Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Did you get Covid-19 on a flight? / Spread of Coronavirus on a plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2020, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR

Hard to tell if this has been posted elsewhere in the many threads on the virus - but I am curious:

- Any readers here get Covid-19?

- If so, do you think you may have possibly gotten it on a UA flight? (your opinion is fine, since it’s impossible to prove)

- If so, did UA contact you about someone on the flight or did you contact UA? What happened if anything?

And most importantly, if this applies to you, how are you doing / feeling and wish you better health soon if you haven’t yet recovered.
af fp likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by ainternational

- If so, do you think you may have possibly gotten it on a UA flight? (your opinion is fine, since it’s impossible to prove)
Since it often takes days or weeks to surface, connecting directly to any on event is very dangerous. Sort of like people that get food poisoning always seem 100% sure they got it from one certain restaurant they ate at yesterday - and ignoring the other food they ate, people they were around, and places they touched with their hands over the past 24 hours.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:53 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by ainternational
Hard to tell if this has been posted elsewhere in the many threads on the virus - but I am curious:

- If so, did UA contact you about someone on the flight or did you contact UA? What happened if anything?

And most importantly, if this applies to you, how are you doing / feeling and wish you better health soon if you haven’t yet recovered.
As a GS, like youself, I don't know how I would narrow a diagnosis down to a single flight. Unless I happened to be sitting next to someone hacking up a lung/passing out.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I actually DO think I got covid on a flight back in mid February. I even took a picture of the guy across the aisle from me at the time because he freaked us all out so much. I’ll be getting the antibody test later this week to see if I indeed did have it (since we’ve seen stay at home for nearly a month now I don’t imagine it would have occurred during the past month). We’ll see.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I'm curious to follow this thread as I think the international flights to AsiaPac would've detected passengers at the airport prior to boarding aircraft (Singapore, HKG) as they checked everyone temperature. Versus domestic or Europe which basically did nothing and UA would simply have to transport passengers independent of their condition. If can add the route of the aircraft you believe might assist?
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:28 am

I've been at home last 3ish weeks. Unfortunately have to go to LAX for a day or 2 for a "critical" project so if I begin to develop symptoms I atleast can narrow it down. I won't have much customer interaction there so the airport/plane is when I'll be most exposed to people for a extended period of time.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by LReyes66
I've been at home last 3ish weeks. Unfortunately have to go to LAX for a day or 2 for a "critical" project so if I begin to develop symptoms I atleast can narrow it down. I won't have much customer interaction there so the airport/plane is when I'll be most exposed to people for a extended period of time.
Do what everyone else is doing when faced with something they would rather not do "I think I am showing symptoms and need to self-isolate".
cur likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by LReyes66
If you don't want to go, just tell the powers that be that you took your temp today and it was 100.6 F. You will be staying at home for the next 3 days and monitoring your temp.

Of course, it will be back to normal, over the nest 3 days but your "critical" trip will be a memory.

There are few who should be on the road traveling unless they are medical professionals on their way to staff a hot spot (and perhaps you are and LA is ) or involved with the abatement of this plague.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Do what everyone else is doing when faced with something they would rather not do "I think I am showing symptoms and need to self-isolate".
When I get back I have to do a mandatory 14day quarantine as law in Texas. Now wife's gonna have to do all the errands while I'm "unfortunately" locked up in my man cave.

​​​​​​
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: Hertz PC
If you have access to a N95 or surgical mask I feel safe flying on these low density flights.

I could see in future once supplies of mask are abundant airlines require everyone to wear on flights until vaccines are widespread.
QT31415 and littlefish like this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by radonc1
There are few who should be on the road traveling unless they are medical professionals on their way to staff a hot spot (and perhaps you are and LA is) or involved with the abatement of this plague.
Exactly. Other than those specific situations, there is no such thing as a "critical" project. Any company that requires travel right now should be heavily fined and held criminally liable for any repercussions.

Originally Posted by bhunt
If you have access to a N95 or surgical mask I feel safe flying on these low density flights.
A false sense of security. COVID is not airborne, so a mask does not prevent you from getting it unless someone is spitting or breathing on you. And if you have not been trained to use one of these masks properly, you are actually at a greater risk of contracting a disease because you will touch your face more often than someone without a mask.
Eric2203 and Flyerbird like this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 9:11 am

Programs: *wood Marriott P-life, *alliance UA MM, AA MM
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
I'm curious to follow this thread as I think the international flights to AsiaPac would've detected passengers at the airport prior to boarding aircraft (Singapore, HKG) as they checked everyone temperature.
checking temperature is a poor screen for infection or transmission: many false positives and false negatives.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Exactly. Other than those specific situations, there is no such thing as a "critical" project. Any company that requires travel right now should be heavily fined and held criminally liable for any repercussions.

A false sense of security. COVID is not airborne, so a mask does not prevent you from getting it unless someone is spitting or breathing on you. And if you have not been trained to use one of these masks properly, you are actually at a greater risk of contracting a disease because you will touch your face more often than someone without a mask.
I'm in the medical equipment field so I do understand proper use. Taking it off properly is the biggest mistake most make.

Your correct on touching things is where you also get. I use disinfectant wipes in my hands on anything I touch. And Wash Wash Wash
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
...COVID is not airborne..
It's not NECESSARILY airborne. .
Old Apr 6, 2020, 9:58 am

No, I do not believe I have contracted COVID-19 yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.