Wiki Posts
Search

Who Is Hertz’s Largest Contract Now?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2020, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Who Is Hertz’s Largest Contract Now?

Now that IBM has left Hertz, curious who their next largest contracts are.
For those who don’t know, IBM’s contract was so influential, Hertz implemented UC just to keep their business.
Not who are big clients is public knowledge, but like all things FlyerTalk, I welcome informed speculation, as well.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
That’s a good question. I’m somewhat curious where IBM went. Or that is in limbo due to COVID-19
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
That’s a good question. I’m somewhat curious where IBM went. Or that is in limbo due to COVID-19
Hertz was never IBM's sole provider of car rental services. They always had corporate rates/account with National and Avis/Budget. These showed up in the OTR as an option. Going forward, it'll probably be limited to these 2 agencies. In the past, most of the IBM travelers(Consultants) would pick their own car rental agency based on their on preference or client preferences. Unlike, Airfare reimbursements that must go through the OTR, car and hotel was not mandatory. So a lot of traveling consultants book Hotel and Car through the Hotel/car's own website of their choosing. From informal observations, Hertz and National were split for the favourite.

What is more interesting to know, is what was the reason behind leaving Hertz behind. Is it the stability of Hertz as an on-going entity? Or something to do with the IT project they were involved in to modernize Hertz's Enterprise Data/Websites/Thrify's integration/etc........The whole ordeal with losing out the contract to Accenture for the $500 million contract, then Hertz suing Accenture for breech of contract, and go crawling back to IBM? Messy leadership all around there.
It was IBM getting the IT design/implementation and outsourcing contract back in the day, that made Big Blue choose Hertz as the preferred car rental agency, and hence the influence it has over Hertz's operations. Who knows, maybe Hertz going with an 'outsider' Accenture for this project, left a bitter taste with IBM procurement/travel?

Last edited by Commie; Sep 26, 2020 at 11:30 am
Old Sep 26, 2020, 11:35 pm

What is the story behind IBM causing Hertz to create UC?
Old Sep 28, 2020, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by dparkinson
Now that IBM has left Hertz, curious who their next largest contracts are. . . . I welcome informed speculation, as well.
How about NASPO Valuepoint?

That's the cooperative purchasing arm of the National Association of State Procurement Officials. They've got a contract with Hertz.

All 50 states, the District of Columbia, and US Territories are eligible to participate if they so choose. And each state chooses which entities are eligible, including state agencies, higher education institutions, political subdivisions, and even non-profit organizations.

It's been a while since I used it, but it had the best rates I've ever received in the US, Hertz was required to have vehicles available, there were no fees for one-way rentals or additional drivers, and recreational (i.e., not official business) rentals were permitted (the only difference being that taxes were collected).
Old Jan 5, 2021, 6:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dparkinson
Now that IBM has left Hertz, curious who their next largest contracts are.
For those who don’t know, IBM’s contract was so influential, Hertz implemented UC just to keep their business.
Not who are big clients is public knowledge, but like all things FlyerTalk, I welcome informed speculation, as well.
Why do you say IBM left Hertz?
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:40 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
According to Google, in the US, my company employs 12% of what IBM employs.
According to Google, in the world, my company employs 11% more than IBM employs.

I don't know where we stand in rental revenue compared to IBM, but I will say that when our preferred contract changed from National to Hertz years ago, Hertz made a BIG deal. Personal greetings from staff, significant upgrading of vehicles (if UC wasn't available), signage welcoming us, staff holding cars they knew I liked (in UC and non-UC locations). If I went to a location that had a poor selection in UC and I inquired, as soon as they saw my employer's name in the contract they said "oh" and found a nice car for me. This went on for a good 8-9 months before it died down. I still get fantastic treatment from my normal locations.
Auto Enthusiast and kxc262 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.