Good planes parked, old ones flying

Old Jul 12, 2020, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Good planes parked, old ones flying

Two flights today on old un-updated US Airways a319/321 no power. They’ve parked the new ones? PHX admirals club closed at 5pm. Not fun.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
All the LUS A319s now have power. Are you sure you were on an A319?
Old Jul 12, 2020, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
It’s comical looking at people looking around for a power source on the LUS A321s.....we’re how far into this dumpster fire of a takeover (ahem “merger”)?
IAHtraveler, cmd320, Spiff and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by PaulSEA1
Two flights today on old un-updated US Airways a319/321 no power. They’ve parked the new ones? PHX admirals club closed at 5pm. Not fun.
Money is the reason............ Why use the new ones until you have to?
I neglected to do this in May as I bought a new car while my old one still ran.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
It’s comical looking at people looking around for a power source on the LUS A321s.....we’re how far into this dumpster fire of a takeover (ahem “merger”)?
And many of us at UA thank you for doing so. We are so thankful that our attempted action failed.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by mvoight
Money is the reason............ Why use the new ones until you have to?
I neglected to do this in May as I bought a new car while my old one still ran.
New aircraft are almost always cheaper to operate than old ones. That said, it almost certainly is an operational issue. I don’t think they generally think in terms of “good” or “old” planes, but rather which is operationally best (taking costs into account of course) for the mission.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 1:18 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
This is likely driven by heavy checks. Since some airplanes are coming due for heavy checks, it makes sense to park them instead of spending the money now and parking the ones that don't need the expensive checks now.
JDiver and Spanish like this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ
This is likely driven by heavy checks. Since some airplanes are coming due for heavy checks, it makes sense to park them instead of spending the money now and parking the ones that don't need the expensive checks now.
All those good ole deferred costs that absolutely no one in the stock markets seems to give a riff about.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Does anyone else think if AA had decided to retire the DOGS' this fall instead of last fall they would still be flying for the inevitable future?
Old Jul 13, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Blumie
New aircraft are almost always cheaper to operate than old ones. That said, it almost certainly is an operational issue. I don’t think they generally think in terms of “good” or “old” planes, but rather which is operationally best (taking costs into account of course) for the mission.
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Pure speculation on my part, but it could be they might be trying to squeeze as much as possible out of the older planes to preserve the "mileage" - as defined by aircraft usage, by the newer planes.
arollins and JDiver like this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Pure speculation on my part, but it could be they might be trying to squeeze as much as possible out of the older planes to preserve the "mileage" - as defined by aircraft usage, by the newer planes.
Not likely in the sense we think of (i.e., I’m going to drive this into the ground before replacing it). But as noted heavy checks may well play into it. They might operate older aircraft right up to the point where heavy checks are required and then park them if the aircraft are not needed.
teemuflyer, wrp96 and JDiver like this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Blumie
Not likely in the sense we think of (i.e., I’m going to drive this into the ground before replacing it). But as noted heavy checks may well play into it. They might operate older aircraft right up to the point where heavy checks are required and then park them if the aircraft are not needed.
Agreed that the heavy check schedule impact. But I also think the calculations are multidimensional. Unless on the inside, who knows what the formula is..
Old Jul 13, 2020, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by TEBraniff
All those good ole deferred costs that absolutely no one in the stock markets seems to give a riff about.
When you’re trying to preserve liquidity, it absolutely makes a difference
Old Jul 13, 2020, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
When you’re trying to preserve liquidity, it absolutely makes a difference
And every single airline industry analyst recognizes that.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Are the making lease payments on all aircraft? If not then they cant fly them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.