Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Will Southwest extend CP/A-List into 2021? (was:CP/A-List Extension into 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold

I wonder if Southwest will extend status into 2021, following the footsteps of other airlines. I doubt that many people will be able to hit it organically with only half the year of "normal" flying.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by greenbags125
I wonder if Southwest will extend status into 2021, following the footsteps of other airlines. I doubt that many people will be able to hit it organically with only half the year of "normal" flying.
Your thread headline is misleading. Please think before posting. Heads like this are a disservice to the forum.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
There have been a few threads including a comment from WN that they are looking into this. Too early to tell what they will decide.

Are we locked down till May 1st, June, July? who knows
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
With Delta and United announcing over the weekend status extensions for a year and reduced status qualifications, it seems more likely WN will follow competitors for A-List and A-List Preferred. But, Companion Pass may be handled differently.
mile ho likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by FindAWay
With Delta and United announcing over the weekend status extensions for a year and reduced status qualifications, it seems more likely WN will follow competitors for A-List and A-List Preferred. But, Companion Pass may be handled differently.
A list, like tier levels at major airlines costs the airline very little.

CP has a real cost,though in some cases, people do fly more since tickets are basically half price.
joshua362 and trouble747 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:15 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
A list, like tier levels at major airlines costs the airline very little.

CP has a real cost,though in some cases, people do fly more since tickets are basically half price.
Except that in my experience in many markets WN is consistently about 1.5x the price of the competition. For flights like OAK-HNL I've been booking Alaska because of the more comfortable seats and elite benefits.(A Hawaii lap is 1/4 of silver status which offers free drinks and snacks on most flights.)
Old Apr 7, 2020, 12:07 pm

Alaska is next to extend all status to 12/31/21 - https://blog.alaskaair.com/coronavir...ked-questions/
808traveler likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold
Here's hoping Southwest is next...

That said, I doubt CP will be extended an entire year. However, even 6 months would be plenty generous.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 1:01 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I was on track for CP at 26 trips in 3 months. I hope I get some credit for that pace.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I was on track for CP at 26 trips in 3 months. I hope I get some credit for that pace.
I had A list in the bag by 7/16/20. But everything I had trips planned for got canceled and I had to reason to travel other than those events so I had to cancel my trips. Have 10 segments so far. Had another 16 booked. I’m down to just 4 segments that I have to do.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:13 pm

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
Airlines extending status just bloats a system that already has too many elite flyers. I'm not sure how it got this way. It didn't used to be, and having status, any status, used to mean something. Much better in my mind would be for the airlines to reduce the qualification requirements for the year to scale for the reduced flying opportunities.
synergistic likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:24 pm

I also think that a blanket extension isn't the right call for the airlines. I think the best solution will be offering promotions focused on rewarding people who get their butts back in seats. Specially crafted status challenges or reduced requirements? Bonus TQP/segments? Likely something for less frequent travelers too, revolving around redeemable points.

Outright extension doesn't provide an inventive to fly with Southwest during the dicey period when things start to resume. If the other airlines are doing that already, Southwest can attempt to poach some of their FF, who can give WN a try without putting their status elsewhere at risk.
bwallet likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Really wondering what WN will do now that UA, DL, and AS have all extended
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:24 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
They just have to be the strongest one still standing.

That will set the terms of their restart battle and what they do or don't have to do for all PAX, not just those that have/had status.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 12:16 am

I'm certain they'll announce something, within the next week or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.