Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Closed properties accepting future reservations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:51 am
Original Poster

If Marriott has a property currently closed due to Covid/low bookings, but they accepted future reservations, will Marriott notify patrons in a timely manner, if the property will *remain* closed through your arrival? Is there enough advance notice given to rebook elsewhere with options?
Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Bonvoy, Enrich
We were transferred to neighboring property.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As a general practice I never rely on the vendor, whether it is an air carrier, hotel or other, to notify me of anything. In this day and age, it is easy enough to monitor upcoming travel proactively.

I also would not use broad-based terms such as "Marriott" rather than a specific property. Bottom line is that Marriott's systems are dependent on what is fed by individual properties. Even more so during a pandemic when staffing may be minimal.

Bottom line is to monitor your reservation as well as more generally, your property's web page and what is written. May even be worth a call (not to a toll-free line, but the FD).
Old Jul 15, 2020, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Probably not.

btw, Marriott doesn't decide whether to close (or reopen) properties. The individual operator does.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by etna9726b
If Marriott has a property currently closed due to Covid/low bookings, but they accepted future reservations, will Marriott notify patrons in a timely manner, if the property will *remain* closed through your arrival? Is there enough advance notice given to rebook elsewhere with options?
As noted by others both in this thread and the Marriott forum, getting notified depends on what's happening at the individual property.

Some property web pages on Marriott's site have been updated but most are not.

From what's been posted, folks are getting notified closer in to their reservation that they've been accommodated elsewhere at a Marriott property. How much notice and your risk tolerance may or may not be acceptable to you.

Given these experiences, it seems prudent to call the property in question to find out what their rebook options are, if any, and the notice provided.

David
Old Jul 15, 2020, 11:33 am

In both instances where a hotel was taking bookings and decided to close or remain closed, I received e-mails directly from the property around the time the decision was made. In both cases it was a few weeks before my reservation. I was told to contact the property if I needed assistance with rebooking.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 6:53 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I had a booking at the Renaissance in Crystal City for this weekend. I called the hotel after making the booking to see if they had any dining outlets open or planned to open. The phone message when called said the property was closed until August 1st. I thought it strange and decided to wait til the next day to follow up more. The next day I get an email from someone at the Residence Inn next door that my reservation had been moved there. I asked why they were still taking bookings for this weekend (and still are) if they know they are closed? I was told it was a Renaissance thing they dont control that. So, in this case it was the hotel that contacted me via email and I would imaging that is pretty typical. I personally think once a property knows for sure it is closed during a particular time frame they should take any more bookings, deceptive to me.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mcgahat
I had a booking at the Renaissance in Crystal City for this weekend. I called the hotel after making the booking to see if they had any dining outlets open or planned to open. The phone message when called said the property was closed until August 1st. I thought it strange and decided to wait til the next day to follow up more. The next day I get an email from someone at the Residence Inn next door that my reservation had been moved there. I asked why they were still taking bookings for this weekend (and still are) if they know they are closed? I was told it was a Renaissance thing they dont control that. So, in this case it was the hotel that contacted me via email and I would imaging that is pretty typical. I personally think once a property knows for sure it is closed during a particular time frame they should take any more bookings, deceptive to me.
Ren and RI are *very* different brands and normally have different price points. I would be very unhappy to have the hotel switch my reservation as IF I had wanted to stay at that RI, I would have booked it instead of the Ren. It sounds like bait and switch to me.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Ren and RI are *very* different brands and normally have different price points. I would be very unhappy to have the hotel switch my reservation as IF I had wanted to stay at that RI, I would have booked it instead of the Ren. It sounds like bait and switch to me.
The Ren Arlington Capital View and the RI Arlington Capital View (Crystal City) are adjacent - likely run by the same property management company. TBH, I've only stayed at the Ren 'tho.

David

p.s. Could have been worse, across the street is the CY Arlington/CC/DCA - that could have been the reservation switch.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 9:55 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by JJuice
We were transferred to neighboring property.
This was my experience as well.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 10:14 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes, I am totally on board with that. I basically told them that I considered it a bait and switch tactic given that they are still accepting reservations even though they know it will be closed. They are essentially one building and I have to assume they have the same owner and just a game they are playing.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 5:09 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Bonvoy, Enrich
It probably depends on the hotel you were transferred to. In my case, the category increased by 2 and we were thrilled. I used this to my advantage and booked the same hotel (already transferred and upgraded) for a second getaway.

if I were downgraded in category, I would have a different reaction.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 10:43 am

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
W Miami South Beach decided to cancel my points reservation for August and told me I could go to the RC or Aloft... ..

The RC would require more points (though same category, so I guess the rates went up since I booked).. in my mind, they should have offered to switch hotels for no change in rate. The alternative of re-booking in a month or two when reopened would cost 200,000 points instead of the 140,000 I originally paid. Lose lose I guess.

No individual message, just mass mailing... and that's as an LTPP and an Ambassador.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 4:51 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
That's really crappy that they didn't offer to transfer you with no change in rate/points. Of course, I had a May stay in Virginia where a full service Sheraton offered to move my reservation- with no change in rate - but to a much inferior hotel. So they could have just moved you to the Aloft. Seems there's no real Marriott policy on how this is to be handled.

Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
W Miami South Beach decided to cancel my points reservation for August and told me I could go to the RC or Aloft... ..

The RC would require more points (though same category, so I guess the rates went up since I booked).. in my mind, they should have offered to switch hotels for no change in rate. The alternative of re-booking in a month or two when reopened would cost 200,000 points instead of the 140,000 I originally paid. Lose lose I guess.

No individual message, just mass mailing... and that's as an LTPP and an Ambassador.
Kevin Weldon likes this.

Last edited by dcstudent; Jul 17, 2020 at 4:59 pm
Old Jul 18, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
It is true that Marriott does not control what individual properties do (in general), but it is also true that Marriott should be willing to impose some baseline standards about notification and treatment under a cancellation on the part of the property (e.g. "No increase in cost to the consumer if reservation is to be moved, and a walk must be offered except under X circumstances" [e.g. no in-family property of a vaguely similar quality available within X distance]).
dcstudent and etna9726b like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.