Wiki Posts
Search

Strange award pricing

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2020, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Strange award pricing

Can someone explain why the taxes and fess are different on these flights. Thanks!
Old Sep 22, 2020, 8:11 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Different fees for different stopover airports?
Old Sep 22, 2020, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by sbgmiles
Can someone explain why the taxes and fess are different on these flights. Thanks!
The first option involves a domestic transfer within the U.S. The second one involves LHR, i.e. APD. The third one involves a transfer that is not in the U.S. or the U.K., which can be Canada.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
or could it be that the second option involves LH (rather than UA or AC). LH YQ surcharges etc are quite high/much higher than UA/AC,
Old Sep 23, 2020, 2:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AV, AA, BA, CM, UA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by garykung
The first option involves a domestic transfer within the U.S. The second one involves LHR, i.e. APD. The third one involves a transfer that is not in the U.S. or the U.K., which can be Canada.
Senor APD is exempted for itineraries that use LHR as an international-to-international connecting point and LM never tickets with a stopover of duration that will trigger APD. Like the itins shown in OP screenshot.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/exemptio...passenger-duty

LH does charge more redemption tax in general than other Star carriers it is true.

Buut LM's fees and taxes computation is strange to say the least and in some cases it seems very high...but also there are cases when it appears lower than e.g. UA MP offers (si, if you can duplicate the LM itin). If you use LM enough, you will lose some and then win some.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ReinaDeLaSelva
Senor APD is exempted for itineraries that use LHR as an international-to-international connecting point and LM never tickets with a stopover of duration that will trigger APD. Like the itins shown in OP screenshot.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/exemptio...passenger-duty

LH does charge more redemption tax in general than other Star carriers it is true.

Buut LM's fees and taxes computation is strange to say the least and in some cases it seems very high...but also there are cases when it appears lower than e.g. UA MP offers (si, if you can duplicate the LM itin). If you use LM enough, you will lose some and then win some.
We are just guessing here...given we don't really have the most accurate information...
Old Sep 23, 2020, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for your input. I found that if it is higher than I would like, I just need to check back later. it is always changing.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by sbgmiles
Thanks for your input. I found that if it is higher than I would like, I just need to check back later. it is always changing.
Some partner surcharges are not going to change even if you call later; same for some specific airport taxes...
Old Sep 23, 2020, 10:26 pm

Programs: Alaska
some airports charge a fee even if you just transit. some airpots don't. e.g. international to domestic Australian transit is quite expensive, and different from state to state.

You need show us the transit airport to know better.

my guess is $5.6 is transit in US with UA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.