Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Amex Delta Changes & New Benefit Changes.

Old Sep 30, 2019, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM

Was just reading Condé Nast article in Apple News. Apparently DL and AMEX are revamping benefits for all DL-branded AMEX, including complimentary access to AMEX CENTURION lounges for AMEX Reserve cardholders. Here’s a link to the article: https://apple.news/AszASILcuTAScUw9NikFBmg

Last edited by ryandc99; Oct 1, 2019 at 9:43 am
Old Sep 30, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Awesome. Some great benefits for the price but some caveats. What chance is there for a non-Medallion Status Reserve Card holder to get upgrades? Probably < 1%.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 7:41 am

The Centurian Lounge could end up being a nice benefit. Unless a club is near capacity and they start turning people away...

I have thought of adding the unbranded Platinum card for that and a couple of other benefits, but couldn't make the $550 AF pencil out on top of the Reserve's $450. Unfortunately, I just renewed my Global Entry a year ago. That would have covered the $100 bump in AF all by itself. I would be interested to know how the comp upgrades with no Medallion status will slot into the existing upgrade priority. I am guessing at the bottom? After all of the FOs have received their unicorn upgrades to First class? If that's the case, it's something of a "paper benefit".

Also wondering where they will plan to take something away. Upgrades and Sky Club floor space are limited commodities. Increasing both on this side means that someone is going to lose out somewhere else.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Awesome. Some great benefits for the price but some caveats. What chance is there for a non-Medallion Status Reserve Card holder to get upgrades? Probably < 1%.
Probably a *lot* less than 1%
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Probably a *lot* less than 1%
Probably targeted at the newer hubs like BOS and SEA where it's easier to score upgrades.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: DL DM
Looks like a few negative changes:

- The bonus RDMs upon reaching spend thresholds are gone. It's now only MQMs you get, no RDMs.
- The SkyClub access for non-Reserve DL Amex holders (Gold/Plat) is now $39, up from $29

Anyone else spot similar "enhancements"?
Xeno, bosman, KenTarmac and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: Delta Plat, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MikeNYC1
Looks like a few negative changes:

- The bonus RDMs upon reaching spend thresholds are gone. It's now only MQMs you get, no RDMs.
- The SkyClub access for non-Reserve DL Amex holders (Gold/Plat) is now $39, up from $29

Anyone else spot similar "enhancements"?
Actually it looks like the SkyClub access for Gold is going away.

https://news.delta.com/consumers-bus...-express-cards
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
For the Reserve card this doesn't seem like a positive change. Global entry and companion upgrades don't seem very useful. The fee is $100 more and we no longer receive 15,000 Skymiles when spending $30k. The new earning structure is fairly useless, so the only new benefit is you can boost multiple times and get 2 sky club entries for a guest. The Centurion Lounge is already overcrowded as is, and this is not going to help.
bjohnsonmn, lsquare and cmx like this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by dc2005b
Actually it looks like the SkyClub access for Gold is going away.

https://news.delta.com/consumers-bus...-express-cards

Oof, you're right. Also, no more MQD waiver available with Gold!

Starting January 1, 2020, you can no longer earn an MQD waiver with the Delta Gold Card.

Starting January 30, 2020, you will no longer be able to access Delta Sky Club® with the Delta Gold Card.

Starting January 30, 2020, you will no longer be able to use Sky Priority Security Access with the Delta Reserve Card.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:21 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
BTW the Reserve is also one of the cards supposedly gaining trip cancellation/delay insurance features:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ect-cards.html
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Great. Make the Centurion Lounges more crowded just like SkyDumps. I already avoid most of them.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: DL Plat
af on the dl plat card increasing for no new benefits if one holds the amex plat charge card :/
cmx likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
Actually a pretty significant downgrade for all 3 cards (Gold, Platinum, Reserve). Of course, they would never advertise it as such.

For Platinum Delta card holders, the annual fee goes up $55, SkyClub access costs more, 10,000 RDMs for every $25k in spend goes away (major downgrade). The only positive change is a $100 credit that can only be used every 4 years (and is already available on dozens of other cards) and a few more points when booking at Delta or using the card at restaurants/grocery stores. However, you can already get 5x points when booking with AMEX Platinum, so that's worthless, and CSR gives 3x points on dining, while the regular AMEX Gold card gives 4x on dining and grocery stores.

Basically, the card is significantly worse but is more expensive. I may drop it now and have held it for ~8 years.
Xeno, bosman, ChinaShrek and 6 others like this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:24 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Here’s a link to the article: https://apple.news/AszASILcuTAScUw9NikFBmg

And the body of article if you can’t access it because you don’t use iOS:
The link works fine even outside an iPhone, and simply redirects to Conde Nast anyway. Here's a direct link:

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/del...-for-travelers
obscure2k and telloh like this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Under normal business travel patters I'd agree 100%. But there can't be many traditional business travelers who don't have status, but do have a Delta Reserve Card. If anything they will probably do ok as I'd imagine they'd be more on the leisure travel itineraries where upgrades are much more possible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.