Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Advice on getting a discount code reinstated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2020, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I am getting a bit frustrated. I had a discussion with an AC rep on Twitter who told me it wouldn't be an issue getting a 15% discount code (for previous flight issues) reissued for use (had been on a booking for this summer that was cancelled due to COVID). Told me to send original code to customer service email, who sent a stock response saying codes are one time use only.

I understand you can only use a code once, but the fact the flights didn't even operate means there is no way it could be 'used'. Am I being unreasonable here? I want to book the same flights for next summer (Olympics) and that 15% makes a big difference in flight price. Any advice? Thanks.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 9:37 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
We've had a number of examples of people getting new codes in exactly this situation. When you wrote in to customer service, did you explain that AC cancelled your original flights and that's why you're asking for another code?
Old Aug 13, 2020, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, I did. It seriously looks like someone cut and pasted the reply on the email. Do I just try sending to the same email address again? Or is there a real live person I can talk to?
Old Aug 13, 2020, 12:59 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
There's no customer service by phone.

You could try replying to the e-mail, reiterating your case, emphasizing that you weren't able to get the benefit of the first code since AC cancelled your flights. And mention that you've heard other people have gotten new codes in the same situation.

Or you could try writing in via the web form on the AC website. It may end up with the same people or not.
kenlor and YYCCL3 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
There's no customer service by phone.

You could try replying to the e-mail, reiterating your case, emphasizing that you weren't able to get the benefit of the first code since AC cancelled your flights. And mention that you've heard other people have gotten new codes in the same situation.

Or you could try writing in via the web form on the AC website. It may end up with the same people or not.
Thank you, I'll give it a shot!
Old Aug 13, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: AC SE
What is the status of the $ from your cancelled flight, as that may be a factor. Has it been refunded, converted to a gift card, or is it still sitting as a travel credit?

I had a flight cancelled by AC several months back. I can't reuse the promo code on a new booking, as it's already been used. I asked Customer Relations to reinstate the promo code, but they insist that it's still tied to the travel credit from the cancelled booking, so they won't reissue it. I'd requested to have the travel credit converted to a gift card, but that's taking forever. I'll ask again once it's been converted to a gift card, but it seems like they are sometimes denying the requests to reactivate promo cards if the prior booking is still sitting as a travel credit. If you've got a refund or had your booking converted to a gift card, that may be a bit more straightforward to get it reinstated or reissued.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I took mine as a refund, but the language they pasted into the reply referenced travel credit (which showed me no one actually bothered reading it!)
Old Aug 14, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
OP, try reaching out to AC on Twitter. That generally brings a much faster response than email or any of the website forms.

I did, after seeing this thread, and found that they've already proactively extended the codes I have to next August. Thoughtful move on AC's part.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Symmetre
OP, try reaching out to AC on Twitter. That generally brings a much faster response than email or any of the website forms.

I did, after seeing this thread, and found that they've already proactively extended the codes I have to next August. Thoughtful move on AC's part.
Thanks, that is how this all started, I messaged them on Twitter, who told me I had to reply to the original discount code email and the team would take care of it! Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing in all of this!
Old Sep 22, 2020, 4:17 pm

Programs: AC SE
So I had a % off discount code that was applied to a flight that AC cancelled from May. (AC cancelled, I didn't). I've tried to get it reissued, but AC refuses to budge even though they cancelled the flight.

First response (after AC cancelled flights):
I'm sorry to read that the booking that you applied your discount promotion code towards was cancelled. I see that the % discount code was successfully applied towards your booking. Although the booking was cancelled your unused tickets remain open to be applied as a future travel credit. As such, we aren't able to reissue your % Promotion Code as the tickets that your original Promotion Code were applied towards are still valid.
After the booking was officially closed and converted to a Travel Voucher, I'd asked again to have the discount code reissued, figuring this was a routine request once the booking was officially closed:

As indicated in my previous email, your discount Promotion Code was applied towards your ticket purchase. Although your booking has been cancelled, and your ticket remains unused, the value of the Promotion Code was used to reduce the purchase price of your ticket. Furthermore, an Air Canada Travel Voucher has been issued for the full value of your unused ticket. As the Promotion Code has been applied towards a ticket purchase, and you have received a voucher for the ticket purchased, your Promotion Code can't be reused or reissued. I appreciate this final opportunity to respond to your concerns.
So AC cancelled the flights, but won't reinstate the % off discount code because it was used to reduce the cost of the flights that were cancelled and I was unable to take?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.