Wiki Posts
Search

Status Matches out there?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2020, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
Status Matches out there?

The mods may disagree and wish to move this, but - picking up from a comment in another thread - there is much disquiet about many of BA's current policies being voiced in here at the moment. More than one person has talked of status matches in the context of leaving BA behind in the future. But I'm not aware of any such matches out there at the moment - what (if anything) have I missed?
LifeontheBeach likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 5:42 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
This site may help Browse Airlines | StatusMatcher

I would expect status matches between alliances would be much more likely that within an alliance. I think TK will status match from BAEC for example.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 6:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I think it's a fair question..also assessing my options right now as not sure how valuable oneworld will be for me going forward. Also shocked that BAs welcome back still includes no proper onboard service. Delta seems to offer a reasonable match and the revenue req can be waived for some countries.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 7:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by TTmex
I think it's a fair question..also assessing my options right now as not sure how valuable oneworld will be for me going forward. Also shocked that BAs welcome back still includes no proper onboard service. Delta seems to offer a reasonable match and the revenue req can be waived for some countries.
I'd definitely be interested in a Star status match/challenge but not the TK or Aegean route. Since my main flying is domestic Canada, Canada-UK and Canada-Europe Lufthansa getting off their high horse would be ideal for me to be Senator again
TTmex likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
There is a lot of info on status matches in this thread in the milesbuzz forum:
Airline Status Match Master Thread
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:21 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Retracted

Last edited by TravelingZoomer; Jun 3, 2020 at 8:47 pm
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
Retracted

Last edited by DominicB; Jun 3, 2020 at 9:55 pm Reason: It related to retracted post 6
Old Jun 4, 2020, 12:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I did a status match to TK when bmi went under. It's a great program from a status perspective (6 long haul returns in J got me their black card, good for the current year, two years as black, then soft landing to gold for another two years - so near 5 years of Star Gold). Unfortunately that is where the story ends - redeeming points on them is comical in its complexity. While I did one LON-IST on them and was totally wowed by the experience (proper seats in business, good food, amazing lounges) their usefulness is pretty limited if Turkey is not the actual destination.

The question for me is really more along the line of "what would a status match achieve"? BA may not be the greatest, but if the choice is between flying direct without booze or having limited booze stopping over somewhere in the Arabian desert, I'd go direct. Especially these days where you may plan to only connect in some place and instead you get quarantined (see that QR flight in ATH).
Old Jun 4, 2020, 12:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
TK status matches, A3 is pretty easy, and the US carriers will semi-match giving you a 90-day challenge to retain.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Also a reminder that TK only matches BA Gold to Miles&Smiles Elite and you would need to fly a Turkish Airlines flight within the next 4 months after you have applied.
If you're not planning to fly for a while or if you couldn't take a TK metal flight within the next 4 months.

TK grants a status match for every member once per lifetime so think carefully before applying.
our_kid likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 2:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Any change of a Flyinb Blue match? For those of us in "the regions" KL is very convenient.
redpalmetto likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Mordac
Any change of a Flyinb Blue match? For those of us in "the regions" KL is very convenient.
Not FlyingBlue itself but Delta offers a status match and reduced threshold for the first year for BAEC Bronze/Silver/Gold members. You would be able to use the benefits of Delta Skymiles on both SkyTeam and Virgin Atlantic flights.

See more here,
https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...atch-challenge
Old Jun 4, 2020, 3:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Not FlyingBlue itself but Delta offers a status match and reduced threshold for the first year for BAEC Bronze/Silver/Gold members. You would be able to use the benefits of Delta Skymiles on both SkyTeam and Virgin Atlantic flights.

See more here,
https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...atch-challenge
That's tempting, but I doubt I'd be able to meet the mileage requirements to continue earning status with them, whereas I'm fairly sure I could hack it with Flying Blue!
Old Jun 4, 2020, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mordac
That's tempting, but I doubt I'd be able to meet the mileage requirements to continue earning status with them, whereas I'm fairly sure I could hack it with Flying Blue!
That's true. I might also pursue status on SkyTeam and I'm between Air Europa SUMA and Flying Blue.
You're right about the assumptions that it's hard to maintain status on Delta Skymiles due to the spending requirement.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
That's true. I might also pursue status on SkyTeam and I'm between Air Europa SUMA and Flying Blue.
You're right about the assumptions that it's hard to maintain status on Delta Skymiles due to the spending requirement.
I think the SkyMiles spending requirement is waived if you don't live in the US. This might have changed since I looked into it, though.

Still, status miles are given based on distance travelled, whereas for my travel patterns something like BAEC's TPs or Flying Blue's XPs works better (fewer flights, but on higher cabins). Also Flying Blue award miles aren't quite as worthless as SkyPesos!

Mind the fact that Air Europa will almost certainly leave SkyTeam if the IAG buyout goes through!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.