Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMS-AUS Axed Before Launch?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
AMS-AUS Axed Before Launch?

It's not reflecting on my trip via my DL App yet (I booked via DL) but a dummy booking no longer shows the AUS-AMS nonstop I have as bookable. This route was scheduled to begin in May but I'm guessing at a minimum, the launch was going to slip, but given that I'm not seeing this flight operating on the day I'm scheduled to fly (in August), I'm guessing it may be being cut (?). I'm returning via JFK from AMS since I'm returning on a day AMS-AUS wasn't scheduled to operate but checking the following day (a day AMS-AUS was scheduled to operate), I don't see the AMS-AUS nonstop as bookable either, leading me to believe it's been pulled from the schedule.

I won't be at all shocked if AUS is indeed cut before it even launches and can certainly understand secondary cities like AUS being axed given the cutbacks and expected slumps in travel in the wake of COVID-19 - I'm just looking to see if there have been any official announcements anywhere that someone else is tracking.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
There are only 26 longhaul destinations in operation in KLM's slimmed down summer timetable, and only one of these (JFK) merits daily service.

None of the new routes planned are currently going ahead. It is highly unlikely that any of them will go ahead this year.

Note that the US now requires all flights from Europe to land at one of 13 designated airports; the only Texan airport on that list is DFW.

AMS-AUS cannot currently be operated due to US government restrictions.

Please follow the discussion in the existing thread: KLM's S20 timetable - schedule related questions

Last edited by irishguy28; Apr 8, 2020 at 9:58 am
Old Apr 8, 2020, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Do not expect any launch of previously announced new routes for the next 2 years IMHO. And you may expect cancellations of many previously existing routes
Old Apr 8, 2020, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
There are only 26 longhaul destinations in operation in KLM's slimmed down summer timetable, and only one of these (JFK) merits daily service.

None of the new routes planned are currently going ahead. It is highly unlikely that any of them will go ahead this year.

Note that the US now requires all flights from Europe to land at one of 13 designated airports; the only Texan airport on that list is DFW.

AMS-AUS cannot currently be operated due to US government restrictions.

Please follow the discussion in the existing thread: KLM's S20 timetable - schedule related questions
I saw that thread but when I last read it, I saw it referencing the cuts in Spring 2020 (March through May) - I'm asking about a flight in late summer (August/Sept). I totally get and understand if the official decision is "we have no decision right now", but if someone already knows for sure that a route I was planning to fly in Summer is not going to fly (specifically, not going to launch), it lets me know I have to begin working alternate options, which again, is fine with me if that's what I have to do. But again, I was just looking to see if someone had seen something official on it versus me just seeing it on a partner airline that isn't known for its robust IT or for always returning up-to-date information.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Apr 8, 2020 at 12:57 pm
Old Apr 8, 2020, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I saw that thread but when I last read it, I saw it referencing the cuts in Spring 2020 (March through May) - I'm asking about a flight in late summer (August/Sept). I totally get and understand if the official decision is "we have no decision right now", but if someone already knows for sure that a route I was planning to fly in Summer is not going to fly (specifically, not going to launch), it lets me know I have to begin working alternate options, which again, is fine with me if that's what I have to do. But again, I was just looking to see if someone had seen something official on it versus me just seeing it on a partner airline that isn't known for its robust IT or for always returning up-to-date information.
Nothing official has been released of course AFAIK, but there is 0.0000000001% chance that this route will be launched at that date.
irishguy28 and Often1 like this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
but if someone already knows for sure that a route I was planning to fly in Summer is not going to fly (specifically, not going to launch), it lets me know I have to begin working alternate options, which again, is fine with me if that's what I have to do.
That's what you have to do. The route cannot operate for the reasons already given, and will not operate due to the fact that there simply will be no demand for the route even after that.

(Lufthansa, who this week announced a permanent down-sizing of their fleet, have stated that "it will take months until the global travel restrictions are completely lifted and years until the worldwide demand for air travel returns to pre-crisis levels.")

You should consider a new plan that involves remaining where you are and foregoing travel - the Schengen countries are likely to extend their entry ban to foreign nationals once the current 30 day ban expires in mid April.

Last edited by irishguy28; Apr 9, 2020 at 1:27 am
Old Apr 9, 2020, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You should consider a new plan that involves remaining where you are and foregoing travel - the Schengen countries are likely to extend their entry ban to foreign nationals once the current 30 day ban expires in mid April.
Which no doubt explains why AA has again started selling tickets for AMS-DTW from June 4th, and expects to resume AMS-PHL in September or October. They must have a different model crystal ball than you do.

Johan
James91 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Which no doubt explains why AA has again started selling tickets for AMS-DTW from June 4th
Did you mean DL?

They must have a different model crystal ball than you do.
Not a crystal ball - just reporting what was widely reported at the time the ban was introduced.

After I wrote that, the Commission yesterday advised a 30 day extension to the current ban.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After I wrote that, the Commission yesterday advised a 30 day extension to the current ban.
OP is planning to fly in August. The ban would have to be extended several more times to impact his/her plans. I wouldn't put that beyond them, though. Given that the Union, Commission and Parliament have proven themselves completely useless and totally worthless in this crisis, they are probably desperate to prove to the public that they are at least doing something, no matter whether it makes any sense or not. Then they can go back to gouging each other's eyes out fighting over corona bonds, while the parliamentarians fight to keep their daily allowance despite working from home.

The various national governments will no doubt be happy to take the Commission's advice, as they are all hell-bent on cutting GDP by at least 20% this year.

The route ... will not operate due to the fact that there simply will be no demand for the route even after that.
Pretty categorical statement. Given that you by your own admission have no crystal ball, how on earth do you know that nobody will want to fly directly between AMS and AUS once restrictions have been lifted, or when the corona crisis has abated?

Opening new routes will probably not be KL's first priority once things slowly start returning to normal, they will have other priorities, so the OP should indeed consider other options. Yet the fact that he does hold a ticket for the route, and does want to travel, proves that demand is not zero.

I called the plat line the other day to change a bunch of flights, including to, from and within the US. Checking the seat maps for the new flights afterwards I was surprised at the number of seats already taken in J class. There must be more people out there with reservations who are hoping or planning to fly. It would appear that not everybody is considering a new plan that involves remaining where they are and foregoing travel. Plenty of optimists out there. I like that.

Johan
James91 and Thysk like this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pretty categorical statement. Given that you by your own admission have no crystal ball, how on earth do you know that nobody will want to fly directly between AMS and AUS once restrictions have been lifted, or when the corona crisis has abated?
Demand is likely to be soft for some time well into the future on all routes. It seems only logical that KLM's key routes will be the ones to rebound/return fastest. A route that had not yet been opened would therefore seem a poor candidate for a quick "return" (though, of course, it would not be a return at all, as KLM have never flown to AUS!)

But perhaps there is a pent-up wellspring of demand for direct AUS-AMS service? It seems unlikely that demand for the route has grown in the past few weeks. Even if there is outsized demand, I doubt it will be served direct non-stop this summer. AUS, and all other secondary destinations in the US, can be served by KLM in conjunction with Delta. Just as they always have been. This would also help with consolidating KLM's numbers on the routes that slowly start to return.

It could take years to bring traffic back to where it was. That's not me talking - that's Lufthansa's assessment, who have permanently downsized their fleet.
Goldorak and Fabo.sk like this.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Demand is likely to be soft for some time well into the future on all routes.
Maybe.

UA has just announced they will resume daily flights between AMS and EWR on May 4th. I would hope they know a thing or two about demand.

I fully agree, though, AMS-AUS is likely to be at the very bottom of KL's list of priorities. They have other things to worry about. OP should look at alternatives.

Johan
Old Apr 11, 2020, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Maybe.

UA has just announced they will resume daily flights between AMS and EWR on May 4th. I would hope they know a thing or two about demand.

I fully agree, though, AMS-AUS is likely to be at the very bottom of KL's list of priorities. They have other things to worry about. OP should look at alternatives.

Johan
Except that Schengen borders will very lilkely remain closed until....unknown date. So a daily flight from May 4 seems over optimistic IMHO.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 3:42 am

AMS-AUS seems to be toast indeed, from https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...15gmt-12apr20/:

Amsterdam – Austin reservation closed for summer season
Goldorak and irishguy28 like this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KL714
AMS-AUS seems to be toast indeed, from https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...15gmt-12apr20/:

Amsterdam – Austin reservation closed for summer season
Thanks for posting/sharing. Confirms what I suspected (though my reservation on DL.com doesn't reflect the change yet). I guess I'll have to see how the schedules shake out to see what's available to switch to.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 4:22 pm

Programs: Hh Diamond. Marriott Plat. ES, Gold Circle
Thanks for this thread. We are in a different situation because we really don't want to rebook. Bought tickets for the the family to take a summer cruise. Booked thru delta on DL/AF outbound and the KL nonstop AMS-AUS return.
The KL nonstop is no longer showing in the fare search but haven't yet got notification from DL.
These were KL business on return.
*We are hoping to get a refund rather than vouchers.*. I don't see us being able to take the kids anywhere in the same fare class anytime soon.
We had booked flight insurance thru Allianz via Delta.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. It was 7k worth of tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.