Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access with guest plus a child

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2020, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Onyx Platinum
Lounge access with guest plus a child

I am sorry this must have been asked before, but all my searches draw a blank. I am sure there is a specific answer but opinion is appreciated.
My wife and I are both Gold. We are taking taking our daughter and son in law on a long deserved break, both BAEC Blue. As the bank of mum and dad are funding this we are flying ET (to MLA) late September. Now from LHR early doors.
I understand as two Golds we can go to F check in with our two guests and we would love them to experience the F Lounge experience (we never knock it). However they have, our grandkids a 3 year old and a 9 month infant. Does this exclude us? I seem to remember a summer holiday holiday lounge gesture for kids...
Old Aug 5, 2020, 4:15 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by Sparkyfletch
I am sorry this must have been asked before, but all my searches draw a blank. I am sure there is a specific answer but opinion is appreciated.
My wife and I are both Gold. We are taking taking our daughter and son in law on a long deserved break, both BAEC Blue. As the bank of mum and dad are funding this we are flying ET (to MLA) late September. Now from LHR early doors.
I understand as two Golds we can go to F check in with our two guests and we would love them to experience the F Lounge experience (we never knock it). However they have, our grandkids a 3 year old and a 9 month infant. Does this exclude us? I seem to remember a summer holiday holiday lounge gesture for kids...
If the kids are baby/toddler age I don't expect a problem for you bringing them in; it's more school age/teenagers who won't be allowed in
Old Aug 5, 2020, 4:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The best resource for these questions is the BA Lounge Access guide in the Forum Dashboard.

This is right on the border. You can indeed guest one each per gold card, and the younger grandchild doesn't count. But the 3 year old would count as traveller 5. If you are travelling at a quiet time midweek, they may allow it, but strictly speaking you are one too many and the perk of 2 guests is for GGL members and Prems. You can still check-in at the First Wing, particularly if all on one booking, but they may well suggest you can't use the security channel or lounge, if all in ET. One of your children could take a POUG then you would all have GC lounge access, and the gap between the different lounges is currently quite small. The POUG person could then swap back to ET, with permission of the SCCM.

For Golds with large family bookings on one PNR, there was indeed a targeted email inviting lounge use for all. I suspect this isn't a priority for anyone in BA right now.
firstlight and Fatdickie like this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Onyx Platinum
Thank you C-W-S. I knew you would know!
Old Aug 5, 2020, 6:05 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
My experience with youngsters was as CWS describes - you have no "right" for access, but grovelling politeness at the door, at a quiet time, might work!
Old Aug 5, 2020, 6:21 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The best resource for these questions is the BA Lounge Access guide in the Forum Dashboard.

This is right on the border. You can indeed guest one each per gold card, and the younger grandchild doesn't count. But the 3 year old would count as traveller 5. If you are travelling at a quiet time midweek, they may allow it, but strictly speaking you are one too many and the perk of 2 guests is for GGL members and Prems. You can still check-in at the First Wing, particularly if all on one booking, but they may well suggest you can't use the security channel or lounge, if all in ET. One of your children could take a POUG then you would all have GC lounge access, and the gap between the different lounges is currently quite small. The POUG person could then swap back to ET, with permission of the SCCM.

For Golds with large family bookings on one PNR, there was indeed a targeted email inviting lounge use for all. I suspect this isn't a priority for anyone in BA right now.
I completely agree that it's one over the formal rules, however BA need friends and loyal customers right now and looking after two golds turning up with a baby and a small child who is likely to not consume much champagne* would seem to be a good customer service move - especially as BA have been handing out lounge access to anyone paying Ł1000 pp for a booking.

*I won't elaborate on my own escapades as a 3 year old getting drunk at a wedding reception...
Cris L likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 3:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by firstlight
I completely agree that it's one over the formal rules, however BA need friends and loyal customers right now and looking after two golds turning up with a baby and a small child who is likely to not consume much champagne* would seem to be a good customer service move - especially as BA have been handing out lounge access to anyone paying Ł1000 pp for a booking.

*I won't elaborate on my own escapades as a 3 year old getting drunk at a wedding reception...
maybe, but then don't we always get the comments on here complaining about BA's lack of consistency? It seems everyone wants consistency, but also want the rules bending when it benefits them
Old Aug 6, 2020, 7:50 am

AllActionKen is gold and we have been lucky on numerous occasions taking our daughter into various one world lounges. She is now a very tall 4 year old so I suspect we might not be so lucky but until now we have always been allowed in. I should add that we have never asked if it was allowed and usually carried her in but always handed over her boarding pass and no one has ever said anything...
It is always worth giving it a ago!
KARFA and Steve_ZA like this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
They weren't allowing extra children into the F Lounge when I flew on Sat 25th. I had contacted customer service to ask if they would be doing the additional guests in the school holidays that they had done in previous years (pointing out that they were allowing access when booking some holidays) - I was told that it didn't look like they were planning to.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 1:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
At what age will they 'count'? Is it 2? My sister (GCH) is travelling with her husband and their 10 month old baby, I expect both will be allowed in with her without a problem?
Otherwise that baby’s pram will be parked next to the lifts (just kidding)

Last edited by TPRun; Mar 31, 2023 at 3:37 pm
Old Mar 31, 2023, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
Yes, I believe it's 2.

If they are an infant in arms rather than own seat, they are not counted towards guest allowance.

On the one occasion I had to test this, single individuals somewhat over 2 but still small may become invisible to lounge agents.
TPRun likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Yes, I believe it's 2.

If they are an infant in arms rather than own seat, they are not counted towards guest allowance.

On the one occasion I had to test this, single individuals somewhat over 2 but still small may become invisible to lounge agents.
Thank you, I'll be carrying in my 90 year old, very short grandma next time too then
BertieBadger and orbitmic like this.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by TPRun
Thank you, I'll be carrying in my 90 year old, very short grandma next time too then
Well played!

And indeed I hope that the agents would appreciate the effort and grant access
adrianlondon and TPRun like this.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Well played!

And indeed I hope that the agents would appreciate the effort and grant access
She's more trouble than anyone else tbh, I'd rather park her by the lift
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 3:07 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Are the lounges not already over capacity due to the extensions etc? I would suggest Sept maybe slightly less busy once the schools go back and the extensions come to a close.

One thing to note, whatever you do, please do not ambush a random passenger and arrogantly demand they guest one of your party in.....
BertieBadger likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.