Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Possible duplicate AAdvantage account accidentally created for my aunt

Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus

My aunt has the AAdvantage Aviator Red card, but she doesn't know how to actually access her AAdvantage account on AA.com. I used the form on AA.com to retrieve her AAdvantage account number, but it appears that form created her a duplicate AAdvantage account instead of retrieving her existing AAdvantage account.

She will be coming over here on June 7, and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to help merge the two accounts. I can check if the last digits of the AAdvantage account number on file with Barclays matches the account number that I recieved from AA, but if not, is there anything I can do to help her? Also, she has a hard time remembering passwords, so hopefully she remembers her username and password with Barclays.

EDIT: Alternatively, I can see if she has any miles with the account number I recieved from AA. It appears there are security questions that I never set, so maybe it isn't a duplicate after all. She would probably know the answers. The email though that she forwarded me appears like it is for a new account creation, rather than for an existing account.

Last edited by Delta 764; Jun 3, 2020 at 9:33 pm
Old Jun 4, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Not exactly your Aunt’s situation but when US Air and AA merged back in 2015, as an elite member of US Air’s program I had their account which was changed to a new AA account and an old existing AA account. I ended up with two AA accounts after the merger and I phoned AA and was routed to the appropriate department where they fixed the issue. I never attempted to fix it online. I’d phone them.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 10:24 am

I had a similar issue where when I got a citi card they decided to create a new account number for me instead of using my existing one that I gave them. It was a simple matter to fix via phone call to AA. They took care of whatever needed to be done to get citi on the same account number.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
You can do this online without calling. Log in to the account that you wish to keep, go to 'Your account', select 'Edit account' from the menu just below the name and click 'Merge accounts' which is the last item in the list. Then, on the 'Merge AAdvantage accounts' page, enter the account number of the duplicate account in the field provided and presto.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.