Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air NZ discounted last min weekend trips

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2020, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite

I was chatting to a friend from Air NZ over the weekend about one of the promos they ran maybe 8ish years ago and it's been on my mind ever since because I can't recall the name of it. Can anybody else remember?

For a period Air NZ were running cheap R/T weekend fares for the upcoming weekend that they sold (from memory) on a Thursday. He had recollections about this being a Grabaseat promo but I'm positive this actually had a name. I know it's something I booked a number of, and something I always wished had been extended to weekend trips away to Australia.

Something like this is IMHO what Air NZ need to be pushing now to fill the last remaining seats and grow domestic tourism particularly to the regions. Weekend deals for say $99 each way popping up on a Thursday would definitely appeal to me as a way to see the country if the weather was looking good.

Can anybody remember this or remember what it was called so I'm not racking my brain all day again trying to remember what it was called?
Old Sep 21, 2020, 3:53 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
I vaguely recall reverse auctions they used to do on Thursdays probably 6 or 7 years ago ? Not sure if that's what you're referring to ?
Old Sep 21, 2020, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

No it wasn't those.. But they weren't a bad idea.

So much innovation is now missing.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 7:00 pm

Was it the mystery break thing?

Edit: Probably not because they're still available
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/air-new-zealand-mystery-breaks
Old Sep 22, 2020, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Nope wasn't mystery breaks.. It was just flights.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 2:44 am

Programs: NZ Silver
I had a hunt around waybackmachine but couldn't really find much. Bit of nostalgia on there around 2012...."How far can I go" tool, Starfish. The only thing that springs to mind are the reverse auctions.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 4:28 pm

Programs: NZ*E
It is used to be from another website, dates are close, but not days but more like 10 - 28 days away. Usually seats are sold as a bundle, say 2x Tokyo in J, 4 x Shanghai in Y
brought 2 x J to HKG but cannot remember amount paid with fixed dates.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 10:23 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Standby late night fares on Thursday. Friday, Saturday, Sunday nights - were they not like $50? Had to ring on the phone at check in to get them?
Old Sep 23, 2020, 10:32 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Nightrider?
kiwicyclo likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 11:14 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by mmonster
It is used to be from another website, dates are close, but not days but more like 10 - 28 days away. Usually seats are sold as a bundle, say 2x Tokyo in J, 4 x Shanghai in Y
brought 2 x J to HKG but cannot remember amount paid with fixed dates.
Yes, I remember the Grabaseat reverse auctions. Bought a few of them. Got a return J to LAX for $3.5k return.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rebound
Nightrider?
<br />

Nope. Nightrider was $29 10pm weekday flights between AKL/WLG.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Assume that the night rider flights were mainly funded by belly cargo space? An full a320 would be only be netting $5000 income before taxes, which would be an massive loss.

Would be great to see over the upcoming summer season something like nighter rider return to help the domestic tourism economy.

The cargo lift of an a321N on domestic would be pretty reasonable, if they made the whole flight seat only.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Assume that the night rider flights were mainly funded by belly cargo space? An full a320 would be only be netting $5000 income before taxes, which would be an massive loss.

Would be great to see over the upcoming summer season something like nighter rider return to help the domestic tourism economy.

The cargo lift of an a321N on domestic would be pretty reasonable, if they made the whole flight seat only.
Is there the same need for night belly space now that there are the 734Fs doing the nightly freight runs?
Old Sep 24, 2020, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Was Nightrider ever even flown by an A320? I revall it being 733 only so seat numbers were even lower.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 9:05 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Got to go fares? $69, 30 minutes prior to departure, no SP no A$ - all with drawn in 2015 . . . To any domestic destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.