Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Massive brush fire destroys 3,500 parked rental cars in Florida

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Don't be gentle -- it's a rental!

I knew this saying has been a joke among travelers, but apparently the rental car companies take even less care of their cars than we do. I guess no one bothered to disconnect the batteries on these cars before storing them in a grass field next to the terminal.

3500+ cars destroyed in spontaneous fire at RSW (Fort Myers, Flordia):
https://www.news-press.com/story/new...ed/2946972001/
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KRSW
I knew this saying has been a joke among travelers, but apparently the rental car companies take even less care of their cars than we do. I guess no one bothered to disconnect the batteries on these cars before storing them in a grass field next to the terminal.
3500+ cars destroyed in spontaneous fire at RSW (Fort Myers, Flordia):
In the article did not see any reference to battery or spontaneous. A grass fire, from a cigarette or equal source, could do that. A lot of plastic and combustible material in cars now days.Will be good insurance payout if they succeed,
https://wildfiretoday.com/2020/04/04...eyers-airport/
https://www.winknews.com/2020/04/04/...uthority-says/

Near an NZ airport (ZQN) are 5,000 rentals in a grass paddock
Old Apr 4, 2020, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

I'm going from what I've been told my multiple airport employees know to me. The initial pics I was sent showed a couple of cars almost dead center of the bunch alight. It quickly spread, as these cars were just parked, as-is, full tanks.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 6:25 am

Disconnecting the batteries wouldn't have spared these cars from a spontaneous brush fire. Lee County, where the airport is located, is at extremely high risk for such fires because of the on-going drought conditions.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 6:53 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
That’s one heck of an insurance claim. Hope they paid for the LDW
ryw, Brendan, DesertNomad and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
That’s one heck of an insurance claim. Hope they paid for the LDW
Or a quick way to get some operating capital?
Brendan, Auto Enthusiast and rbwpi like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: Southwest

Due to the coronavirus curtailing travel, the demand for airport rental cars has diminished, resulting in a backlog at many airports. Agencies have had to find alternative locations to store their excess inventory. At Fort Myers, Florida (RSW), over 7,000 rental cars were parked in a field near the airport. On Friday, a brush fire erupted from the nearby wood line and proceeded to destroy 3,500 of these rental cars.

Will such a considerable loss impact the rental car industry and consumer prices significantly?

Old Apr 5, 2020, 2:22 pm

That's one way to sanitize the cars...
lo2e, lougord99, m907 and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I've been flying into/out of RSW for the last decade and it's not been unusual to find slim pickings when checking out a rental. The articles indicated this is about the same number as in the rental car center/structure.
Is this just overflow because of the current coronavirus shutdown?
Old Apr 5, 2020, 5:44 pm

Saw this story too, anyone with info on which companies were affected?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'm going from what I've been told my multiple airport employees know to me. The initial pics I was sent showed a couple of cars almost dead center of the bunch alight. It quickly spread, as these cars were just parked, as-is, full tanks.
I'm curious how multiple airport employees have already completed an investigation into the cause of the fire. Have they shared their findings with the Fire Marshal.

Fwiw, most rental companies perform standard preventative maintenance much more diligently than the average car owner.

Also, fwiw, "full tanks" is pretty irrelevant. The "exploding gas tank" of movie fame just doesn't happen.
writerguyfl, Brendan and ajGoes like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I just heard about this. This article has a video of it... it's massive

It says various companies were affected:

More than 3,800 rental cars, belonging to the various rental car agencies that serve the airport, were undamaged and relocated.
-J.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Hmmm, I hope you where insured. Write off.
TXJeepGuy and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:58 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

It won't impact the industry--at least not in a negative way. There is such a glut of vehicles right now due to demand dropping off a cliff that 3,500 vehicles our of the estimated 2.2M rental vehicles in the US is a drop in the bucket. If anything, assuming that the vehicles were insured, it was actually a blessing since the affected rental companies would get paid for the vehicles instead of having to sell them at a loss.
TXJeepGuy, seawolf, m907 and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:07 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving to the Rental Cars forum to join the existing discussion there. /JY1024, TravelBuzz moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.