Wiki Posts
Search

If not CX, then who?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2020, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus
If not CX, then who?

I have a personal trip coming up next year (hopefully?), and it being a milestone, of sorts, anniversary trip, I am trying to go all in on this trip. My itinerary is ORD-PEK // PEK-HKG // SIN-ORD. Unless I do UA in J for ORD-PEK.... I don't know that any of the segments could be non-stop, so it really opens up the possibilities of carriers. My intent is to do F to the greatest extent possible. My idea was to utilize CX for at least one and possibly two of the segments. Should CX not be flying any F next year, what historically would others look to for preferred routes/carriers (I also realize that unless Covid-19 disappears, that everything is speculative at this point, but wanted to get ideas from more frequent flyers on potential substitutions assuming similar routes and schedules to pre-Covid-19).

A second question, how do people feel CX J compares to J on other carriers. If I need to default to J for this trip, CX makes the most sense from a routing perspective as it has the availability of routes from ORD to SE Asia, but I am willing to spend a bit more time in the air for a superior product.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 11:28 pm

Programs: Alaska
why not JL?

many perfer JL to CX on F or J.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 12:01 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I don’t know how the price compares, but if F is important, then you could look into Emirates. They will have F available a lot more consistently than CX. And their F experience is way more over the top than CX’s service.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 4:39 am

Programs: Confirmed
For ORD-PEK, consider ANA and JAL for F.
For PEK-HKG, KA F has the same seat of CX J if it's being operated by a 3-class. But it's more likely to be swapped for a 2-class. I see no point paying for that.

For SIN-ORD, consider QR, EK, LH or LX for F. Whether CX will operate HKG-ORD with a 3-class aircraft is a question mark.

Compare the total price you have paid with a oneworld round the world fare in F. Would you be paying cash or doing a redemption?
Old Jul 2, 2020, 10:11 am

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
MU in F isn't so bad I hear.... and then fly back to JFK or something on SQ? That sounds like an awesome trip to me... but to be honest, I think CX will continue to operate F to ORD.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmiller11101
MU in F isn't so bad I hear.... and then fly back to JFK or something on SQ? That sounds like an awesome trip to me... but to be honest, I think CX will continue to operate F to ORD.
Curious as to your logic on CX continuing to operate F to ORD (presumably on 777-300)..... I have heard that CX award redemption for F was usually reasonably attainable, which I extrapolate to mean weaker demand for F which in turn supports their switching to A350's for the route and selling more J.... and the general consensus on FT seems to be that with the pre-Covid switch to A350 for the summer season, that a return of 777-300 was less likely. Always interested in getting other's perspective, so thanks in advance
Old Jul 2, 2020, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKRan
For ORD-PEK, consider ANA and JAL for F.
For PEK-HKG, KA F has the same seat of CX J if it's being operated by a 3-class. But it's more likely to be swapped for a 2-class. I see no point paying for that.

For SIN-ORD, consider QR, EK, LH or LX for F. Whether CX will operate HKG-ORD with a 3-class aircraft is a question mark.

Compare the total price you have paid with a oneworld round the world fare in F. Would you be paying cash or doing a redemption?
My goal would be to do award redemptions, but realistically I am hopeful to book one award seat and rev tkt for the other seat. As I am sure most FTers can attest, award seats seem proportionately harder to get by moving up to F from J and utilizing the premium carriers with premium experiences. We have flown LH on TATL quite a bit, and a little LX (but mostly in J), so my desire is to try some new carriers for some new experiences. A potential limitation is transfer partners with Amex and Chase.... my presumption is that award redemption are going to be generally easier if I can transfer directly to the requisite carrier (eg. SQ) rather than an alliance partner of SQ and hope to get an award via the alliance partner route.... I also have a significant number of UA's MP points so *A would be helpful, but I haven't found getting F via a *A redemption to be achievable with LH/LX or SQ. What is your take on partner awards with oneWorld?
t
MisterTanaka likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freed0m
why not JL?

many perfer JL to CX on F or J.
Thanks, will start looking closer at JL, and ANA also.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Brostman
Curious as to your logic on CX continuing to operate F to ORD (presumably on 777-300).....
This is a necessary correction.

B773 and B77W (777-300W) are different submodels, making them different planes. While CX has both, B773s are generally in regional (i.e. non-INTL) configuration. On the other hand, B77W are in INTL configuration.

Before the COVID-19, CX used B77W, not B773, for ORD-HKG.

My goal would be to do award redemptions, but realistically I am hopeful to book one award seat and rev tkt for the other seat.
Unless you are ready to book now, I would hold off the planning for now.

When you intend to use the award, there are many factors to consider. Even with careful planning, things can be changed next day. So even you find yourself a nice seat, it will be still be meaningless if you can't book it and confirm it.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by cmiller11101
MU can be pretty good if you are connecting from ORD to India. Special catering always load 2-3 nice Indian mains, and IFEs are loaded with good Bollywood films.

There is even a full-bright loud fitness session in the right middle of the flight.

PVG T1 isn’t as hideous as T2.

so many pluses. Other airlines seem boring.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 9:06 pm

My goal would be to do award redemptions, but realistically I am hopeful to book one award seat and rev tkt for the other seat. As I am sure most FTers can attest, award seats seem proportionately harder to get by moving up to F from J and utilizing the premium carriers with premium experiences. We have flown LH on TATL quite a bit, and a little LX (but mostly in J), so my desire is to try some new carriers for some new experiences. A potential limitation is transfer partners with Amex and Chase.... my presumption is that award redemption are going to be generally easier if I can transfer directly to the requisite carrier (eg. SQ) rather than an alliance partner of SQ and hope to get an award via the alliance partner route.... I also have a significant number of UA's MP points so *A would be helpful, but I haven't found getting F via a *A redemption to be achievable with LH/LX or SQ. What is your take on partner awards with oneWorld?
t
OK. Just remember LX F is only available to M&M premium members, SQ J and F are only available to KrisFlyer members usually.

LH/LX J are no good for your special occasion.

LH/NH F is not difficult to be found using MP, especially from Asia to Europe.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 2:41 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Thanks, will start looking closer at JL, and ANA also.
Pay particular attention to the aircraft you are booking on for ANA, especially to and from North America. I believe they are using the older seat configuration on their 777 until I believe October of 2020, so if you are wanting to book the new {The Suite) First class seat, it should be after any time from October 2020 onwards, and I think they only fly that configuration to and from JFK and LAX. ANA operates four different variants of the 777-300ER:
  • 264 seats (8F / 52J / 24W / 180Y)
  • 250 seats (8F / 52J / 24W / 166Y)
  • 212 seats (8F / 68J / 24W / 112Y)
  • New 212 seats (8F / 64J / 24W / 116Y)
Old Jul 4, 2020, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craig44485
Pay particular attention to the aircraft you are booking on for ANA, especially to and from North America. I believe they are using the older seat configuration on their 777 until I believe October of 2020, so if you are wanting to book the new {The Suite) First class seat, it should be after any time from October 2020 onwards, and I think they only fly that configuration to and from JFK and LAX. ANA operates four different variants of the 777-300ER:
This is why I appreciate FT so much... valuable insights from more experienced and gracious flyers.... thank you, it definitely helps me avoid the pitfalls
craig44485 and CX HK like this.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craig44485
Originally Posted by garykung
This is a necessary correction.

B773 and B77W (777-300W) are different submodels, making them different planes. While CX has both, B773s are generally in regional (i.e. non-INTL) configuration. On the other hand, B77W are in INTL configuration.
Before the COVID-19, CX used B77W, not B773, for ORD-HKG.
Unless you are ready to book now, I would hold off the planning for now.
When you intend to use the award, there are many factors to consider. Even with careful planning, things can be changed next day. So even you find yourself a nice seat, it will be still be meaningless if you can't book it and confirm it.
Thank you for the advice... yes my trip is a ways off but since I am planning the sort of trip I don't regularly make, I am trying to educate myself now so I am somewhat prepared when reservation windows open. Hopefully Covid clears up substantially by then so I can start finalizing plans at that time..thanks again
craig44485 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 3:52 pm

The PRC moves in HK may result in travel disruptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.