Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Flight Attendant Without Mask - Procedure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2020, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Various

On the Houston Reddit board, someone posted a picture from a recent UA flight they were on (MCO-IAH) where one of the flight attendants wasn't wearing a mask: https://www.reddit.com/r/houston/com...co_to_iah_was/ (there's a picture at the top of the thread). Some of the comments in the post mention that a passenger risks being kicked off of the plane if he/she brings that up with the FA.

I'm wondering, what would you do in that type of situation? I (unfortunately/fortunately) haven't flown since March, but I probably will need to start doing so again in the next few months, so I'm curious what the vibe is about this sort of thing.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 4:08 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
I would contact UA HQ directly and let them know, with the picture and as much detail as I could provide.

I would NOT post it to a fairly anonymous site with the EXIF data scrubbed off the picture. It doesn't really substantiate anything.
grd787 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 5:04 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
The picture doesn't show anyone else's face. Are we sure that the picture is recent?
DC9 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 5:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LarryJ
The picture doesn't show anyone else's face. Are we sure that the picture is recent?
I have a similar question -- no mask straps visible on the back of the heads of the couple heads visible.

But no Hemispheres or other items in the seat back pocket

Neither definitive
Old Sep 21, 2020, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
I'd appreciate actually being able to see the attendants smile, and some sense of normalcy. Would be refreshing.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 5:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
I'd appreciate actually being able to see the attendants smile, and some sense of normalcy. Would be refreshing.
But if recent, a clear violation of UA policy
EuropeanPete and ajGoes like this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Let it go!

By my count, 3 people have already been murdered, just in the US, for hassling folks not wearing masks, not to mention the dozens who've had the snot beat out of them. There is no upside in confrontation, so don't say anything to the offender. File a complaint with CS. This is a management problem, leave it to them.
SPN Lifer, Silver Fox and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Burned at the stake? Is that not current UA policy?
SSF556 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by LarryJ
You are right - there is no way to tell if it is recent or not, other than OP's assertion that it is. I agree that if it is recent, filing a complaint is the best approach. It might not help people on that plane, but could help on future flights.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
i'm bored, so here's what i considered in my 5 minute amateur image analysis:

is the hawaii-themed apron standard for MCO-IAH flights? i don't take detailed notes about UA FA outfit choices, but i've only seen this on hawaii flights. this was the most glaring red flag for me.

speaking of glare - this is more speculative, but it appears as though the sun is on the starboard side of the a/c, which would generally indicate eastbound travel, particularly when an FA is up and about and the blue BSI interior lighting (normally used during cruise) is illuminated.

a/c 3818 probably operated this flight (20 SEP based on OP's posting time), and it is equipped with the interior pictured.

the flight appears to be relatively full. the seat map on UA's website reflects that (although this can be wildly inaccurate).
Old Sep 21, 2020, 10:29 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Ask for the lead FA. Explain to the lead FA that you are not comfortable with the FA not wearing a mask properly and ask the lead FA to speak with the FA. If the lead FA is the one not wearing a mask properly, ask them what the airline's policy is for passengers and employees wearing a mask and ask what are their options are including leaving the aircraft.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 11:06 pm

Programs: Several
Let it go?

My opinion is that most people traveling right now accept the risks. Social distancing on a plane is joke, HEPA filters or less people on the plane etc etc.

Im actually glad there’s been seemingly few instances of crew not wearing masks as they are definitely the ones most adamant about wearing them. I’ve been flying weekly since March and haven’t seen a single FA not abide by this on UA or UAX.

I doubt it’s a situation most people will encounter. Rather, brawling over the appropriate use of a mask seems more common.
SSF556 and grd787 like this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 11:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Are you asking what to do about the photo, or what to do if you encounter this situation when you start flying again?

If it's the photo you're concerned about, there is nothing to do - an anonymous photo on an internet board is not going to get the time of day from anyone.

If you encounter this scenario during your travels, it depends on your type of personality. I am more confrontational than most, so I will either address it directly with the FA and ask that they keep their mask on throughout the flight, or I will address it with a supervisor. If they threaten me with removal, the 'trump card' I have which is different than most passengers, is a national accounts manager with United, who I can bring into the situation and they most definitely will raise something like this up the food chain, even to the VP level if warranted - and that is not the attention any employee wants especially during layoffs. Now I am not suggesting screeching at the FA to put their mask on, but asking nicely using the same tone you would use with any stranger. If they refuse, then you should note their description, even taking a photo if you can do discreetly, and provide the details to customer service or the 1K desk depending on your membership level - from that point on, it's really on UA to decide what to do.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:06 am
Formerly known as scootr29

I would be refreshing to see a FA attendant smile.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Are you asking what to do about the photo, or what to do if you encounter this situation when you start flying again?

If it's the photo you're concerned about, there is nothing to do - an anonymous photo on an internet board is not going to get the time of day from anyone.

If you encounter this scenario during your travels, it depends on your type of personality. I am more confrontational than most, so I will either address it directly with the FA and ask that they keep their mask on throughout the flight, or I will address it with a supervisor. If they threaten me with removal, the 'trump card' I have which is different than most passengers, is a national accounts manager with United, who I can bring into the situation and they most definitely will raise something like this up the food chain, even to the VP level if warranted - and that is not the attention any employee wants especially during layoffs. Now I am not suggesting screeching at the FA to put their mask on, but asking nicely using the same tone you would use with any stranger. If they refuse, then you should note their description, even taking a photo if you can do discreetly, and provide the details to customer service or the 1K desk depending on your membership level - from that point on, it's really on UA to decide what to do.
Alrighty then

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 22, 2020 at 10:39 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Just remember, they are human too and may be getting furloughed next week

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.