Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

AKL Route Cancelled - Business Class Honoured ?

Old Sep 29, 2020, 3:29 am
Original Poster

I haven't had the email yet, but the app and website is confirming that our flight to AKL has been cancelled and now Qatar are only flying 2 x week via DOH and HKG with Cathay.
Here's the thing... we're on a promo I fare and the website is showing that I fares are only business class to HKG then its economy on Cathy to Auckland.

Before I phone up to try and sort this out, does anyone know if they should be honouring the fact we booked business class all the way through to Auckland?
Old Sep 29, 2020, 3:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Ultimately QR can just refund your ticket, which I suspect will be cheaper for them than to rebook you on (more expensive) business fares all the way through. I wish you good luck but this will be a fight. Are you permitted to enter NZ currently (just want to make sure)?
Old Sep 29, 2020, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Ultimately QR can just refund your ticket, which I suspect will be cheaper for them than to rebook you on (more expensive) business fares all the way through. I wish you good luck but this will be a fight. Are you permitted to enter NZ currently (just want to make sure)?
Thanks for that. We're NZ citizens trying to get home.
Word on the street is that further change is likely, so I'm not going to rush into anything just yet, plus I still haven't had an email from them.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 5:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Milliemoo
Thanks for that. We're NZ citizens trying to get home.
Word on the street is that further change is likely, so I'm not going to rush into anything just yet, plus I still haven't had an email from them.
Ok, good luck. When is this for? Probably not much point doing anything too early, as that could get changed again.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Ok, good luck. When is this for? Probably not much point doing anything too early, as that could get changed again.
We only booked 10 days ago and this is the second cancellation :s
Current booking is for Nov 30th.

Just seems so odd that Qatar have gone from recently increasing their current NZ schedule to withdrawing altogether.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 8:50 am
Original Poster

So I've finally managed to get onto the app and we've not got confirmed flights, back to the original EDI-DOH-AKL but on a different day and with a tech stop in Brisbane.
The Qatar website is still showing the EDI-DOH-HKG-AKL routing, so who knows what's going to happen!
Old Sep 29, 2020, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
So I've finally managed to get onto the app and we've not got confirmed flights, back to the original EDI-DOH-AKL but on a different day and with a tech stop in Brisbane.
The Qatar website is still showing the EDI-DOH-HKG-AKL routing, so who knows what's going to happen!
You asked the right question. Nobody, including QR knows whether QR will be flying to EDI or AKL in November.
Too early to tell.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
You asked the right question. Nobody, including QR knows whether QR will be flying to EDI or AKL in November.
Too early to tell.
True, but it's not like the demand isn't there.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 10:08 am

Programs: NZ*G, BAEC Gold
In the same boat as you (except ex-LHR not EDI), gave them a call to shuffle things around as the new flights they had proposed had a 23:45 stopover in DOH... Now confirmed onto LHR-DOH-(BNE)-AKL. Looks like the 3x weekly DOH-(BNE)-AKL is the proposed winter schedule, so hoping that we might be able to actually take these flights!

Coincidently I think we might on the same DOH-AKL flight on the 30th November.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mckma8
In the same boat as you (except ex-LHR not EDI), gave them a call to shuffle things around as the new flights they had proposed had a 23:45 stopover in DOH... Now confirmed onto LHR-DOH-(BNE)-AKL. Looks like the 3x weekly DOH-(BNE)-AKL is the proposed winter schedule, so hoping that we might be able to actually take these flights!

Coincidently I think we might on the same DOH-AKL flight on the 30th November.
We were booked on 30th Nov but got shifted to the 3rd with the new flight numbers and Brisbane tech stop.

I don't understand why the website doesn't show these flights though? All the website has is the hideous route via HKG with the crazy transit times.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 12:45 am
Original Poster

I've got a funny feeling we're going to get bumped to a LHR departure.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 12:49 am
Suspended

I suspect you’ll find out in precisely two months time.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

30 Sep (ExecTraveller AU)---> Qatar Airways goes non-stop to Auckland, extends Brisbane flights

Qatar Airways is extending its Doha-Brisbane-Auckland flights through March 2021, before returning Doha-Auckland to a marathon non-stop service.
<snip>
That temporary Doha-Brisbane-Auckland route was previously slated to conclude on October 23 2020, but will now run three times each week until March 27 2021, when Auckland and Doha return to a non-stop pairing.
<snip>
Old Sep 30, 2020, 8:52 pm

I've got a funny feeling we're going to get bumped to a LHR departure.
Although it was cancelled yesterday, I expect (hope) EDI continues while there's still no real indication of EK restarting.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mwenenzi
thank you :d

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.