bridged us from the early days of the pandemic, when we had little knowledge about the behavior of the virus, to now,'' the airline said in a statement Thursday. "Today, aligned with science-based findings from trusted medical and aviation organizations, we will resume selling all available seats for travel beginning December 1, 2020.'' quoted from Gary Kelly
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:12 am

WN says "the risk of breathing COVID-19 particles on an airplane is virtually non-existent."

Masks are still required by all passengers and airline workers.

Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Saw this news - looks final.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...5IA?li=BBnbfcL
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:26 am

I hope they open it up so that people can purchase an extra seat. I guess my other half could go for COS - no one sitting beside him is comfortable - but I'm happy to pay for the seat. I don't anticipate a lot of flights until I've had it or can get a vaccine, but any essential travel will be done on an airline I can buy an extra seat on.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
If you can unblock our middle seats then you can certainly bring back our DRINKS!
Old Oct 22, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
At a time when COVID numbers are climbing nationwide, this decision will help prospective passengers decide to simply stay home or drive. Flight frequency had been slashed, obviously because of reduced demand, but those of us left who still need to travel are still concerned about potential transmission when forced to sit close to a stranger who may or may not have done all the recommended prevention measures in the weeks before they boarded the plane. We had a trip already reserved in December, and another in January, both hanging by a thread because of our concerns even with middle seat open. This decision will almost certainly mean cancellation of our reservations in favor of simply driving. And before someone starts, yes, I understand all the revenue management/inventory control implications of flying with a plane 1/3 empty.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 2:20 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...e-contact-cdc/

"The CDC had previously defined a “close contact” as someone who spent at least 15 consecutive minutes within six feet of a confirmed coronavirus case. The updated guidance, which health departments rely on to conduct contact tracing, now defines a close contact as someone who was within six feet of an infected individual for a total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period, according to a CDC statement Wednesday."

Not sure why they believe it is ok now...
screeton and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
This is bad news. In the article linked above the prison guard and prisoner only had one minute contacts (both were masked) but they added up to 17min.

If your seatmate is coughing or becomes ill after pushback, there may not anywhere to move to. Dreadful. Or your seatmate may be the type who makes 7 pretzels or cup of water last the whole flight to keep their mask removed.

Folks will also have more prolonged and cumulative contact as Southwest gates are more crowded, bins are more crowded, etc.

The airline/IATA sponsored reports showing how rosy the situation, one even straped sensors into seats) seems to neglect that masks are removed to "eat" or "drink", and don't seem to account for passengers standing in a crowded aisle.

​​IIRC, One confirmed report (pre masking) on a 5hr flight confirmed that a single passenger infeced all but one person in a full business class (lots of spacing) cabin. Situation is indisputably safer now with masking.. But since masks aren't glued to faces, flying has a risk.
screeton likes this.

Last edited by expert7700; Oct 22, 2020 at 3:20 pm
Old Oct 22, 2020, 3:21 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by screeton
those of us left who still need to travel are still concerned about potential transmission when forced to sit close to a stranger who may or may not have done all the recommended prevention measures in the weeks before they boarded the plane.
Exactly. We don't know if the other person has been hugging friends all week before the flight. I for one would avoid any connection through LAS. A seatmate who prefers not to take chances is a safer seatmate.

I have friends and even family members who don't consistently maintain social distance from their friends. I have to guess that 1/3 or more of the people on each flight have not been as careful as I. It might be more than half: A person's willingness to take a flight these days is correlated with his or her attitude toward risk.

If I need to fly I will seek out empty flights, ideally less than 30 people in 143 seats. No more peak hour flights for me until I have immunity.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 4:47 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Marriott Gold
is there a breakdown of what airlines still keep the middle seat open, and until when?
Old Oct 22, 2020, 5:00 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by flsusi
is there a breakdown of what airlines still keep the middle seat open, and until when?
Alaska

Delta (previously announced later in Jan 2021)
ryw likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 5:04 pm

Are we really debating whether middle to aisle transmission is significantly worse than window to aisle? I guess the option to stay home still exists.
Iflymci likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.