Booking flights in March 2021

Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Booking flights in March 2021

Every year we attend an event in South Africa flying in Club to JNB with a 2-4-1 and Avios. Tomorrow is T-355 for next years dates.

Should we book now or hold off or just not book anything until all this is over - my gut instinct is to book and plan as normal but need to convince other half that this is a sensible (or not) decision.

Appreciate that noone knows what will happen anywhere but what are other people thinking and doing about booking flights that far in the future?

Thoughts?
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Avios bookings are cancellable - albeit with a small loss of Ł35 per person in fees.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
better to book and then be able to cancel than wait and find there are no avios seats availale later.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:07 am

Programs: BA Silver
I would book. Ł35pp is a tiny price to pay vs the lost opportunity.
Soupdragon62 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I am also tempted, in the hope that the small hotels we use in the Western Cape are still in existence ... and all the restaurants and bars we use. A tricky call.

EDIT = Damn ... all Jan/Feb J redemptions gone already! OK, pay cash using the refunds from BA for this year’s non-travel!!

Last edited by T8191; Apr 8, 2020 at 12:02 pm
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Karen762
Every year we attend an event in South Africa flying in Club to JNB with a 2-4-1 and Avios. Tomorrow is T-355 for next years dates.

Should we book now or hold off or just not book anything until all this is over - my gut instinct is to book and plan as normal but need to convince other half that this is a sensible (or not) decision.

Appreciate that noone knows what will happen anywhere but what are other people thinking and doing about booking flights that far in the future?

Thoughts?
Being optimistic I've recently booked flights in January 2021 and will book late March ones too soon just waiting for the April return to open up, assuming if the flight is cancelled i will get a refund or voucher.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Of course grab those seats. Ł35 each penalty if you change your mind is nothing. Maybe don’t book non refundable accom for now
Soupdragon62 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Booked this morning! Fingers crossed that everything gets back to as near normal as possible soon.

Stay safe!
mikeyfly and redpalmetto like this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 3:46 am

I booked last week for next March with Avios - worth the small penalty if I have to cancel.
mikeyfly and redpalmetto like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.