Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

A Qatar experience in those troubled times-very positive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2020, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold

My trip was QR004 from LHR to DOH with a connection later to PER on QR900.

The first oddity was at T2 to check in for the 004. Interestingly, but maybe not surprising being BA Gold I have never flown out of T2 ever. It was ofcourse quiet but Qs forming for a few middle Eastern flights by the looks of things. The Qatar Airlines Y class Q was gently forming to around 60-70 pax perhaps and this was 2 and half hours before departure. For me I was seen quickly at Business check in, formalities took about 15 minutes, checking if eligible to fly to Australia, and exemption by pass numbers being phoned through. I was provided with a 20 pound refreshments voucher for Boots or WH Smith. No other shops open and advised that they are to be used at the A gate shopping as B Gate shopping all closed. My departure was from B gates.

The aircraft was a 359 Q suite. Boarding quick and easy and all crew in white PPE including hood and full protection goggles. I decided not to take any pictures. Odd initially but amazing how you "get used" to it. The difference with Qatar is that they really try and maintain a sense "normality". Pre flight champagne offered and accepted gratefully. Menu card with hot and cold meals for lunch and snacks. Tray service provided. Good choice of wines.

At Doha the business class lounge and showers open and functioning well. Very quiet.

The flight to PER was on 351. Q suite . Around 8 in Business and not many in Y. The flight of nearly 11 hours was well handled and dine on board still available. Limited overnight menu (it usually is) and normal breakfast menu with less pastries and all provided in plastic covering. Again plenty of sanatisers etc.

Formalities at the other end meant authorities boarding the aircraft and handling out forms. This ofcourse is different to normal and pax were not rushed to leave the aircraft until they were ready. I liked that. The bottom line of all of that now has me and all pax in a quarantine

hotel for the next 14 days.
In these difficult times it's nice to report positively about Qatar Airlines and having travelled previously with them a lot I would never hesitate doing so again. A trip made very bearable thanks to QR
sl00001, Cris L, witthuus and 5 others like this.

Last edited by nivsy; May 25, 2020 at 10:20 pm
Old May 25, 2020, 10:42 pm

Thanks for the report. Do you happen to know if the Al Safwa lounge was open again yet or planning to be?
Old May 26, 2020, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ecanem22
Thanks for the report. Do you happen to know if the Al Safwa lounge was open again yet or planning to be?
The Al Safwa was closed. Not sure when it will reopen. Likely depends on how QR ramp up services and thus passenger numbers safely.
Old May 26, 2020, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
So they bought the full meal service on one tray? The soup/starter/main course/desert all at once?

Thanks for sharing your observations.
Old May 26, 2020, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Schwann
So they bought the full meal service on one tray? The soup/starter/main course/desert all at once?

Thanks for sharing your observations.
Not forgetting the cheese course of course!

is there still an amuse bouche?
Old May 26, 2020, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Neilgcal
Not forgetting the cheese course of course!

is there still an amuse bouche?
Starter comes first separately. Then removed. Main comes next.I never asked for desert. Cheeses were available.
Schwann likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 6:35 am

Programs: AA EXP
Taiwan actually pays some people lost salaries during quarantine.
Redmax likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 7:51 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Thanks for the reporting on how things are currently. I think everyone is keen to know how things are being handled during these trying times.
Schwann likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 10:44 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
A number of posts have been removed as they were against Rules 12 and 13.

Let's keep on topic, and thanks to the OP for the helpful report.

Msm2000uk
QR Forum Moderator
Old May 26, 2020, 5:30 pm

Did you manage to see the seating arrangements in economy?
Old May 26, 2020, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aston100
​​​​​​Sorry no. The load was however very light. They did board by group as usual. No holdups.
Old May 27, 2020, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Thanks for the report nivsy - good to see that QR are doing the best they can to maintain quality onboard catering / service standards (as much as feasible in these troubled times), whilst taking sensible precautions to minimise the potential for contagion.

The journey overall must have been an interesting one - if only in the sense that it clearly would have been quite unlike anything previously experienced during all your previous years of flying !

I note that you’re BA Gold and was wondering if - as as alternative to Qatar - you had considered using* BA to get down to Australia (assuming they are currently still operating to Oz... ?) and, with it, the opportunity to enjoy their new bread & water rations enroute ........

(* er you don’t actually need to answer that question ! )
nivsy likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Aston100
I was most likely in the same aircraft as nivsy, but the other way around on QR901 (PER - DOH).

It was pretty packed in Y (I'll say above 50%, even the crew was surprised) and it looked like a regular seating arrangement. Some rows were completely full (but I guess friends & family only were seating together).

Another interesting point to note is that they didn't offer a menu to economy passengers :-(.

Re the lounge, I can't believe the Qantas lounge in Perth is still closed as WA have already re-opened bar/restaurants for more than a week now. They blame it on "government" restrictions but I am struggling to see the point.

The good news is that Al Mourjan was the only lounge opened in DOH so they let me in with an Y ticket (Platinium status). It was definitely over-staffed with at least 10 pairs of eyes on me from the employee at any given time (except in the toilets).
Aston100 and nivsy like this.
Old May 28, 2020, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by bonboncl
It was definitely over-staffed with at least 10 pairs of eyes on me from the employee at any given time (except in the toilets).
Meaning?
Old May 28, 2020, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlqsko
Meaning?
while not wanting to speak on behalf of the op, maybe meaning "over attentive". They can be and can take a bit of time to get used to. I also was aware of still a fairly large number of employees around the lounge (but not as many as usual).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.