Search

Aeroplan Missed Leg Impact

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2020, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, WJ Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Ambassador
Aeroplan Missed Leg Impact

Hi,

Curious if in theory I was to book YYZ-CAI-AMM-IST and potentially miss the last leg, if aeroplan would cancel any other bookings (separate return booking). Also what is likely hood we could collect luggage at AMM (booking flight to IST roughly 23 hours after landing) ?
Old Jul 7, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
No - if you miss the last leg and that is the last leg of your booking then only that leg will get cancelled. You could inform the airline in AMM that you will not be taking the connecting flight and so they will not be calling you at the gate.

I'm not sure about the last question. With AC and an overnight layover I always collect my luggage (for instance, YOW-YYZ-PVR where YYZ-PVR is the next day) but I assume you can also ask them to short check the bag to AMM. Somebody with more experience may be able to help you with that one.

Just out of curiosity why do this with AE? Are the taxes less?
NB_Falcon likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Saves a substantial amount of miles with IST (57.5 J) vs North Africa (82.5 J).
Old Jul 7, 2020, 3:37 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
what about the risk of a missed connection resulting in a reroute straight to IST (skipping AMM)?

especially during the current covid situation which might make it more risky....
canadiancow, dr_torch and RangerNS like this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Hidden city ticketing in the current climate is just stupid.

What if you arrive in CAI and MS has cancelled CAI-AMM due to loads or whatever, and they put you on MS or TK to IST? You have no recourse there.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

The booking is for March, hopefully operations are back to somewhat normal by that point.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by NB_Falcon
The booking is for March, hopefully operations are back to somewhat normal by that point.
Okay, that's hopefully more reasonable, but you can still run into day of departure issues.

And if there's a schedule change before then, your options will be "route to IST another way" or "refund". If you can accept that risk, then you should be fine on a practical level.

But I wouldn't go making non-refundable hotel/activity reservations.
NB_Falcon likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 7:26 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
And not to sound " holier than thou", but this is why reward itineraries should always charge the highest amount based on transits - not just stops.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
And not to sound " holier than thou", but this is why reward itineraries should always charge the highest amount based on transits - not just stops.
Wouldn't that be just as true for all itineraries?
Old Jul 8, 2020, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line is that if you no show for a segment of a ticket, it and any onwards or return segments are subject to cancellation. If you skip the last segment. there are no further segments to cancel and thus no real consequence. I would urge you not to advise a carrier that you will not fly. No good can come of it and you run all manner of risks should it be taken the wrong way.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Bottom line is that if you no show for a segment of a ticket, it and any onwards or return segments are subject to cancellation. If you skip the last segment. there are no further segments to cancel and thus no real consequence. I would urge you not to advise a carrier that you will not fly. No good can come of it and you run all manner of risks should it be taken the wrong way.
I'd say don't bother checking in. If it's 23 hours, there's a very good chance they won't be able to check you in for the final segment anyway. That's basically telling them you're not coming without calling them up and saying you're doing hidden city, but avoids the paging at the gate.

I had an issue last year where I was piecing two tickets together and I accidentally booked one segment on both PNRs (different flights, an hour apart, but same route). I didn't notice until I was checking in. I told them in the MLL what happened, and that I would not be flying one (the last segment on the first PNR), but would be flying the other. They handled it. But I think I actually spent more money with this mistake, so there was no issue.

Airlines don't like it, because you're violating the contract you agreed to. But the only care if it costs them money. This costs Aeroplan money. They could attempt to do many things (sue you, deduct more miles from your account, ban your account) if they catch you, but I've never heard of that happening.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:58 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Wouldn't that be just as true for all itineraries?
They often do on revenue tickets - that is what is called a HIP check.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 2:05 pm

They often do on revenue tickets - that is what is called a HIP check.
That applies to stopovers, not connections.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Perhaps they should look at their reward requirements for Northern Africa, does it make sense to charge more than Australia and Southern Africa....Egypt and Morocco seem like they shouldn't be placed in the highest point bucket for the program.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Ticket prices, whether points or cash, are based on supply & demand, not distance covered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.