Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Ravn [7H, etc] suspends air service, to most rural Alaska communities

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Related:

AS to serve CDB among other areas of increased service:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2015224-start-anc-cdb-move-up-akn-dlg-service.html

Press Release from North Slope Borough commandeering some of Ravn's assets up there:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6826849-Emergency-Order-06-2020.html
Print Wikipost

Ravn [7H, etc] suspends air service, to most rural Alaska communities

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2020, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Post Ravn [7H, etc] suspends air service, to most rural Alaska communities

From ADN:
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/avia...a-communities/

Originally Posted by adn.com
The company announced in a statement Thursday it was taking “further actions to drastically cut costs” and further reducing flying operations by 90 percent. Ravn is shrinking its fleet from 30 aircraft to three Dash 8s.

That allows the company to continue service to communities it’s federally required to serve and continue flights to other markets served with the planes, the statement says.

These are the only communities Ravn is serving now: Kenai, Homer, Valdez, King Salmon, Dillingham, St. Paul, Aniak, St. Mary’s, McGrath and Unalakleet.
<snip>
All RavnAir Connect aircraft will be parked and all operations stopped, the company says. RavnAir Alaska Dash 8 flights will continue to operate.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 4:15 pm

So what happens in a case like this it's not like AS has the correct planes, personal or extra cash to backfill the flights. Are the communities just left to fend for themselves or force to hire charters?
Old Apr 2, 2020, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by SNAnghbr
So what happens in a case like this it's not like AS has the correct planes, personal or extra cash to backfill the flights. Are the communities just left to fend for themselves or force to hire charters?
To be seen.

7H is flying to the larger "hub" airports for now, that AS could still service. Smaller ones, well AS would need to pull a few aircraft out of museums
​​​​
Old Apr 2, 2020, 4:50 pm

This is a potentially very serious situation if deliveries of groceries by US mail is stopped to so many remote communities that have no other options except aircraft for food deliveries (other than subsistence). In-state travel in Alaska between communities has been largely shut down to prevent spreading COVID-19 to vulnerable communities that have little in the way of medical facilities, but if a side effect is that small village stores are also quickly emptied of food, that will affect everyone.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
So they aren’t getting anything from that $50b stimulus pot?
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
So they aren’t getting anything from that $50b stimulus pot?
Speculation was from airliners.net is they weren't big enough.

There's a lot of places I wanted to go visit (some with AS miles) that I won't be able to now. And never got to fly the Saab 2000.

And what of DUT? This was a wetlease by AS, not sure if it ever got resolved after the overrun last fall.

Concerned about the communities too... lots of nice folks I've met over the years.

Wonder how 8E is doing?
notquiteaff and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Anchorage Daily News article has been updated and is expansive: https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/avia...a-communities/

Sounds like the cargo needs are mostly satisfied, but the passenger service side has the potential to be a total cluster. DUT was one of the first places that sprang to mind when I saw this; that is a significant city (by Alaska standards) to have no passenger service. Underlines the fact that they really need to figure out how to expand the runway there. DUT-ADK is 444 miles, which is too far to realistically send a Caravan full of people and bags in order to connect to AS at ADK. It's a problem.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by beckoa

There's a lot of places I wanted to go visit (some with AS miles) that I won't be able to now. And never got to fly the Saab 2000.
Can't you fly the Saab 2000 to AKN?
Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Can't you fly the Saab 2000 to AKN?
They are all grounded, the only aircraft left flying in the Ravn fleet (according to the linked article) are 3 Dash 8s. Maybe they will fly again, under Ravn or someone else?
Old Apr 3, 2020, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
They are all grounded, the only aircraft left flying in the Ravn fleet (according to the linked article) are 3 Dash 8s. Maybe they will fly again, under Ravn or someone else?
I'm booked on one to ENA in September. Something tells me that may change before then.
AKLifetimeFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 3:46 pm

Sounds like Ravn officially went under today. Sad day for Alaskan aviation history.

HOM and VDZ are presently without commercial air service. ENA still has Grant running Caravans to ANC.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020...e-to-covid-19/

RavnAir Group will park all 72 of its airplanes and temporarily lay off all remaining staff as passenger revenue continues to decline amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the company said Sunday.”
Old Apr 5, 2020, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020...e-to-covid-19/

RavnAir Group will park all 72 of its airplanes and temporarily lay off all remaining staff as passenger revenue continues to decline amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the company said Sunday.”
I would be shocked to see them come back.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Just saw on adn.com

Sad day in AK aviation.

Granted, this may keep the virus out of said villages, but getting supplies will be difficult at best. May need to revert to more traditional means of getting food.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chugach
Sounds like Ravn officially went under today. Sad day for Alaskan aviation history.

HOM and VDZ are presently without commercial air service. ENA still has Grant running Caravans to ANC.
At least HOM and VDZ are on the road system... others not so fortunate.
Legend717 and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.