Wiki Posts
Search

Resumption of Full Inflight Dining?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2020, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: PC(QR), IB, CX Marco Polo, SAA Voyager
Resumption of Full Inflight Dining?

Just read that Emirates will resume full inflight dining from November 1st. Will Qatar follow? It only makes sense. And while I am at it, it would be great if Al Safwa will reopen soon!
Kevin Weldon likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I am not sure if you have read the other threads about COVID era Business Class catering.
QR never stopped providing their full inflight dining options. They were always offering their full service with some minor changes due to COVID-19.

Here are the other threads regarding the same issue;

J catering during COVID era?
Long-Haul Business Class Post Covid

Unfortunately, the Al Safwa would not open anytime soon as QR currently does not offer First Class, there are very few people who eligible for Al Safwa ( Platinum traveling in J, people willing to pay extra when traveling in J, Kuwait and Muscat F pax ). Plus the Al Mourjan is generally at 5% capacity except for the AM and PM rush where it's around 50% capacity which also means that QR would not re-open their Business Class and First Class ( Sapphire / Emerald ) lounges in the meanwhile as well.
craig44485 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I am not sure if you have read the other threads about COVID era Business Class catering.
QR never stopped providing their full inflight dining options. They were always offering their full service with some minor changes due to COVID-19.

Here are the other threads regarding the same issue;

J catering during COVID era?
Long-Haul Business Class Post Covid

Unfortunately, the Al Safwa would not open anytime soon as QR currently does not offer First Class, there are very few people who eligible for Al Safwa ( Platinum traveling in J, people willing to pay extra when traveling in J, Kuwait and Muscat F pax ). Plus the Al Mourjan is generally at 5% capacity except for the AM and PM rush where it's around 50% capacity which also means that QR would not re-open their Business Class and First Class ( Sapphire / Emerald ) lounges in the meanwhile as well.
Sorry, but I cannot agree with this.
Food is still superior to some airlines (notably BA), but far from the super quality and wide selection that was previously available.
And I have been flying QR a lot since covid. Wines still superb and AM lounge even better.
fender5787 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
Sorry, but I cannot agree with this.
Food is still superior to some airlines (notably BA), but far from the super quality and wide selection that was previously available.
And I have been flying QR a lot since covid. Wines still superb and AM lounge even better.
I have flown QR a lot since COVID as well but all flights in Y. From trip reports in FlyerTalk and other aviation websites, it's noticeable that the food is similar to what was offered pre-COVID in J. There wasn't any significant change like other carriers including British, Aegean, Turkish, etc... however, I could agree that the current J menus have much fewer options compared to the past.

As I haven't flown QR J yet for my entire life, I was only able to visit Al Mourjan after COVID and I really find the food and drink selection super over there. Maybe the best airport lounge in the entire world that is currently open.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I have flown QR a lot since COVID as well but all flights in Y. From trip reports in FlyerTalk and other aviation websites, it's noticeable that the food is similar to what was offered pre-COVID in J. There wasn't any significant change like other carriers including British, Aegean, Turkish, etc... however, I could agree that the current J menus have much fewer options compared to the past.

As I haven't flown QR J yet for my entire life, I was only able to visit Al Mourjan after COVID and I really find the food and drink selection super over there. Maybe the best airport lounge in the entire world that is currently open.
Though the food post-covid still seems to be far superior to many other carriers, I have to agree with brunos that there are significant differences from pre-covid full service, especially on lunch/dinner flights. Here are some observations:

1. No more canapé service
2. No more soup service
3. No more warm dessert
4. Mains are now pre-platted on the ground instead of platted in the air with different items heated at different levels
5. Tray service
6. Less choices for light options
7. No more snack platters on Qsuite flights

Now, I don’t want to sound like a “first world problems guys” and frankly I’m completely fine with QR’s current service level, seeing its rather important to limit crew-pax interaction since we’re in a pandemic, but to say that inflight service is at full or even near full level, would be very much incorrect.

Last edited by fender5787; Oct 22, 2020 at 12:13 pm
Old Oct 22, 2020, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fender5787
Though the food post-covid still seems to be far superior to many other carriers, I have to agree with brunos that there are significant differences from pre-covid full service, especially on lunch/dinner flights. Here are some observations:

2. No more soup service
3. No more warm dessert
4. Mains are now pre-platted on the ground instead of platted in the air with different items heated at different levels
5. Tray service

Now, I don’t want to sound like a “first world problems guys” and frankly I’m completely fine with QR’s current service level, seeing its rather important to limit crew-pax interaction seeing that we’re in a pandemic, but to say that inflight service is at full or even near full level, would be very much incorrect.
Thanks for clarifying what has been reduced.
fender5787 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: PC(QR), IB, CX Marco Polo, SAA Voyager
Let's wait and see if Emirates really means full resumption to pre-Covid standards. If so, it is likely Qatar will follow suit. After all, Qatar is renowned for its inflight services especially the dining service in premium class.
Kevin Weldon likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fender5787

2. No more soup service
3. No more warm dessert
5. Tray service

Now, I don’t want to sound like a “first world problems guys” and frankly I’m completely fine with QR’s current service level, seeing its rather important to limit crew-pax interaction since we’re in a pandemic, but to say that inflight service is at full or even near full level, would be very much incorrect.
Agreed.
The choice has become very limited on flights with few pax.
I flew 6 segments since the covid-reduced service was introduced.
On most flights choices have been extremely limited (no choice on dessert, two choices for starter and dishes).
No way you can get great food when the hot dish is simply reheated onboard.
As everything is pre-plated at airport, food is comparable to typical J food on other airlines. For example, not better than current AF J offering.
QR J is good J food, but not spectacular any more.
Some airlines have resumed full service (e.g. LH), but not QR.

I am very choosy about wines. And QR has the same offering as earlier.
Again, I agree with ISTflyer that Al Mourjan offering is currently amazing with all the a la carte offers, including the sushi and sandwich bars and the wine offering.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by brunos
Again, I agree with ISTflyer that Al Mourjan offering is currently amazing with all the a la carte offers, including the sushi and sandwich bars and the wine offering.
I would like to know more about sushi... Maybe I was unlucky or didn't explore enough but never seen any suhsi in either Al Mourjan or Al Safwa lounge in pre-covid times... Can you tell us more about QR sushi ? :-p
Old Oct 25, 2020, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Matt4
I would like to know more about sushi... Maybe I was unlucky or didn't explore enough but never seen any suhsi in either Al Mourjan or Al Safwa lounge in pre-covid times... Can you tell us more about QR sushi ? :-p
I'll be passing through Al Mourjan multiple times during late November and December. I would report back if I see any sushi.
I guess that the sushi bar was implemented in September 2020 so during my last visit in August 2020, I was unable to experience it.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 3:38 pm

I came here to ask this too! Although Qatar was already ahead in the Covid food/drink menu by maintaining the drinks the same (Emirates reduced the wine and no cocktails), I wonder if the full food service will come back soon, since Emirates is their competition obvs...would be great to see multiple course meals (not in tray), candles, the usual desserts and all again
Old Nov 11, 2020, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sad that QR is not getting back to its usual service as opposed to some other top airlines.
For example, this is a recent F flight on AF. AF also got back to "normal" on its J service.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32811144-post184.html
fender5787 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 5:13 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by Matt4

AM Lounge sushi offering. 10/30/20
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When you go to the bar of the main AM lounge, they display a few sushi combinations that you can choose from (maybe 5 or so). You point to the ones you like and they prepare it and bring to your table. Same for the salad bar next to it.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 3:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K
Just spent 14 hrs layover in AM lounge on Nov 6. It is pretty empty most of the time except around midnight & early morning (5-6am). Got a family suite; the couch is comfortable enough for a 5-6 hours nap. Clean bathroom & shower facility. There are staffs everywhere. Overall, we were well fed and well rested.

Sushi
homer3152 and travelbug2225 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.