Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to get out of Cyprus To US ASAP?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

How to get out of Cyprus To US ASAP?

There was a flight to London cancelled yesterday and I heard the next flight out isn't for 2 weeks and now I wonder if there will be enough seats for everyone who wants to get out on that flight.
Is there another way out? Can people pool together to charter a jet out to London or even to Athens and then get a commercial flight out of Athens?

Someone said maybe a ferry to Tasucu and then a 3 day bus ride to Athens, but that sounds like a nightmare.

Last edited by tripweb; Mar 30, 2020 at 9:46 pm
Old Mar 31, 2020, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Are you in the TRNC or Rep. of Cyprus?

If you board the ferry to Taşucu, Mersin, be aware that Turkish Authorities would reject you if you have been to more than one of the 70+ countries in the last 15 days, however both Rep. of Cyprus and TRNC is not in the list. Also, be aware that Greece would not accept you from their Turkish land border if you are not an EU/EEA/CH citizen.

All international flights from Turkey are canceled and the last Qatar Airways and Ethiopian flights from Turkey have already departed yesterday.

Your best way to reach back to the USA is to charter a plane to the UK or another country that does not have an entry restriction at the moment, and take a scheduled flight to the USA.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by tripweb
There was a flight to London cancelled yesterday and I heard the next flight out isn't for 2 weeks and now I wonder if there will be enough seats for everyone who wants to get out on that flight.
Is there another way out? Can people pool together to charter a jet out to London or even to Athens and then get a commercial flight out of Athens?

Someone said maybe a ferry to Tasucu and then a 3 day bus ride to Athens, but that sounds like a nightmare.
You haven't specified your nationality.

Many countries have organised charter flights or have special arrangements. This is UK advice as of 30 March:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-a...turn-to-the-uk
Beware there are a lot of rip-off TAs around!
Old Mar 31, 2020, 6:58 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
If you are in the Republic of Cyprus, have you tried contacting your country's embassy or consulate? Note that some countries do not have embassies in Nicosia but deal with Cyprus business through their embassies in Greece or Israel.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I think the OP is a US citizen as the title of this thread is "How to get out of Cyprus To US ASAP?" but could also be a Green Card holder, etc...

https://www.usembassy.gov/cyprus/
The USA has an embassy at Nicosia
Marambio likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 10:00 am
Original Poster

This is for US citizens going to school in Cyprus as international students for the last year and haven’t been off the island since 2019. School and housing shut down and they need to go back home, but can’t get out due to canceled flights.

Are chartered flights going to be allowed in and out? I don’t understand why commercial flights would be canceled unless the government was blocking traffic.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They should contact the embassy in Nicosia, I'm pretty sure that the USA would arrange something for them.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
This is for US citizens going to school in Cyprus as international students for the last year and haven’t been off the island since 2019. School and housing shut down and they need to go back home, but can’t get out due to canceled flights.

Are chartered flights going to be allowed in and out? I don’t understand why commercial flights would be canceled unless the government was blocking traffic.
Just wondering.. have you had any contact with any US embassy/government group... also how many students are you talking about?
I think your best option is to let the embassy know you are stuck and how many of you are there.

good luck and hope you make it home safe.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Both the Rep. of Cyprus and TRNC is blocking traffic and not allowing commercial passenger flights except repatriation flights.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How many students are in the group? If this was organized by a college or university in the USA, they should be responsible for helping you to arrange travel back to the USA. Larger institutions have study abroad staff as well as staff who administer travel policies.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
head to Tel Aviv and take United to New York...uncertain whether transit through Ben Gurion as a non Israeli is allowed though. Ferry to Israel? Other? Just a thought whether or not my though has legs up to you
Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't do anything until you speak with the Embassy in Nicosia. Do not delay.

What a tragedy if there is a US-organized evac. flight and your people are not on it because they are chasing solutions which are already handled.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 8:14 pm

Contact the US Embassy and also the congressmen and senators of the students. Get US press attention also. Sounds like a strange situation if this isn't known already to US authorities. More to the story?
ISTFlyer and farci like this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I am not sure where the view that the State Department is not aware of the situation comes from. Nothing in the OP suggests that he has even reached out to the US Embassy.

The website for the US Embassy in Nicosia carries a prominent statement on its splash page given that the Embassy is physically closed to foot traffic. A telephone number is also supplied for those with an immediate emergency.

No need to stir up panic by suggesting to the media that nothing is being done when it really is incumbent on a US citizen overseas to do his best to reach out to the nearest Embassy (or consulate) as the case may be. There is also a 24/7 State Department hotline.

"U.S. citizens in Cyprus who require assistance should email the Embassy at [email protected]. "
SJOGuy, GUWonder, farci and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 2:52 pm

Israel has put in place very restrictive protocols since early March. Do not try to use TLV as a gateway to anywhere else. You won't be allowed to board a flight ... or be allowed entry at a port. SEE YOUR EMBASSY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.