Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Strategies for renewing CCR (5,000 TP) in 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2020, 11:50 am
Original Poster

So word on the ground, for business the year 2020 is a write-off - we’re in economic hibernation. Companies preserving cash, employees stood down, furloughed or retrenched. Lots of people are in pain and this post is not intended to diminish that.

[Mod: rule 12 breach redacted]

For those of us that are lucky enough to retain a job, and one that still requires significant travel, what are your strategies for retaining CCR if your current accrual period is less than 12 months?

There is only so much flying at the pointy end that you can do in the time left, assuming normality (no, normalcy is not a word even if a former US President had used it) returns at the tail end of Q3.

What are your strategies? Will BA relent and relax CCR or GGL retention requirements?

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Apr 5, 2020 at 12:05 pm Reason: To comply with rule 12
Old Apr 5, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Wait and See

Not much else I can do at the moment- it is outside my, or anyone else's control
Old Apr 5, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My hunch is that circumstances will see BA roll everything forward a year. I see DL have done just that in the last couple of days.
becks1 and Hoch like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka
There is only so much flying at the pointy end that you can do in the time left, assuming normality (no, normalcy is not a word even if a former US President had used it) ...
Normalcy is a word; it's a synonym of normality. It appears in the online Collins and Merriam-Webster dictionaries, and also in the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary I have on the shelf here in my study. Its first recorded use was in 1855.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: BAEC
Hope for a blanket 12 month extension to all BAEC members. Why BA haven’t implemented this for ease and positive experience on both sides amazes me.

BA decide instead to...Let’s make it difficult and reduce the threshold by 30%, across only 3 months which surely is more challenging and impactful to implement within their business, then just an extension to ALL. One email, one message, one business process.

Anyway I’m now discussing what’s already been discussed in the other thread.
mradey likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
I for one hope they don’t extend or renew status this is a good time to reduce no of Golds, GGLs and CCR members to allow the lounges to be less crowded and reduce cost. Also this could support long term Social Distancing.
Just myself speculating - but I can’t see the CCR’s reopening once the Covid19 crisis is over. With this BA should take the opportunity to reduce some cost and complexity. No need for CCR cards if no CCR rooms!😀😀.
I don’t think any other OW or JV carrier has a CCR type arrangement.
divenow67 and :D! like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 1:29 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by fatmac70
... Just myself speculating - but I can’t see the CCR’s reopening once the Covid19 crisis is over. With this BA should take the opportunity to reduce some cost and complexity. No need for CCR cards if no CCR rooms!😀😀...
Wash your mouth out you!
Old Apr 5, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Wash your mouth out you!
your right - hot water and soap all lined up😀😀😀
Old Apr 5, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
I wonder if we will ever return to what we viewed as 'normal' before this crisis? I suspect that a lot will change and some things may never go back to how they were.

Anyway, I drift off topic. The answer to the OP's question is above; wait and see. It's all any of us can do. I'm fully expecting a blanket extension at some stage later in the year once things become slightly more clear.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 1:50 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
This has been / is being discussed ad tedium in the dedicated thread.

As for BA's concessions? With no end in sight of the effects and scale of COVID-19, nor any idea when airline travel will return to any semblance of what it was even 2 months ago, who knows? I can understand the case for not making a one-off knee jerk response when the end of the pandemic isn't known. It seems reasonable to take more steps periodically as time goes on and I hope that BA will do that. Maybe they'll issue another update tomorrow?

As for the OP - my advice would be to plan to earn 5,000 TPs and hope for the best!
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fatmac70
I for one hope they don’t extend or renew status this is a good time to reduce no of Golds, GGLs and CCR members to allow the lounges to be less crowded and reduce cost. Also this could support long term Social Distancing.
Just myself speculating - but I can’t see the CCR’s reopening once the Covid19 crisis is over. With this BA should take the opportunity to reduce some cost and complexity. No need for CCR cards if no CCR rooms!😀😀.
I don’t think any other OW or JV carrier has a CCR type arrangement.
Unless BA suddenly decides get rid of F, then I can’t see the CCR’s going away. They play a critical purpose for frankly, not that much additional cost.

In terms of other OW carriers with a CCR arrangement? AA FFD or the Al Safwa (QR) in DOH...

While F is likely to reduce in total seat count over the coming years (regardless of COVID), its a key part of BA’s brand and strategy.

And the CCR is a critical differentiator on the JFK-LHR route for high profile passengers.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:15 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
I'm on 4515 points, and both my 500 TP trips in May and July are canned, and my year ends in August. A year roll-forward would be nice.

That said, I think the world will not be the same again after this, and I suspect travel will reduce for a lot of people, myself included. I used to attend lots of conferences in the US but most have now "transitioned" to being virtual, and probably won't transition back again, so even if I do get a 12 month extension, I expect it'll be the last time ever that I approach the 5000 TP again.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
I'm on 4515 points, and both my 500 TP trips in May and July are canned, and my year ends in August. A year roll-forward would be nice.

That said, I think the world will not be the same again after this, and I suspect travel will reduce for a lot of people, myself included. I used to attend lots of conferences in the US but most have now "transitioned" to being virtual, and probably won't transition back again, so even if I do get a 12 month extension, I expect it'll be the last time ever that I approach the 5000 TP again.
I'm sure its slightly industry specific but we normally pay the big bucks to sponsor conferences (which is of course what makes them viable). I can't ever seen focusing more than a token of our sponsorship spend on virtual conferences. Just paying for a speaking slot is only half the game. We want to be able to have casual interactions, drinks, and dinners with clients and potential clients at conferences. And people's attention span will never be there with virtual conferences to the same extent as in person.

Back to the core point - I think you can be pretty confident you will get a CCR card with 4500 TPs to date an an Aug expiration. No guarantees but I wouldn't be sweating it.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by KEJABEDSM

In terms of other OW carriers with a CCR arrangement? AA FFD or the Al Safwa (QR) in DOH...
And the CCR is a critical differentiator on the JFK-LHR route for high profile passengers.
Af Safwa is a 1st class lounge , not akin to the Concorde Room

AA's dining is akin to BA's dining offering at some airports

What makes it a critical differentiaor over other carriers 1st class lounge offerings?
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
What makes it a critical differentiaor over other carriers 1st class lounge offerings?
I think once you've been in the Concorde Rooms you would appreciate there is a difference from other such lounges. It doesn't work for everyone, and there are plenty on here who would put the Cathay Lounges as more enjoyable than CCRs, but I don't share this view. If I never go into a CX lounge ever again I doubt it would register much with me, whereas I would genuinely miss the CCR if that didn't open again. It's partly the people who work there, who bring a wide range of personalities to serving customers there; it's the customers, whether a first timer en route to a trip of a lifetime or a multi Oscar winning household name; the seats and location within T5 and T7; the different facilities from the boardroom to the high tables. It's just different to other lounges, and you can tell that from the almost daily questions in this forum in the past as to how to get into CCR when departing from other terminals or transferring between flights or whatever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.