Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A new job for BA's pilots..... [delivering groceries for Tesco]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2020, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite

I have to say, I hugely respect this guy for being willing to roll his sleeves up and do whatever to get through this crisis. I am not surprised by it though. BA's pilots have always struck me as the resourceful and decent sort.

Nonetheless, it's an insight into what so many are probably going through right now. Sad, but inspiring, times.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ry-driver.html

British Airways pilot out of work due to coronavirus is 'back in the cockpit' as he starts new job as Tesco delivery driver

• Peter Login has ditched Boeing 747s for a Tesco Mercedes Sprinter delivery van
  • British Airways pilots were told to take a 50% pay cut in addition to unpaid leave
  • He was praised for his 'dogged spirit' and 'can-do attitude' by friends on Twitter

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Apr 6, 2020 at 5:15 am Reason: Add a summary of the article
Old Apr 6, 2020, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Its amazing all the BA and easyjet crew going to the new Nightingale Hospitals to act as nursing support
navylad, becks1 and HFHFFlyer like this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 4:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
I have to say, I hugely respect this guy for being willing to roll his sleeves up and do whatever to get through this crisis. I am not surprised by it though. BA's pilots have always struck me as the resourceful and decent sort.

Nonetheless, it's an insight into what so many are probably going through right now. Sad, but inspiring, times.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ry-driver.html
More tosh made up by the low life newspaper. Since when did Thomas Cook fly 747s. They claim he is flying 747s for BA but I would bet anythig you like they made that up.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 4:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bradders239
More tosh made up by the low life newspaper. Since when did Thomas Cook fly 747s. They claim he is flying 747s for BA but I would bet anythig you like they made that up.
He worked at DHL cargo, then Thomas cook for 3 years flying presumably A330s or A320s, and joined BA last year converting on to 747s. I couldn't see anywhere in the article which said Thomas Cook had 747s?

Old Apr 6, 2020, 4:58 am

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
How much are you betting again? ;-)

Old Apr 6, 2020, 5:36 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
If you search for him on Linkedin you'll see he's listed as a First Officer on the 747 Fleet since January this year. He needs to "close off" his Thomas Cook listing as it still has him listed on it as current.

Question though, are 747s pilots in short supply? Why would a young officer take a 747 role when it will be retired in a few years (speculatively). I assume he can transfer to other aircraft? To be fair, if I was out of work and the offer came up, I'd take it for sure.

Last edited by dddc; Apr 6, 2020 at 6:26 am
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:12 am

Great to see that he got a job so quickly, but he’s not the only BA colleagues who have been temporarily laid off. Many are looking or already are doing other jobs since they have been told over the weekend that they will not be working for 8 weeks at least, some paid,others do volunteer work for charities and the NHS.
As to why the Daily Mail felt they need to make this a big story I don’t know, but maybe there was also a financial incentive for that.
I really feel for all my former colleagues in this uncertain times and hope they all can make the best of a bad situation.
I wish them luck in volunteering or finding other part time jobs in order to make up their financial losses, as for everyone else in any filed of work who find themselves in a similar position.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Its amazing all the BA and easyjet crew going to the new Nightingale Hospitals to act as nursing support
Virgin Atlantic as well.
becks1 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by KARFA
He worked at DHL cargo, then Thomas cook for 3 years flying presumably A330s or A320s, and joined BA last year converting on to 747s. I couldn't see anywhere in the article which said Thomas Cook had 747s
Looks more like a 757 flight deck in the Thomas Cook photo with his girlfriend. I’d recognise that shade of brown anywhere!
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Good for him.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Speedbird676
Looks more like a 757 flight deck in the Thomas Cook photo with his girlfriend. I’d recognise that shade of brown anywhere!
Good point! I must admit it was just my assumption about A330/A320s. I had forgotten they had operated other types.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:14 am

is there a moral dilemma around taking a second job when you're still sort of being paid a relatively decent wage for your first job and hence depriving the opportunity for those who currently have been made genuinely unemployed **ducks**
u01sss3 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:17 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by jonas123
is there a moral dilemma around taking a second job when you're still sort of being paid a relatively decent wage for your first job and hence depriving the opportunity for those who currently have been made genuinely unemployed **ducks**
I thought that at first... But the BA pilots don't have the same deal as the Cabin Crew / Ground Staff. It says that they have to take unpaid leave, so I think this is a reasonable response.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:33 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
--- deleted ---

Last edited by Howard Long; Apr 6, 2020 at 10:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.