Wiki Posts
Search

MEX-LHR-MEX one off in July

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2020, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
MEX-LHR-MEX one off in July

Hi, I've noticed that today BA243 is on route to Mexico, returning tomorrow night as BA242. I've noticed that only 5 seats booked on the return leg, but cannot see loads for today's flight inbound to Mex.
Any idea why BA would operate a one off, considing all flights in July and Aug on the route cancelled? Economy seats are going for upwards of 2k USD, which seems really odd. Unless there is a reasonable load on the flight today, I'm not sure why else they'd be operating it. Any ideas? Cargo?
Old Jul 15, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
BA have been running MEX cargo flights since mid May, not available for passenger bookings. I have absolutely no idea why they left only today's as available in both directions, as you say all others for the foreseeable future are still cargo only.
TTmex likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

With such light loads, wonder if the economy seats will be covered in cargo and they'll stick everyone in the CW cabin. With only 5 seats booked on whole plane, can't imagine there being more than 15-20 passengers in total .
Old Jul 15, 2020, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Tomorrow's availability is:

F6 A5 J9 C9 D9 R9 I0 W9 E0 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G9

Two seats already selected in F, three in J and one in W. Strange.
TTmex likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Yeh, the chepest fare is at 2k USD,. A typical fare is 700-800 USD in economy. Can't imagine there being many takers at all
Old Jul 15, 2020, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Avios availability in Y, W and F though!
Old Jul 15, 2020, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Yeh, there is wide open avail across the next year. I've upgraded by Xmas flight to First, hoping that availability will open the other way too. I'm willing to go in First just to avoid sitting next to anyone
Old Jul 15, 2020, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by TTmex
With such light loads, wonder if the economy seats will be covered in cargo and they'll stick everyone in the CW cabin. With only 5 seats booked on whole plane, can't imagine there being more than 15-20 passengers in total .
There is absolutely no way the regulations would allow passengers to fly in the cabin at the same time as ‘cargo in cabin’ is being carried (at least not without a full partition wall ŕ la Combi, before some smart alec jumps in ). I wonder if it’s not a case of how many pax, but who, is flying? Just a hypothesis anyway.
TTmex and Diver Boy like this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Yeh, I did think it might be very unlikely. Perhaps could be someone important on board, but surely they'd not fly a 787 just for a few VIPs. haha.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 2:03 pm

Yeh, I did think it might be very unlikely. Perhaps could be someone important on board, but surely they'd not fly a 787 just for a few VIPs. haha.
You don't understand, they haven't laid on just one 787 flight to MEX. BA are flying to MEX 4 times a week at the moment, and have been since mid-May. These are using the normal BA243/242 flight number (externally anyway). These flights are not available for people to book. For some reason that we do not know, today's LHR-MEX and Friday's MEX-LHR were not cancelled for passenger operations and remained available for a handful of people scattered throughout CW/WTP/WT.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

I understand perfectly that they are flying cargo flights. But I'm curious as to why they have laid this on to allow passengers. It's even advertised on the FCO-linked website here that BA is providing this opportunity to passengers. My point you have highlighted relates to the presence of passengers on these flights, not to the general existence of 787s between the two countries. I'd have assumed cargo flights were not just using the bins below, but also the cabin (as observed on a number of videos). It just seems strange that all of a sudden there is a one off flight that opens the cabin the passengers.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 2:11 pm

I'd have assumed cargo flights were not just using the bins below, but also the cabin (as observed on a number of videos). It just seems strange that all of a sudden there is a one off flight that opens the cabin the passengers.
Don't assume. Those flights with cargo in the cabin were special medical supply flights from China carrying boxes of personal protective equipment etc. These MEX flights are just regular IAG cargo flights using a passenger aircraft.
TTmex likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Yep, seems the likely case. Hopefully we'll see some regular passenger flights later in the year. For now, I'll resort to a quick look out the window to see it on approach later today.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA,EK,QF
Hi, I've noticed that today BA243 is on route to Mexico, returning tomorrow night as BA242. I've noticed that only 5 seats booked on the return leg, but cannot see loads for today's flight inbound to Mex.
Any idea why BA would operate a one off, considing all flights in July and Aug on the route cancelled? Economy seats are going f or upwards of 2k USD, which seems really odd. Unless there is a reasonable load on the flight today, I'm not sure why else they'd be operating it. Any ideas? Cargo?
o
Old Jul 16, 2020, 12:00 am

I understand perfectly that they are flying cargo flights. But I'm curious as to why they have laid this on to allow passengers. It's even advertised on the FCO-linked website here that BA is providing this opportunity to passengers. My point you have highlighted relates to the presence of passengers on these flights, not to the general existence of 787s between the two countries. I'd have assumed cargo flights were not just using the bins below, but also the cabin (as observed on a number of videos). It just seems strange that all of a sudden there is a one off flight that opens the cabin the passengers.
Essential workers such as Embassy staff, Military personnel etc still have to travel. Young rapidex has had his demob postponed, and now has a new job in battalion headquarters reporting to a well known General. He has been told it will be a requirement for him to travel on some cargo only flights. This is following on from his last 3 months running mobile covid testing stations in Yorkshire and the North East.
TTmex likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.