Wiki Posts
Search

How to use AC COVID-19 voucher?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2020, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
How to use AC COVID-19 voucher?

Hi all, apologies if this question has asked before. I would have thought so, but didn't find anything despite several searches...

Back in April, AC cancelled one of my flights and only gave me the voucher option. Would anybody here know how I can redeem such a voucher? At the time, the agent I spoke to told me that I would need the ticket number, but I don't know what to do with it...

Many thanks in advance for your help!
Old Jul 13, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
You would need to use the booking reference (PNR) or ticket number. Do note that if you use a voucher this way then you must book a flight of equal or greater value or you will lose the residual value.

You can convert this booking to a gift card that will not expire or Aeoplan miles however expect that to take 6 weeks (or more).

Last edited by dr_torch; Jul 13, 2020 at 5:55 pm
Old Jul 13, 2020, 3:11 pm

Programs: AC 75K
If it's just a voucher - not converted to a gift card, you need to call AC Reservations to book your new flights.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 4:26 pm

"You have opted to convert and transfer $xxx, the remaining value of all tickets and associated services, minus applicable taxes, fees, and charges, to an AirCanada Travel Voucher. Please allow up to six weeks for processing. Once your Air Canada Travel Voucher is processed, you will receive two emails to the email address on file: one email with the Air Canada Travel Voucher number and another with the Air Canada Travel Voucher PIN."

1. This sure sounds like a gift card, at least it was explained that way to me as an agent. Is this correct?
2. Does it actually take six weeks to arrive? I interpreted "Book with flexibility" as "I have a free option on future travel", but bearing pricing risk for six weeks isn't really a free option...
Old Jul 13, 2020, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
You need to call AC. Once you get through, keep in mind:
1. Its not transferable
2. There is no residual value
3. Unless this was a straight forward ticket with no changes, adcols, fees, etc - they wont know the value of it.

You can of course turn it into an ecoupon (gift card) - this was loudly annouced to be ready by june 15, then july 5 ... then 6 to 10 weeks.
So noone has actually seen one of those yet.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 8:01 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jjclancy
1. This sure sounds like a gift card, at least it was explained that way to me as an agent. Is this correct?
From everything we know, yes, it will be very similar to a gift card. Kind of like an eCoupon is pretty much the same as a gift card. But no one has reported receiving one yet, so we can't confirm 100%.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
From everything we know, yes, it will be very similar to a gift card. Kind of like an eCoupon is pretty much the same as a gift card. But no one has reported receiving one yet, so we can't confirm 100%.
According to the multiple media releases, flexible options will be available June 15th.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rankourabu
According to the multiple media releases, flexible options will be available June 15th.
"Will be" and a date a month in the past don't jibe.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
"Will be" and a date a month in the past don't jibe.
That's exactly the point.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 2:56 pm

This talk of e-coupon, converting to gift cards, etc. is making my head hurt.

I had a non-refundable flight booked in July that I had to cancel. Despite it being non-refundable, I was offered a travel voucher for the full amount. The email I got says I have "opted to convert and transfer $XXXX.XX [the full amount I paid], the remaining value of all tickets and associated services, minus applicable taxes, fees, and charges, to an Air Canada Travel Voucher. The voucher can be used multiple times, is fully transferable and has no expiry date." It says I'll get two emails within six weeks with the vouch number and a PIN number. Anyhow, that was nine weeks ago and I haven't received anything.

Should I expect to receive these emails eventually, or is that a load of horse plop?
Old Aug 16, 2020, 4:28 pm

I don’t think anyone has gotten them yet... I’m waiting on 2 from flights canceled in early June.
unclepants likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
I have two tickets that i asked to be converted to gift cards - that was 2 months ago....its about time where i want to book speculative Christmas travel to YOW (pending the stupid 14 day quarantine being lifted - you can get a test upon arrival to release you!).

how long is it taking for these gift cards to be processed?
Aselwyn likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 7:02 pm

Programs: AC, KL
They're now refunding the residual value after rebooking.
Lornag likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 4:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC
I don't know if there's an updated thread on this. But these "vouchers" (the agent used the term) which were supposed to be issued a few weeks after requesting them online, have been held up since mid- October with no end in sight. Agent says 80% of their calls are related to this. They say they can cancel the requested voucher and then purchase any tickets using the old ticket and then remit a request for a voucher for the remaining amount.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 7:27 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by Lornag
They say they can cancel the requested voucher and then purchase any tickets using the old ticket and then remit a request for a voucher for the remaining amount.
You are totally correct but it seems to depend on the agent. I have also been told by agents that you cannot use a partial ticket or else you lose the residual value which seems to mean the agent cannot be bothered to make it work for you.

In these situations I have just decided to thank the agent for their time, hang up, curse under my breath and then call back

As for if I will ever get a "voucher" that I have been waiting for since June is another story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.